Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 7,121 to 7,140 of 8,938

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder @MightyDemon82 It's already been attempted. The whole Multiverse angle was supposed to allow the MCU to explore wider crossovers, beyond the separate Marvel titles, and reportedly scenes were developed to lay groundwork for an MCU Vs. Star Wars movie, but some executives got nervous (for some reason; can't remember what) and pulled the plug.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@Kairu That's a great movie to watch in a double feature with "Stand By Me". Both absolute classics. If you haven't before, Google "Goonies Giant Squid".

LN78

LN78

@RogerRoger "But some executives got nervous (for some reason; can't remember what) and pulled the plug." Presumably because combining the two franchises (just in terms of economics, let alone story coherency)is an extraordinarily stupid idea!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LN78

@Kairu Apologies - it's an octopus. Not a squid.🤣.

LN78

ralphdibny

@JudgeDredd I really like Elysium, wicked film. Haven't watched it in a few years, nor District 9. I should make some time to stick em on again!

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Not stopped them before.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder It has but to a lesser degree - there were plans for other "crossover" movies in the past that got cancelled for various reasons (the "21 Jump Street" meets "Men in Black" and "Die Hard" meets "24" projects spring to mind) but as a general rule I would agree that jawdropping stupidity is never really a barrier to Hollywood executives plowing forwards with badly conceived projects - we live in a world where somebody thought that making a PG-13 rated "Aliens vs. Predator" movie was a good idea.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

nessisonett

Not Angela Lansbury! We better keep Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke safe.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

MightyDemon82

@nessisonett she had a good innings almost 97. Loved watching murder she wrote with my granny when I was a kid!

MightyDemon82

RogerRoger

What a treasure. Rest in peace, Ms. Lansbury.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Took a late, long lunch and watched Commando (1985). Needed to switch my brain off for a bit, so what better than ninety minutes of James Horner going nuts on a steel pan drum whilst Arnie guns down the entire population of a small island nation without reloading? Perfection.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Definitely the greatest opening sequence from any of the Eighties action pictures. It looks like it was shot for a network sitcom.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger One of my faves, and so very quotable.

Untitled

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

@RogerRoger Still need to see that movie!

Speaking of 80s movies though, I finished watching Top Gun (1986) yesterday. It's certainly not the best movie I've seen but it's pretty good. There aren't a lot of movies about fighter jets so it was interesting to watch. Definitely an iconic movie though just like a lot of the movies from that time, for sure.

LtSarge

LN78

A few potential spooky double features lined up for the next few weekends:
"Carrie" and "Christine".
"Evil Dead 2" and "The Cabin in the Woods".
"The Fog" and "The Mist".
"Tremors" and "Arachnophobia".
"The Thing" and "The Fly".
"Get Out" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".
"Ringu" and "Dark Water".

LN78

RogerRoger

@LtSarge I'm nervous about Top Gun. I wanna watch the new one, given its positive word-of-mouth and the authenticity of its action sequences, but feel I should revisit the original first. I've only seen it once before, many years ago, and remember being supremely underwhelmed (was probably too young to "get" it) so fingers crossed it fares better now that I'm older and a little more nostalgic for that era.

Making It So Since 1987

sorteddan

@LN78
There are three film versions of Carrie I recently discovered ... The first (1976) is definitely better than the last (2013). Don't think I've seen the one in the middle (2002) so think I will be looking out for that one soonish.
As for the others, some great stuff on your list - enjoy!

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

LN78

@sorteddan I should've specified. "Carrie" is the De Palma version. "The Fly" is the Cronenberg remake and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is the Kaufman version from the late 70's . Have you got any good horror double features in mind? We watched "Near Dark" and "The Lost Boys" last weekend. They went really well together.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

sorteddan

@LN78
Not double features no.
I'm currently working through Rob Zombie back catalogue and the final destination films for a couple of contrasting approaches to the horror genre. Will probably watch a couple of Romeros of the Dead films, one or two classic slasher and anything else that takes my attention or piques my interest.
I love October in that regards

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

LN78

@sorteddan Romero's "Dead" trilogy (obviously followed by "Shaun") is an annual thing along with "The Crow" and predictably the original John Carpenter "Halloween". I want to see some of the later (and lesser) "Elm Street" and "Friday the Thirteenth" sequels this year if I have time. I also hear that "Psycho 2" is surprisingly good.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic