Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 2,197

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I have both their albums on vinyl
Some of my favorite musicians in that band. Derek Sherinian was definitely a major influence on my own playing.

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan I really liked Bumblefoot's guitar on that album.(When I was listening to it a while ago).

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett How highly do you rate First Meditations by Trane? (Not to be confused with his other album, 'Meditations')

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Thanks for sharing that dude, that certainly rocks! Amusing use of the word "with" plus I thought the trills on the keyboard towards the end of your solo were amazing. As well as that little melodic/classical sounding part before that.

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman It was this thing he did where he uploaded the track with some room left for a solo and anyone could download it and do their own take on it. A friend of mine challenged me to do it and this was what I got a couple hours later

Voltan

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Ah, phew!

I'm in a similar boat in terms of personal musical ability, if not appreciation. If you hum a note, I can find it on a piano and, if left alone long enough, I can teach myself how to play pretty much any tune, just not with any grace or fluidity. Back in my own youth (bonus geek points for use of the word "youngling" by the way) I was given piano lessons, but suffered the wrath of a nasty teacher and ended up feeling like I'd missed the window of opportunity where it could've become a second nature skill. I also sang in a choir for a couple years but the less said about that, the better.

So it's definitely something I've come to appreciate from a distance and, like you, I'm in awe at what genuine talent can produce, whatever the genre. And I'm grateful you mentioned the cohesive genius of a good orchestra because, when it comes to a cappella groups, I have no idea how they're all able to hear one another and harmonise their voices. Same skill, different instrument, I suppose (and yes, whatever that skill is, they absolutely need to teach it to society at large)!

@mookysam Hey, you never know! Dolly Parton needs to keep Dollywood open somehow! Although you're right, there's no defending the decision to follow Mozart with Cher. I'm sure there'd be a connection if you dug deep enough, but I don't think she ever meant to turn back time quite that far!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Honestly not one of my favourites. Not sure why, it just hasn’t grabbed me in the same way as some of his other albums have.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

RogerRoger wrote:

…there's no defending the decision to follow Mozart with Cher. I'm sure there'd be a connection if you dug deep enough, but I don't think she ever meant to turn back time quite that far!

😂 Bonus points for making me laugh out loud with an unexpected Mozart/Cher joke!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Well Ascension and A Love Supreme are his two masterpieces IMO. And I quite like Giant Steps and Blue Train too.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I already knew the first two, less familiar with the second two, agree 100% that those are his two masterpieces. Ascension features Pharaoh Sanders, does it not?

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I absolutely loved Promises. Cool to see it up for the Mercury and it somewhat makes the other entries look pedestrian in comparison.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yeah definitely, it's great that Pharaoh Sanders is still working to release material such as that, when many musicians his age are already long-retired.

zupertramp

@mookysam interesting. The ear thing. Otosclerosis is what I came up with. Not to minimize what it's like to live with but yeah kinda fascinating as I've never heard of that. If it's any consolation my son had scoliosis so bad he had to have a spinal fusion surgery that was both the scariest thing I've ever had to deal with and the coolest procedure I've ever known anyone to have (in terms of what exactly goes into a spinal fusion). But anyway, hope the hearing aids help.

Never listened to anything in spatial audio. No music anyway. Sounds like it'd be atrocious. Unless the artist went in with that in mind, like you say. Something Trent Reznor would do. Or Imogen Heap.

And yeah I'm with a new isp that actually has data caps standard. There's definitely gonna be a period of adjustment for me.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

Probably the crunchiest song ever recorded. And also the reason that I believe that lo-fi production can add to a song. And by lo-fi, I don’t mean a student with a trust fund whining about how daddy doesn’t love them into GarageBand.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic