Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,061 to 8,080 of 8,930

XandertheWise

watching Come Play on Freevee right now. Movie's really good

XandertheWise

FuriousMachine

Saw "The Boogeyman" at the cinema this weekend and while I enjoyed it, it certainly wasn't anything special. A serviceable creature in the closet movie that I probably won't remember for very long. Good characters and actors helps a story that is very by-the-numbers, I felt.
Haven't read the source material (yet), so can't speak to the faithfulness of the adaptation.

FuriousMachine

XandertheWise

tonight watching the classic 1997 Kevin Kline comedy In and Out. Been a long long time since ive seen that movie when it was on HBO a few times back then

XandertheWise

RR529

Ninja Scroll (Blu-Ray)

Wandering swordsman Jubei winds up getting roped into fighting for the Tokugawa shogunate against the forces of the Hideyoshi clan, particularly a band of 8 evil super ninja with supernatural powers. Joining him are Kagero (a kunoichi, and the last surviving member of a ninja clan slaughtered by the 8), and and old Tokugawa aligned ninja who ensures Jubei's assistance by promising him an antidote to a poison he inflicted our hero with. Along the way he'll have to come to grips with the fact that the leader of the 8 might just be an old foe he thought dead years ago.

This is 90's anime sword & sandal action that goes hard with gore & nudity to oftentimes taboo levels (at one point a man rips off the arms of an opponent and drinks the blood pouring out, and then shortly after is involved in a very voyeuristic rape scene featuring Kagero). It's not much more than that, but it's very good at what it does, and is worth a look depending on your sensitivity/offense tolerances.

Story is pretty simple "boss rush" style progression, but it's enough to keep things going and the 8 reminded me of a ninja-fied version of the rogues gallery from MGS3 for some reason (it was probably the bee guy).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

XandertheWise

watching these movies this weekend

Beastmaster
Batman
Batman Returns
The Wizard

XandertheWise

FuriousMachine

Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse (cinema)
Just got back from this and freakin' loved it! Granted, Into the Spider-verse is probably my absolute favourite Marvel-movie of all time and this one didn't quite live up to that, but I thought it got close. I guess my main problem with this was maybe too many spider-variants this time around and none of them really connected with me the way Noir, Peni, Spider-ham and Peter B. did in the first one (apart from Miles and Gwen, naturally)
Looking forward to Beyond the Spider-verse now

FuriousMachine

Th3solution

@FuriousMachine That’s good to hear! Glad that you enjoyed it. I really had little doubt that Across the Spider-Verse was going to be excellent, based on the first film, but I’m glad to see confirmation. I was going to go see it today but something came ip. Hopefully next week.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

XandertheWise

saw Transformers RIse of the Beasts at the theater yesterday. Pretty good movie.

the Noah character and MIrage do some kind of interesting fusion thing.

that and the thing with G.I. Joe at the end of Rise of the Beasts

XandertheWise

JohnnyShoulder

If anyone fancies something different to the mainstream stuff, then this looks delightfully odd. If Yorgos Lanthimos previous films are anything to go by, it will at very least not be a unforgettable experience, albeit not always that enjoyable. There is also a new Wes Anderson film out this month too.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

XandertheWise

watching Tim Burton Batman and Batman Returns today. currently watching Batman with the commentary track on.

then later tonight ill be watching The Wizard which is on Tubi

XandertheWise

FuriousMachine

@lalefi The one with Ana de Arnas and Chris Evans? That one didn't work for me. I love de Armas and after she kicked all kinds of ass in "No Time to Die", I really wanted this to be a longer version of that.

However, for a spy-action rom-com, the comedy didn't land, the romance felt forced (and I felt she and Chris Evans lacked the chemistry) and the spy-action was... okay, I guess? I suppose it fell victim to me having way too high expectations, but like most of these "streaming originals", I found it quite mediocre.The Marvel cameos were fun, though.

FuriousMachine

JohnnyShoulder

@AgentCooper The Favourite I can recommend. One of the funniest films I've seen in recent times, and I wouldn't class it even as a straight up comedy either.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RR529

Removed - inappropriate

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Watch Hollywoodland instead of The Flash. That movie apparently using CGI to recreate George Reeves is one of the most egregiously vile decisions I’ve seen a studio make.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

PegasusActual93

@nessisonett
Not a fan of using dead actors via CG and I imagine there could be some interesting legal discussions if somebody ever tried to take that to court. There was a Vietnam war film in development called Finding Jack which was going to use a CGI recreation of James Dean, who has been dead since 1955. As you can imagine it caused a media firestorm but give them an inch and I guarantee you studios will take a mile. I don't know how any marketing department couldn't anticipate the backlash of digitally recreating actors who both died tragically young in the 1950s, or that it would not come across as anything other than poor taste.

Edited on by PegasusActual93

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

nessisonett

@LN78 Those two examples are bad but I think it’s so much worse considering the effects on George Reeves’ mental state. His career went nowhere because of Superman causing studios to typecast him. It literally followed him everywhere. Regardless of people’s theories on whether it was suicide or murder, the fact remains that his fragile state and eventual death were essentially caused by the media attention and all-consuming nature of the role of Superman, and now it’s following him this many years after his death. They might as well dig him up and put him on display, that would be just as dignified. The overall AI and deepfake push from techbros and execs across creative industries is disheartening at best, but this casual and callous use of dead men’s faces comes from a place of genuine sociopathy. I just can’t imagine a writer’s room in which nobody pipes up to say that it feels incredibly wrong on many levels.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic