Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 561 to 580 of 2,192

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Well, there are a couple of tracks from the OST there but the full thing’s like an hour and a half long and most of it isn’t on there!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

RateYourMusic’s new charts algorithm has finally been implemented and to be honest, I’m relatively happy with the result. Part of me wishes I was a subscriber as I’d adjust the popularity weighting to be quite low as I value consistent ratings from a small group over albums prone to review bombing, positive or negative. At least the new album charts have seen some major shifts, Dark Side of the Moon has dropped all the way to 10th, below Wish You Were Here which I personally prefer anyway. It’s pretty interesting, the top 10, as there’s possibly only 1 or 2 I’d put in my personal top 10. Obviously more popular albums will be the ones rising to the top but it’s good that this new algorithm might help some great bands be rediscovered by a new generation.

The new top 10 is:

1. OK Computer - Radiohead
2. In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson
3. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
4. Kid A - Radiohead
5. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
6. The Velvet Underground & Nico - ditto lmao
7. Abbey Road - The Beatles
8. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars - David Bowie
9. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus
10. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Not a bad list of albums by any stretch of the matter, although it does feel that if you got a group of middle-class guys in their mid 30s to create a list, that would be it. I reckon To Pimp A Butterfly will creep in at number 10 in the next couple of years, as more users join from a younger generation. It continues to be a fascinating site of interest to anyone who loves music, both to find new and interesting music and to revisit older classics.

Edited on by nessisonett

mookysam

@nessisonett Bleurgh, Revolver is better than Abbey Road. I have an aversion to Radiohead because my Dad used to play it on repeat in the '90's and it did my head in.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Kidfried

@mookysam Radiohead post-2000 is so much better than pre-2000. Give it another chance! (And start with A Moon Shaped Pool or Kid A, depending on whether you like more conventional or experimental music)

Kidfried

Black_Swordsman

@Kidfried Do you like In Rainbows? They played Bodysnatchers off that album on 6music this morning, I loved it and added the album to my Wishlist.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I have been listening to JW Francis today, a New York tour-guide influenced by film and literature, hence the name (like C.S. Lewis) I think you would enjoy his debut We Share A Similar Joy. Have a listen and let me know what you think if you can.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Kidfried

@Draco_V_Ecliptic In Rainbows is among my favorite Radiohead albums. I kinda recall making a ranking of some sort here once already, but these kind of rankings change by the minute for me. What hasn't changed is that In Rainbows and King of Limbs are my most listened albums by them. I think those two albums both are really exciting sonically speaking, but are also super well-crafted and unique, and sensitive (is that the right word here?) as well.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@johncalmc The problem is that when these things are decided by an algorithm that collects public votes and sorts them through some sort of magic/maths, more people will rate the albums that are near the top creating a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. The Radiohead albums have way more ratings than most albums on the whole site for example. It’s a flawed concept and personally I find most of the albums in the following hundreds a lot more interesting than the top 10 but it is what it is.

nessisonett

@Kidfried I really like parts of In Rainbows but there are other parts where it kinda drags for me. Kid A is still probably what I consider my favourite of theirs, it sounds so incredibly ahead of its time even now, 20 years after it released. It’s also their most coherent whole, most of their other albums have a strange song or two which don’t quite fit the tone or sound of the rest of the album, like when they decided to drag OK Computer down with songs like Electioneering. I wouldn’t say I’ve really been ‘into’ Radiohead since I was like 15 though, they’re a good gateway into a whole bunch of other genres but not a band I feel like I have to revisit on occasion.

johncalmc

@nessisonett Yeah, it's the same with any system like that. It's pretty much the same with any list ever. Nobody ever agrees with a list. If you agree with a list of the best albums ever it'd be pretty boring. The last thing we need is everyone agreeing on the White Album etc.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

@johncalmc I think the only thing everyone agrees about the White Album is that if those bloody long-haired tw*ts made the album a bit shorter then it wouldn’t cost over £35 on vinyl.

nessisonett

@johncalmc Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f*** the prom queen.

The Rock is a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

mookysam

@Kidfried Cheers for the tip, I’ll give them a listen. I think the song that really did it for me was Paranoid Android. He’d play it on repeat to taunt me! I quite like experimental stuff depending on my mood. Usually prog rock type stuff I guess.

@nessisonett What would your personal non-algorithm top 10 be?

Black Lives Matter

nessisonett

@mookysam Oof, that’s a tough one. I think to be perfectly honest, my personal top 10 probably isn’t what I think the 10 best albums ever are, more that they’re my 10 favourite albums. I’ll exclude live albums and EPs and focus on just studio full releases.

1. Fishmans- Long Season
2. Godspeed You Black Emperor!- F#A#∞
3. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
4. Charles Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
5. Pharaoh Sanders - Karma
6. The Microphones - Microphones in 2020
7. Radiohead - Kid A
8. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over The Sea
9. Slint - Spiderland
10. Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica

Honourable mentions go to The Microphones - The Glow Pt 2 and Mount Eerie, of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer and Red House Painters - Rollercoaster.

Also very very honourable mention to Phil Spector’s Christmas album, if that doesn’t make you believe in Christmas spirit then I don’t know what will. Basically every 60s Christmas song is from that album.

mookysam

@nessisonett Yeah, I just like what I like regardless of whether it could be technically classed as the best or not. Music is quite personal and evokes a stronger emotional reaction than visual media. I haven't heard of most of the acts in your list, but it looks eclectic. Charles Mingus was brilliant! Phil Spector music just makes me think of his criminal trial. I do like his distinct wall of sound technique though.

My own list would probably change depending on my mood.

1. Joni Mitchell - Blue
2. Joni Mitchell - Hejira
3. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
4. The Beatles - Revolver
5. David Bowie - Hunky Dory
6. Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks (I can't choose just one! I lost my digital copy so have been slowly rebuying them individually)
7. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
8. Janis Joplin - Pearl
9. Rufus Wainwright - Release the Stars
10. Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain

Almost in the top ten: Elton John - Follow the Yellow Brick Road; Bob Dylan; Blood on the Tracks; David Bowie - Aladdin Sane; more Joni and The Beatles.
I like lots of individual songs by many artists but struggle to listen to a whole album, so these are some of the album's I enjoy listening all the way through.

Black Lives Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic