Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,021 to 8,040 of 8,866

FuriousMachine

@LN78 That sucks! Wasted my money on that, then... Bought the 30th anniversary edition a while back, but haven't gotten around to watching it (neither the 4K or the regular Blu). Won't rush to rectify that, then...

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine Yeah - stick to the blu-ray special edition of the extended cut for now. Hopefully Shout Factory or Arrow Video will get hold of the licence and release a decent 4K version at some point.

LN78

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Ah well, I didn't have any edition of the movie apart from a dusty old DVD release, so at least there should be some interesting extras on there that I haven't seen before (I think.. I honestly can't remember what was on the DVD I own, which is now lying in a box in the basement somewhere, along with all my other region 1 imports I can no longer play)

FuriousMachine

RogerRoger

Got to watch The Super Mario Bros. Movie yesterday.

As a movie reported to feature plot and characters, it was average-to-bad, but as a joyful celebration of Mario's enduring legacy, it was a flawless rollercoaster of pure, unbridled fun. I had a big dumb grin on my face from start to finish, and I'm not even a Mario fan, so... mission accomplished, I guess?

Will be interesting to see what the inevitable sequel does, now that they've appeared to burn through every possible nod and reference. Just "more of the same" might lose its charm.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FuriousMachine

@RogerRoger I've never been a Mario fan either, so I probably won't bother with this until it hits streaming

RogerRoger wrote:

... a flawless rollercoaster of pure, unbridled fun. I had a big dumb grin on my face from start to finish...

I love this That is exactly what entertainment should do: entertain! Sure, I like deep character studies, social commentary and high drama as much as the next guy, but I sure won't mind a deeply flawed or otherwise lacking piece of entertainment as long as it makes me smile.

FuriousMachine

LN78

Watched (well in one instance, 'sat through' is probably more accurate of the other) two recent animated movies whilst babysitting the terrible twosome (AKA my niece and nephew) last night. The first was the (weirdly) critically adored "Puss in Boots 2". It's a well made, beautifully animated and witty film with an engaging plot and plenty to say about ego, reputation and aging along with a cracking lupine incarnation of Death (played with zest by "Narcos" actor Wagner Moura)for a villain but it left me a little bit cold, maybe because quite a few of the jokes just didn't land (for me - my nephew thought it was hilarious throughout and he's definitely more the target audience) and I did find one or two of the vocal performances grating after a while. The second movie was "Super Mario Brothers" from Illumination Studios which is a well made, beautifully animated Nintendo commercial with absolutely no plot to speak of, instead consisting of an endless series of Easter Eggs and member-berries (and weirdly inappropriate licensed pop music) that clearly went over the heads of the uninitiated, PlayStation raised kids I was watching with and nothing to say beyond the usual (for these types of movies) and unbelievably trite "friendship/family is great". How exciting. The cutscenes in the last Switch Mario game were better written. Del Toro's "Pinocchio" put them both to shame.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

nessisonett

It’s looking like Jonathan Glazer’s gone 4 for 4 with his movies. The Zone of Interest as of now is sitting in that rare position of genuine universal acclaim. Considering that it’s a Holocaust movie that focuses on how that level of sheer evil was normalised and justified by creating an idyllic lifestyle for its proponents, making it eerily prescient, I expected a least a few big detractors. He’s had one hell of a career though, didn’t realise he did the Virtual Insanity music video back in the day 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Bundersvessel

@LN78 I also sat through Super Mario yesterday and echo your thoughts, I really thought it was absolutely awful, almost shocked how bad it was. The animation was second to none though, it’s incredible the level of fidelity we are seeing now.

Friendly Neighbourhood Discord

NP: Helldivers 2 [PS5] / Breath of the Wild [Switch] / Sea of Stars / Lies of P [XB]

PSN: Bundersvessel

XandertheWise

watching these today

Wolfman 1941
Movedumpster's review of the classic late 1970s early 1980s Doctor Strange tv movie
original 1980s Running Scared

XandertheWise

RogerRoger

FuriousMachine wrote:

That is exactly what entertainment should do: entertain! Sure, I like deep character studies, social commentary and high drama as much as the next guy, but I sure won't mind a deeply flawed or otherwise lacking piece of entertainment as long as it makes me smile.

Couldn't agree more, buddy. I think that's why I ended up laughing at (and with) the Mario movie, because it totally knew what it was, and didn't really try to be anything more. As a result, it ended up being the best version of itself it could be.

There's a time and a place for every type of thing, and a way to enjoy 'em all.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

I can think of worse ways to spend the Bank Holiday:
Untitled
I can't imagine that the 4K restoration is doing the special effects any favours (especially in the rather cobbled together, haphazard "Donner Cut") but I'm especially looking forward to watching the theatrical version - I haven't seen it in at least 15 years.

LN78

Anti-Matter

I watched Little Mermaid live action movie yesterday and it was quite good.
There were some changes compared with cartoon version and it was like hit and miss.
The live action movie still using the plotline from cartoon version with some different approach to make it more natural or make a sense. I quite disappointed for the absence of Body Language from Ursula and Ursula place in live action movie was really creepy.
I gave the score 7/10.
It was quite good but there were some minor things that I felt a little bit disappointed.

Anti-Matter

zupertramp

@Anti-Matter had a friend who saw it and liked it but said it is a maybe a little too dark (disturbing) for young children in some parts. Curious for your thoughts on that... You seem like just the person to ask honestly.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Anti-Matter

@zupertramp
Oh, about Little Mermaid live action movie.
Indeed, there were some darker stuffs from what I watched.
I saw skulls, bones and mermaid's skeleton inside Ursula's Grotto and Ursula herself holding some human skulls when she was singing the part about someone couldn't pay the price. Also, Ariel had to pay with piece of her mermaid scale with some blood to Ursula in order to complete the process of making human transformation spell

Anti-Matter

zupertramp

@Anti-Matter ah, okay thanks. Don't really have small children anymore so not too bothered but I did think it was strange for someone to mention it having potentially dark images because the trailers don't seem like that. But then, if I just imagine the cartoon but it's real life I guess I could see it.

Anyway, thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

SillyBoyJudas

The Little Mermaid was underwhelming. It made me realize just how ridiculous the animated movie was. Haillee Bailey singing was truly amazing. But the movie sucked to me.

SillyBoyJudas

PSN: SillyBoyJudas

colonelkilgore

Watched a few movies over the weekend ranging in quality.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 - both the missus and I really enjoyed it. Felt like a bit of a return to form for Marvel tbh. With only this and Shang Chi hitting it right for me since Endgame.
Fast and Furious 9 - never really been a fan of these but the missus’ daughter wants to go and watch the new one, so we thought we’d catch up. Was ridiculous as expected.
Old - has an awful IMDb score but I quite liked it. Not sure about how all the logic was supposed to work in regards to the aging/time passing but I was entertained and somewhat intrigued here and there.

**** DLC!

BearsEatBeets

@colonelkilgore I'm glad to hear another positive take on GoG 3. I've been slightly concerned due to Marvel's output of late.
I just finished watching Quantumania and felt it was another disappointment. I get that a lot of the Marvel films have always had a quippy, light-hearted tone but this (like Thor4) went massively overboard with it. I find this makes any attempt at actual drama or tension useless. A lot of the earlier films did a far better job at the balance.
About the only positive for me was the main theme played at the credits, awesome tune. I actually purchased it off iTunes after hearing it.

I also saw the James Gunn Suicide Squad the other day. Whilst I still didn't think much of it, (I've never quite understood the appeal of the characters/premise), I did think it was a lot better than the first one and was actually entertaining at times. So the fact Gunn still managed to give me some enjoyment out it gives some hope for GoG 3.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets Agree with you on both points there. After really enjoying Thor: Ragnarök, the next film was a massive disappointment. I will most likely skip Wakanda Forever and Ant-Man. Dr Strange and Multiverse of Whatever was a bit better, but thought it was a wasted opportunity with Raimi involved. There were glimpses of what it could have been, which makes it even more disappointing.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic