Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,101 to 3,120 of 4,472

RR529

Finished up season 1 of the Man in the High Castle last night.

Really interesting alternate history drama overall, though it looks like they may be going a bit more fantastical with it than I had imagined going in, with a character seemingly travelling to the "real world" from their reality in the last moments of the final episode. Though I guess it's not that surprising given the existence of the tapes. Looking forward to see where it goes.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

BearsEatBeets

Watched the first 3 episodes of Stranger Things last night and loving it so far. Each episode being about an hour and 15 mins stopped me from watching another into the early hours. I'm tempted to get another one in now but don't want to get too involved and miss the Champions League build-up.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LN78

@BearsEatBeets I was tempted to buy another month of Netflix to watch it but then I read that they'd split the season to maximise revenue. I hate it when they do that. I'll buy back in whenever the second chunk releases and binge the whole enchilada.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 Apparently the second part comes out early July so not too long to wait. I've pondered getting all the exclusive stuff in my watchlist viewed asap then cancel it for a while. Then just dip back in when the big stuff releases.

BearsEatBeets

LN78

@BearsEatBeets I think that'll probably cross over with the second half of the final season of "Better Call Saul". That would be a good result.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets I liked what I saw of the first episode and a bit. It seems quite a it darker in places too. The last episode of this run is over 2 hours!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BearsEatBeets

@JohnnyShoulder When I first started watching the show I found it darker than I thought it was going to be but yeah I certainly feel this new season has gone a little bit further. It's almost like a film an episode but still well paced to me.

BearsEatBeets

RogerRoger

I'd been watching Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister little and often recently, and finished up the last few episodes over the weekend.

One of the best, most frightening documentaries ever made.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

Has anybody watched "Seinfeld" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm"? A few people I know keep badgering me to watch them - the former of the two shows was even voted the second best written American TV show of all time (after "The Sopranos") so I really feel like I should at least give them a try. The thing is that I don't really get on with sitcoms of the "Friends" or "Big Bang Theory" variety - especially if they have laugh tracks. The other thing is that these things tend not to hit their stride until two or three seasons in, so watching a couple of "taster" episodes doesn't really feel like an option either.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Both are fantastic but not for everyone. Seinfeld is more a traditional sitcom to start with but eventually devolves into a group of psychotic narcissists screwing over literally everyone in sight. Curb your Enthusiasm starts off brilliant and never really lets up. I do love Larry David though.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett You have to watch "Seinfeld' in order to get a lot of what goes on in "Curb" though, right?

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 That’s a good question. There are a lot of in-jokes for sure but I think you could get by and enjoy a lot of the other stuff. But it does play into the success of a show like Seinfeld and what creatives do next.

LN78

@nessisonett Hmmmm. It's this "traditional sitcom" element that has me worried. I do like the sound of the psychotic narcissists,though - that makes it sound like a precursor to "It's Always Sunny" and that show is always good for a chuckle.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Seinfeld is absolutely a precursor to It’s Always Sunny although obviously you could get away with less on network TV back then. Jerry Seinfeld is one of the masters of observational humour so when you combine that with Larry David’s knack for cringe comedy (usually reserved for Jason Alexander), you get a great mix. Michael Richards might have been cancelled in about 2006 before anybody knew what that was but he was always great in Seinfeld too. I think one way to describe the show is that it’s almost like a cartoon strip in TV form. Like The Far Side or something.

LN78

@nessisonett I'll give it a try but I seriously wish there was a way to disable the bloody laugh tracks on these sitcoms. I really hate them.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

Finished Part One of Stranger Things 4 last night and can't wait for the final 2 episodes in July. If the quality can continue through the final season it will end up being one my favourite shows in a long time.

Considering a binge re-watch of The Boys before season 3 of that starts Friday.

BearsEatBeets

Jimmer-jammer

@LN78 I’ve always preferred Frasier but Seinfeld is excellent. There are some classic episodes that are absolute comedy gold. Nothing like a bunch of incredibly selfish people who have no one else but each other.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Th3solution

@LN78 Another fan of Seinfeld here. They are eternally rewatchable and exceptionally quotable. “Man- hands” “Soup Nazi” “Serenity Now” “Yada-yada” “Festivus and the airing of grievances”…. The list goes on and on.
I rewatched most of the first 3 seasons not too long ago and every now and then I’ll just watch one for kicks. Jerry’s acting is the worst part of the show, and his interstitial stand up routines are ‘meh’ most of the time, but the supporting cast is fantastic in their eccentricity and selfish self-destructive behavior.

I’m sure a lot of the humor is seeded in American culture, so I’m not sure how well it hits over in the Old World, but you all seem to like The Simpsons, so Seinfeld should be relatable enough.

I need to check out Curb Your Enthusiasm; I just never took the time. Speaking of, I guess I also need to check out The Sopranos if that’s taken the top seat of American TV.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

Started watching Stranger Things Season 4 tonight, and wow, they really seem to be taking inspiration from A Nightmare on Elm Street this season. It's VERY cool.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LN78

@Jimmer-jammer @Th3solution These are sterling recommendations - I've ordered a pre-owned DVD boxset and I'll take a look after I've finished my Cannon Studios masterclass. I can definitely give "The Sopranos" a hearty thumbs up, Sol. I didn't see it for many years after it aired (I was completely burnt out on Mafia related media after university) but I was glad when I did - its reputation as a cultural milestone is completely deserved. And the ending is a stroke of genius - despite what all the naysayers might suggest.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic