Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,121 to 3,140 of 4,463

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Yeah I think it has taken a few by surprise how gruesome it is in places. It's cool that they have been allowed the creative freedom to go in this direction.

It will be interesting to see how far they wanted to go. If seen a few behind the scenes vids pop up on YouTube but not watched them yet.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@LN78 Mafia related media hasn’t usually been my thing, but I’m willing to give it a shot. I’ve been meaning to for a while so maybe this is the nudge I need.

FYI — Speaking of endings, Seinfeld’s series finale is a pretty big letdown. It’s a shame that it ended with a thud, but in the grand scheme of things I guess it fits with the it’s famous core intent of being “a show about nothing.” When taken in that context it works, but a lot of people were disappointed in it.

Prompted by our discussion, I decided to watch a quick episode from season one last night, and yeah — the laugh tracks are indeed annoying. It seems weird nowadays to use them, but I’m able to quickly tune them out after a while.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy. It does have its own LEGO set, by the way, if you end up really liking it. 😄

Untitled

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LN78

@Th3solution Yeah - I keep seeing "Seinfeld" up there with "Game of Thrones", "How I Met Your Mother" and (obviously) "The Sopranos" on those most disappointing series finale lists.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@Ralizah How far have you got? I don't want to say too much but if you've reached a certain point they aren't really hiding that influence.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LN78

Just watched the first three episodes of Danny Boyle's Sex Pistols show on Disney+. I hope it gets better.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets I've just finished episode 4, so have seen Robert Englund pop up. Is that what you are referring to?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets And I've just seen when they directly reference the character he plays in the next episode.

Ralizah

@BearsEatBeets Episode 3.

The setup for the initial death feels VERY similar to the first major death sequence in A Nightmare on Elm Street.

@JohnnyShoulder Stranger Things has always done a good job of balancing the depiction of extreme violence on-screen with the 'adventure film' vibe early seasons had. I'd be surprised if this season strayed significantly from that. Although the way this monster kills people definitely looks pretty horrifying.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Yeah I got similar Nightmare on Elm Street vibes from that section. As @BearsEatBeets mentions, those get stronger as you get further into the series.

That is spot on analysis. Stranger Things has always felt to me like something like The Goonies or Gremlins but with a darker edge.

BearsEatBeets

@Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder I was expecting a more Goonies sort of feel before I started watching it but as mentioned it's always been darker than that. They're definitely pushing that 15 rating a little bit further this season with those deaths. I like that it never shies away from it's influences and goes all in on them. I thought there were definite 'Aliens' vibes in the second series and assume that is why they got Paul Reiser (Burke). Have either of you finished part one yet?

BearsEatBeets

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets I'm halfway through the 5th episode as I type, but am going to my parents on Friday so will try to finish it off before I go. But I also wanna fit in The Thing on 4K blu ray before I go as I've had it for ages still in the cellophane.

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder Word to the wise on "The Thing" 4k - certain SKUs have a manufacturing fault that causes the sound to de-sync in a couple of spots in later chapters. Might be worthwhile checking which one you have before you rip the cellophane.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Ah that is unfortunate. Cheers for the heads up. Hopefully my copy will be ok.

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets Just finished this part of Stanger Things 4.

That was a fantastic last episode. Although the prison scene was almost too tense for me! 😂

BearsEatBeets

@JohnnyShoulder Hopper has definitely been through it this season. Despite the gruesome deaths it was the scene with him trying to take of his ankle cuffs that made me look away for a second. I kind of feel they struggled a tad with what to do with Mike, Will and Jonathan but overall it's been another great season so far.
I've had my eye on 'The Thing' 4K for a while, got it in an Amazon wishlist waiting on a price drop to twist my arm so thanks for heads up @LN78. Hope your copy is good @JohnnyShoulder.

BearsEatBeets

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets Yeah that scene was pretty gruesome and the sound effects made it even more so! I can't stand spiders and needles, so didn't fare too well in that episode! 😂

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder @BearsEatBeets Just checking that I'm understanding this right, and that the new Stranger Things episodes feature A: a strong uptick in horror and gore, and B: spiders, yeah?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger It is rated 15 I believe so can only go far with the former. And the latter is not too bad, they do feature in one exposition dump, but only breifly, and there a couple of swarms of them bursting out of stuff throughout the season.

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger Have we enticed you into checking it out😁. As @JohnnyShoulder mentions it's 15 rated so not into full-on horror. The spiders do appear with each death but they're not on screen for more than a few seconds each time. I don't consider myself a fan of horror films but love this series. I'd recommend anyone give it a go but if it doesn't appeal to you that's cool.

BearsEatBeets

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic