Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 7,161 to 7,180 of 7,204

LN78

@RogerRoger That's incredible! I wonder if it was the inspiration for "Lost In Translation".

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 No idea, but there's a lot more footage out there, if you go searching for it. He plays (as in, he actually controls; none of his wild gesticulating from the commercial) the aeroplane sequence from the game and can't stop saying the word "cinematic" over and over. It's kinda hilarious.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

Watched Baz Luhrmann's "Elvis". I've never been the biggest Elvis fan (I grew up in a Beatles and Bowie house) so I'm not sure on the historical veracity (it's all shot in the director’s trademark hyperkinetic, hypercamp fashion which is definitely not fall all tastes) but one thing is for certain - the kid Austin Butler does the best Nicholas Cage impression that I've ever seen. Very entertaining if you can stomach the stylings.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Glad it’s not just me who couldn’t stop quoting Con Air watching Elvis!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett We're being a little harsh on the guy - I thought he was pretty good, especially in the fat,sweaty,Vegas Elvis phase of the movie but yeah "put the bunny back in the box" sprung to mind on more than a few occasions.

LN78

RR529

Lupin the 3rd: Fujiko's Lie (Blu-Ray) - 3rd film in the "Koike" trilogy of Lupin films. Like the two before it, I thought it was thoroughly entertaining. Seemed to suggest a narrative connection to the last two as well, so hopefully the line continues to finish the story.

Trailer:

The Forgotten Battle (Netflix) - Dutch WWII film that centers around the battle for control of a port town near the end of the war, from three different interconnecting perspectives (a town girl who gets caught up in the resistance, a young Dutch guy who joined the Reich in the hopes of escaping his family's poverty, and a British airborne trooper who gets shot down behind enemy lines). It can be a bit brutal, but it's a good watch, showing just how harrowing the experience of war can be for all involved.

Trailer:

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

LtSarge

Just finished watching The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Great sequel! They fleshed out the LOTR universe more and focused on tons more characters, which is great. Moreover, I thought the movie was overall good until the last half hour where it became absolutely awesome. The last couple of scenes were so cool, they alone made the movie so much better.

I'm so excited to watch the last movie in the trilogy now. Might start it up as early as tomorrow!

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

Looks like a sequel to Constantine is in the works with Keanu Reeves returning, and the planned HBO show being scrapped.

I need to rewatch the original as each time I watched I thought the premise was really cool but they just failed to stick the landing. I think there a couple of DC animated films which I've not seen, but he was in one of the Suicide Squad animations which was decent.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, the movie’s a mess but Keanu’s decent. A sequel could be interesting especially with Keanu being in a better place career wise. I honestly think Matt Ryan’s perfect for the role though and it’s a bit of a shame that he’s not getting another shot at a show or movie.

XandertheWise

When was the last time anyone here watched the Lord of the Rings movies especially the special extended edition DVDS?

For me its been pretty much 10 or 12 years since i last watched them

XandertheWise

LN78

@XandertheWise We watch them ("The Hobbit" extended cuts included) every year in the week between Christmas and New Year. Sad but true.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

nessisonett

@XandertheWise My parents bought the extended cuts on DVD so long ago that they were still together! I last watched them a few years ago but I’ve seen the theatrical cuts loads of times. Really want that 4K Blu-Ray set but it’s bloody expensive.

MB81

@XandertheWise I watched the extended editions a few years ago. I liked the theatrical trilogy when I saw them in the cinema, but I LOVED the extended trilogy. Yes it’s exciting but there’s also a real emotional core of that trilogy that elevates it.

I watched High Plains Drifter on Amazon Prime. Man that is a brutal film, with a shocking scene in the first 10 minutes. I can’t imagine it being revered today, but despite its questionable morals, it’s a great Western. Definitely unique while playing on man with no name tropes. Clint Eastwood’s second movie as a director.

PSN: MajorBriggs81

nessisonett

Just read that James Bond is technically no longer on her majesty’s secret service. Didn’t even realise.

RogerRoger

Memory (2022) on Amazon Prime.

This week, Liam Neeson is... [spins Liam Neeson role generator]... ah, a hitman suffering with early onset Alzheimer's, that's a new one. Guy Pearce, Monica Bellucci and Harold Torres join him in giving a reliably solid performance, and there were some interesting moments sprinkled throughout what became quite a dark and brutal movie in places, but I've seen better.

Also, because they're practically a series of movies now, I'll add here that I also watched The Grand Tour Presents... A Scandi Flick whilst I had the app booted up.

Those three are only gonna stop when one of 'em dies. It was nearly May this time. Twice.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JudgeDredd

Contagion

People get sick. Basically. An appropriate title.

I was surprised to see this was made in 2011 considering the parallels with the very real Covid 19. An interesting watch.

JudgeDredd

XandertheWise

found some interesting movies on Tubi today

Hard Ticket Hawaii, Malibu Express and Enemy Gold

trashy movies the type that USA Network should have aired on their Saturday Up All Night

XandertheWise

RR529

Had the main TV all to myself all day, so I watched a lot of movies.

Blade Runner 2049 (Netflix) - Excellent. Now, it could definitely be a slow burn AND it was long (just under 3 hours), but I'd be lying if I said my eyes weren't glued to the screen from beginning to end. Fantastic world building, an interesting narrative surrounding a gripping mystery, they didn't seem to try to sterilize the content (like the original, it's still R rated), and they managed to call back to the original film without being suffocated by nostalgia. Harrison Ford doesn't even show up until the film's final hour.

Trailer:

Lupin the 3rd: the Castle of Cagliostro (Blu-Ray) - This is often lauded as the seminal piece of Lupin the 3rd media, and after finally getting around to it I can safely say all the praise is justified. In spite of being over 4 decades old it's an absolutely gorgeously animated film, and while the core narrative isn't too deep or original (it see's Lupin thrust into the position of a knight in shining armour rescuing a young damsel in distress from a menacing Count in a picturesque small European nation), it's a breezy feel good movie that just brings a smile to your face. It's also the most tame (dare I say family friendly) piece of Lupin media I've ever watched, making it a great introduction point to the franchise. A bit of warning though, in addition to the original Japanese, this release has 3 different English dubs (1992, 2000, & 2000 Family Friendly). The 1992 dub changes some of the character names due to legal issues of the time (Lupin is called "the Wolf"), the 2000 dub uses the correct names but includes tons of added profanity that wasn't present in the original script, and then you have the "Family Friendly" 2000 dub which is based on that dub but removes/alters most of the profanity, making it the most correct dub of the three. I'm absolutely glad I looked that up beforehand, otherwise I would have never guessed the "Family Friendly" labelled option was the most faithful.

Trailer:

Uncharted (Netflix) - I'll admit first thing that I don't know much of anything about Uncharted as a game series (I played part of the first game as a rental over a decade ago), but taking the movie as it's own thing I liked it. It's not high art, but I thought it was genuinely fun. I enjoyed the banter between the leads, and I was entertained by the many larger than life set pieces (many of which I understand are ripped straight out of the games). Dare I say I might like it more than the first Sonic movie (haven't seen the second), & would watch a sequel. I will agree that Tom Holland looked a little too "babyface" for the role, but it wasn't a big deal.

Trailer:

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ralphdibny

Watched Lord of War on Netflix last night. Don't think I've seen it since it came out. Really good movie, not quite as funny as I remember it being but still had some laugh out loud moments.

In other movie news my slow but sure cull of my DVD collection is still on going. Got back to do some archiving via downloading and im Gona start ripping some DVDs I can't find the torrents/torrents with special features for. I feel like I've made some progress though (I am clearly a minor horder) as I have selected some really good/nostalgic movies (including a couple of the first DVDs I ever owned!) for disposal so hopefully I will feel more ruthless next time I cull the main selection.

@RR529 completely agree with your thoughts on BR2049 there! One of my favourite movies from the last 15 years. Despite its run time, I feel it's actually a much easier and more gripping watch than the original. Admittedly the 5 different versions of the original don't help, it becomes a chore to research before you even put the DVD in.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic