Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,301

TheBrandedSwordsman

@nessisonett Try the albums First and Second, The Red Album, The Blue Record and then if you want to see how they transitioned to a different style - Yellow and Green.

"Ten thousand toadstools, with right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I wouldn’t expect you to. I’m notoriously awful at simply shooting the breeze and have the - rarely beneficial - super power of killing the mood of a room very quickly by way of opening my mouth.

Anyways, that’s awesome! Which album art is your favourite?

True genuineness actually puts people off. The only way to combat this is with time. Stay true, and one time enemies may become long time friends.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Yellow and Green, definitely, although Red is a close contender. You? How are you anyway and what music have you been listening to recently?

"Ten thousand toadstools, with right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

TheBrandedSwordsman

@nessisonett Did you listen to Baroness yet? Let me know what you think when you've listened.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I like Gold and Grey, with Yellow and Green my close contender. I’m doing well. Today I’ve been going through ‘The Canyon’ again by The Used. What an album, from an unlikely band. I’m not a huge The Used fan by any means but it’s is a truly fantastic record. It’s a double album, recorded analog with no click track...it’s pretty raw and the production is probably a love or hate thing but I think it works really well on this album. The guitar tones in particular are just fantastic.

True genuineness actually puts people off. The only way to combat this is with time. Stay true, and one time enemies may become long time friends.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I'll have to check that out, all I remember about The Used is that Kelly Osborne was dating the singer at one point, he screams majestically at the end of one of their songs, and, according to Jack Osborne, the singer's bandmates call him cauliflower d**k. 🤣

Edited on by TheBrandedSwordsman

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman ha! Yeah it’s definitely worth checking out. Lyrically miles above their usual output as well.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I checked out The Canyon by The Used, not really my preferred style, focusing more on jazz again now. Did you listen to The Night Monitor?

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I completely forgot to check The Night Monitor but I have been listening to Isis. Not sure how I’ve never heard of this band. I listened to ‘Panopticon’ and thoroughly enjoyed it. Backlit is just fantastic!

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Panopticon is probably my favourite album by them. It's super hard to find for an affordable price on vinyl, though.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Let me know what you think if you do listen to The Night Monitor. @nessisonett Try Gwennifer Raymond for a more accessible version of what John Fahey used to do on the guitar.

Thrillho

Mogwai getting #1 in the album charts this week is pretty awesome. I’m liking the album and “Ceiling Granny” is easily my favourite track.

I also picked up the new Hold Steady album which is alright. Finally, I got the latest album by AK/DK who I hadn’t heard of before (they’ve got a few albums now) and I’m liking that to. Strong Holy ***** vibes.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho It’s brilliant that they’ve managed #1 after all these years. Although it also points to sales of albums being rather low which probably isn’t good for the industry!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Thrillho

@nessisonett You can only beat what’s put in front of you. But still pretty awesome for them.

Thrillho

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Thrillho What other stuff do you like to listen to besides Mogwai and the other artists you mentioned recently? @nessisonett What are your favourite albums at the moment?

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I listened to Lesser Matters by The Radio Dept which was really great so I’ve basically had that on repeat. I’m swamped with work at the moment so it’s mostly been 90s rave music as it helps me concentrate.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@nessisonett I tried that album, it wasn't too bad! Have you heard of Nerija? They are a jazz collective from London who feature Nubya Garcia, who played on the Universal Beings album by Makaya McCraven, on saxophone. Might be worth a listen if you're interested? I had the pleasure of seeing them live before the first lockdown and they were truly magnificent in concert.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman No I haven’t heard of them but I’ll give them a go. Some stuff is good to zonk out to while working so I’ll need to find out if that album’s a good one for it!

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman back in the saddle...I’m having trouble tracking down much on The Night Monitor, I don’t have Spotify or anything like that. I found a few YouTube videos that I checked out, it’s all very ambient. Doesn’t seem like something I’d dedicate too much time to listening to.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic