Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 2,197

Voltan

Former Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison died at 46.
I can’t say I was a big fan (in fact I prefer Slipknot’s albums he didn’t play on) but it’s shocking news nonetheless. So young 😧

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan far, far too young...I know a few drummers who hold him in incredibly high regard, his impact is undeniable. Strength to his loved ones 💪

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan @Jimmer-jammer R.I.P Joey Jordison. My former band covered (sic) or the song that comes directly after that on the first album, I forget if (sic) is title of that song or just the intro that comes before it, nevermind, I think our drummer did a great job on that one anyway, and it was great fun learning the guitar riffs, our vocalist didn't do too badly either! all-in-all, a successful cover, and he will be a much-missed legend.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett @Voltan @Jimmer-jammer @render This is what I have been listening to today, after I heard a couple of songs from it on last night's Confidential show (Iggy Pop on 6music) In case the link doesn't work search Youtube for Delta Kream by The Black Keys - that's the title of the album.Tell me what you think?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman effectively covering a Slipknot song is no small order (especially older stuff) so congrats on that! I can’t see the video for whatever reason but I do like Iggy Pop quite a bit. I saw an interesting film a few years ago called ‘Coffee and Cigarettes” in which Iggy had a part in. It is essentially a collection of short films revolving somewhat around coffee and cigarettes. Worth a watch if you’re ever in the mood for something a little different.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I'll check that out - the album is called Delta Kream and is by The Black Keys. If you search on Youtube for it and have a listen, let me know what you think!

Also thanks for the comment on the cover, I didn't find the guitar parts too challenging but I was in a traditional melodic death metal band prior to that so I'm sure that had something to do with my ability to play that song.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I quite like The Black Keys but don’t think I’ve heard that album. Thanks!

Edit: just to add to that, if you’re enjoying ‘The Black Keys’, ‘The Harpoonist and the Axe Murderer’ are in the same vein and might be worth checking out.

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

Voltan

Hello. I wrote this

I’m also playing keys in it and singing some harmonies but unfortunately couldn’t be in the video

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan sweet, man! I worked on a short film once about “the crossroads” in which we tied the 27 club into the narrative. Anyways, nice track. Rock on 🤘

render

@Voltan Awesome tune!! Can't believe you didn't make the video.

render

Voltan

@render Unfortunately the distance mattered this time 🤷‍♂️

Voltan

nessisonett

Kinda funny to see British Sea Power rebrand as Sea Power due to the connotations associated with ‘British’ these days. At least there probably won’t be a GB News meltdown over it given the crossover potential between Farage and BBC 6Music is rather slim.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@nessisonett They're another band I always feel I should have listened to more than I ever did. I only have "Do You Like Rock Music?" which is a pretty great album and never listened to anything else.

I'm just impressed that they're still going!

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho The Decline of British Sea Power is a really great album as well. One of those bands who were totally passed over at the time in favour of blander alternatives like Bloc Party and Elbow. The sort of band who’d be in a tiny 4 line article in an issue of NME with the Kaiser Chiefs on the cover.

(I actually googled the issue that their semi tiny review of Decline of BSP appeared in and lo and behold, Bloc Party were on the cover. I rest my case.)

Thrillho

@nessisonett As I’m sure I’ve said on here before, I rotate albums off my phone every couple of weeks and put stuff on I’ve listened to in ages. The first Bloc Party is still a stunner but the second one I still really don’t like at all. I also had forgotten how great Franz Ferdinand’s debut was too.

Going to Leeds festival in 2005 was peak era for that lot; Kaiser Chiefs (introduced by Peter Kay!) followed by Franz Ferdinand one night, Muse headlining the other. I remember seeing the Kooks in one of the tents and it was bedlam. The less said about them the better though.

Thrillho

render

@nessisonett @Thrillho Totally agree British Sea Power are an awesome band, and Decline is a great album, shame they never quite got the exposure they deserve. In fact when I listened to 6 music more back in the day they did get a lot of coverage on Guy Garvey's show along with Doves and Turin Brakes.

Elbow though never reached higher than Cast of Thousands for my money. I saw them at a festival the year that album came out and they must have had no more than 50 people watching. Same festival years later after they went mainstream and it was packed. Just goes to show that what's good isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always good.

render

nessisonett

@Thrillho @render That was such a weird time for British music. There was a time when Kaiser Chiefs and Kings of Leon were like the biggest bands in the UK. It’s as if the public missed having bands like Blur and Oasis in the charts so just pretended that they still liked ‘rock’ music.

zupertramp

@nessisonett came here to say I really enjoyed The Bravery's Sun and the Moon album, which, I was thinking was also around that time but just looked it up to learn they aren't even British. Really thought they were this whole time.

Conversely, it was only a few years ago I found out Dusty Springfield was British.

Needless to say, I don't always know much about the people I listen to lol.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

render

@nessisonett @Thrillho That seems to be the way with music, like there's a fad and all of a sudden there's a lot of like sounding bands out there. It's like they were there all waiting in the wings for just one of them to break through knowing that there would be a need to fill the space with loads more bands that sound the same.

For me that seemed to culminate with the Artic Monkeys who I never really appreciated, but perhaps I was just too old. They pretty much out Kaisered the Kaiser Chiefs and all the rest and seemed to go on to be the face of British music for a while.

@zupertramp I'd forgotten about The Bravery until you mentioned them. They were around that time and seemed to be one of those bands that were there and gone in the space of one album.

render

Jimmer-jammer

@JohnnyShoulder here’s an idea of the texture of The Pathless’ soundtrack. Probably my favourite track:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic