Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 2,197

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I think I'm familiar with Cat's In The Cradle, it's very well-known and they play it on the radio from time to time, so yeah, that one's a classic for sure. I might buy a best of or something one day.;

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Nerija is fantastic. I’m really enjoying them. Thanks for the recommendation!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer That's great, you're welcome, I've seen them live once and they were fantastic, as a guitarist I especially love the guitar work of Shirley Tetteh. Do you know she was initially choosing between metal and jazz for a path to go down, but found the shred-work of metal a bit too challenging for her fingers ,felt more comfortable with jazz, so went down that route instead? Interesting eh?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

i just got another limited edition vinyl, Naturaliste - Temporary Presence. Recorded live in a music shop during a 24-hour rental of the property. 1 of 100.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman that’s very interesting! I find their brand of jazz very accessible, groovy and fun. Sounds like you nabbed a pretty sweet vinyl. Congrats! Been on a bit of a Daft Punk tear myself as of late.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Cool! Daft Punk, that's more dance music isn't it? What do you think of Over-Nite Sensation by Zappa?

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman yes, though that’s definitely selling them short. They recently retired so I decided to go for a deep dive and am still in awe of their last release, ‘Random Access Memories‘. It’s one of my favourite vinyls. I’m listening to ‘Over Nite Sensation’ now as a refresher 😊 classic Zappa!

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Did you know that that album (Over-Nite Sensation) features Tina Turner/the Ikettes doing some of the singing? Good stuff eh? Apparently Ike Turner said that he didn't want them credited on the final recording after he heard the tapes and said "What is this s*it?" Lol

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer What do you think of Zappa's keyboard/piano (if there is any piano , I haven't listened enough tbh) players on his various albums?

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman ha! I didn’t know that, but not too surprised by anything when it comes to Zappa. There’s definitely some keys on some of his tracks, his wide use of many different instruments and styles is all...interesting. He’s a bit of an enigma in popular music and I suppose that’s what I like most about his music.

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman I kind of got on a 90’s Grunge Rock kick this week, so put on some Soundgarden, Shinedown, and Fuel. So, basically just bouncing around from one decade to the next, like usual. As soon as I get sick of one, then I move on to another 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman @Th3solution I’ve also been on a bit of a 90s grunge/indie rock kick. Sebadoh, Drop Nineteens, Built to Spill and such.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Northern_munkey

The new foo fighters album,les claypools flying frog brigade and i've been on a bit of a funkadelic kick...america eats its young is awesome..

Kick out the jams!

nessisonett

@Northern_munkey Maggot Brain is a classic. Glad I grabbed it on vinyl.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Northern_munkey

@nessisonett i only have the remasters on cd..i bought pretty much their entire backlog when i worked in music zone (R.I.P.) and its taken me sooooo long to get round to them..people say hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever but i'll take eddie hazel anyday..maggot brain is one of the best guitar solos of all time..

Kick out the jams!

LordSteev

I've been stuck on A Perfect Circle and Greta Van Fleet lately. Singer for Greta is the reincarnation of early Robert Plant, an amazing voice.

LordSteev

Northern_munkey

@LordSteev i agree..never heard of them before untill i was watching an episode of lethal weapon which had me pulling my teeth out trying to find a led zeppelin song that didnt exist lol...he really is that uncanny..

Kick out the jams!

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman nice! I haven’t heard that one, outside of the song ‘tutu’. I didn’t get a chance to listen to anything particular today but I have Tom Petty’s ‘Mojo’ picked out for tomorrow.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic