Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 7,141 to 7,160 of 8,930

nessisonett

@LN78 I should really watch The Crow again this Halloween. Yes, it’s a bit of a mess but it’s understandable given what happened. The aesthetic is spot on though and it’s just really watchable, if that makes sense.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett So what if it's a Nineties goth's wet dream? I love everything about it, rough edges and all. Banging OST, too.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 The soundtrack is so dated that it’s classic. Bit of NiN covering Joy Division, a Cure bop, some Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, it’s got everything!

LN78

@nessisonett Yup. Interesting to consider when and how "dated" becomes "classic".

LN78

MightyDemon82

@LN78 The Fly is my favourite tragic love story in cinema, I tear up everytime he lifts the barrel of the gun to his head.

MightyDemon82

LN78

@MightyDemon82 It's a brilliant movie. It also set the template for the "idiosyncratic scientist" role that Goldblum would be playing for the rest of his life. Let's be honest, that was just a gift to humanity in general.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

I brought the Lord of the Rings 4K boxset in the Amazon Prime sale thing. I'd had it in a wishlist for a long time and finally couldn't resist at that price. I've never seen the extended cuts so I'm eager to see the new footage. I just need to free up some 4-hour time slots to squeeze them in.

It strangely came with a code for 33% off Gamepass for PC for 3 months.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)

Better. Felt more confident. The kids were more believable, whilst the grown-ups leant more towards the campy nonsense of it all, which worked. Kenneth Branagh was inspired casting. Looked sharper and, with the fictional world now established, was able to keep to a faster, more engaging pace. Might've cried at the end, but only because of the spotlight it shone on Robbie Coltrane.

Can't speak about the ten minutes set in the dark forest, though. Caught enough terrified glimpses to last me a lifetime, and then some. The surround sound almost forced me to leave the room.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger You got scared by a PG rated film?! 🤣

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

MB81

@BearsEatBeets oh man that box set looks good. I don’t really buy physical anymore but might have to make an exception. How much was it on sale?

PSN: MajorBriggs81
GT7 account: MajorBriggs81JP

BearsEatBeets

@MB81 I got it for £40 but it's gone back up a bit now to £50. Still well below the original price but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down again for Black Friday. I probably would have made do with my Bluray copies but with the extended versions in the set too I decided to bite.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

@RogerRoger You got scared by a PG rated film?! 🤣

Well, yeah, and I'm certain most severe arachnophobes would have the same reaction, too, regardless of whether they were seven, seventy, or any age in between.

But hey, thanks for laughing.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I suffer with the same, but don't recall anything that bad the film, but hey maybe I covered my eyes at that part too.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

Watched the original X-Men on Disney+ since I saw it was in 4K and I haven’t seen that one in years. Forgot how good it was actually. Ok, aside from that one Storm line. But we’ve got Joss Whedon to blame for that.

LN78

@nessisonett I could've done without the Storm accent, too. Halle Berry completely dropped it in the sequels.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Now that you mention it, I don’t remember her having an accent in the other movies. It’s a weird one. But it’s still pretty impressive how well the movie holds up despite a couple of little issues.

Ralizah

Rewatched Groundhog Day. Such a superb film. Like Pleasantville and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, it's one of those classic films where the humor arises organically from the premise, and the film becomes a vehicle to explore more universal ideas about human existence.

Bill Murray isn't a great actor, but he was the perfect choice to portray this particular sort of protagonist, and he does an amazing job here communicating Phil's spiritual transformation from the detached narcissist he begins the film as to what he eventually becomes, a creature capable of accepting and even loving the world for what it is.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

CJD87

Some of the catching choices for the original X-Men films are really inspired IMO...

Of course Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is probably one of the best superhero castings of all time, but I think James Marsden made for an excellent Cyclops.

Also... Kelsey Grammar as Beast (!) is a great shout.

CJD87

LN78

@CJD87 @nessisonett Let's be honest, there would have been blood on the walls at SDCC if Patrick Stewart hadn't been cast as Xavier.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I'd encourage you to seek out the scene on YouTube but, if you do indeed suffer from arachnophobia, I'm nowhere near being that cruel. Just take my word for it, and brace yourself if you ever find yourself re-watching the series. It's proper nightmare fuel.

@CJD87 I'm so glad you mentioned Kelsey Grammar's Beast. I think he's the most inspired bit of casting out of the whole series, even moreso than Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen (the latter of whom is Magneto; I never cared for Michael Fassbender in the same role).

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic