Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 941 to 960 of 2,197

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman John Baizley is a very talented man.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Yeah shame to hear about his accident right? What were your thoughts on that?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Yeah, I go back and forth on Isis but Panopticon is a great album. I haven’t listened to Baroness though, I should definitely check them out.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman it was a terrible accident. I have mad respect for him and all involved for moving on from a traumatic event with a positive outlook.

When I was 21, I was in a serious single vehicle rollover. I was the driver, and had two passengers, one of whom is a close friend. None of us were wearing seatbelts. The vehicle was destroyed. I was partially ejected and my front passenger ended up in the back seat, on top of my rear passenger. We all walked away (though banged up), much to the amazement of first responders as I was consistently reminded.

In hindsight, it had a profound impact on me and marked a turning point in my life (one of many), no question. It’s not the good times that define us and our relationships with others, it’s hardships. I really struggled with the weight of responsibility from that crash, and there were consequences, but ultimately life is a learning experience and sometimes it takes an event that we may not like or understand in the moment, but in the bigger picture, realize that it was an opportunity to dig in and become a better person, a better friend. I thank God for that accident, and for the way he worked through the people in my life, including my humble, compassionate and encouraging friend that was involved, to set me on a different, less selfish path.

In reading John Baizley’s post accident articles, I think he too ultimately wouldn’t change what happened. Life is a journey, one that’s rarely in our control. However, we can control our attitude, our outlook and our actions. That’s what makes us who we are.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Yeah, I mean it isn't really the same thing but I've definitely experienced some troubles in my past, not ones that I would care to share on here unfortunately, but yeah, ultimately, these things do teach us, and it's about responding to them in a healthy, mature way to make us better people. I ordered Yellow and Green tonight.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Try the albums First and Second, The Red Album, The Blue Record and then if you want to see how they transitioned to a different style - Yellow and Green.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I wouldn’t expect you to. I’m notoriously awful at simply shooting the breeze and have the - rarely beneficial - super power of killing the mood of a room very quickly by way of opening my mouth.

Anyways, that’s awesome! Which album art is your favourite?

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Yellow and Green, definitely, although Red is a close contender. You? How are you anyway and what music have you been listening to recently?

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Did you listen to Baroness yet? Let me know what you think when you've listened.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I like Gold and Grey, with Yellow and Green my close contender. I’m doing well. Today I’ve been going through ‘The Canyon’ again by The Used. What an album, from an unlikely band. I’m not a huge The Used fan by any means but it’s is a truly fantastic record. It’s a double album, recorded analog with no click track...it’s pretty raw and the production is probably a love or hate thing but I think it works really well on this album. The guitar tones in particular are just fantastic.

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I'll have to check that out, all I remember about The Used is that Kelly Osborne was dating the singer at one point, he screams majestically at the end of one of their songs, and, according to Jack Osborne, the singer's bandmates call him cauliflower d**k. 🤣

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman ha! Yeah it’s definitely worth checking out. Lyrically miles above their usual output as well.

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I checked out The Canyon by The Used, not really my preferred style, focusing more on jazz again now. Did you listen to The Night Monitor?

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I completely forgot to check The Night Monitor but I have been listening to Isis. Not sure how I’ve never heard of this band. I listened to ‘Panopticon’ and thoroughly enjoyed it. Backlit is just fantastic!

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Panopticon is probably my favourite album by them. It's super hard to find for an affordable price on vinyl, though.

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Let me know what you think if you do listen to The Night Monitor. @nessisonett Try Gwennifer Raymond for a more accessible version of what John Fahey used to do on the guitar.

Thrillho

Mogwai getting #1 in the album charts this week is pretty awesome. I’m liking the album and “Ceiling Granny” is easily my favourite track.

I also picked up the new Hold Steady album which is alright. Finally, I got the latest album by AK/DK who I hadn’t heard of before (they’ve got a few albums now) and I’m liking that to. Strong Holy ***** vibes.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho It’s brilliant that they’ve managed #1 after all these years. Although it also points to sales of albums being rather low which probably isn’t good for the industry!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@nessisonett You can only beat what’s put in front of you. But still pretty awesome for them.

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho What other stuff do you like to listen to besides Mogwai and the other artists you mentioned recently? @nessisonett What are your favourite albums at the moment?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic