Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 7,001 to 7,020 of 8,930

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 Yeah that's cool. Is he also in the new film?

And I didn't at all try clicking on the arrow to see more pictures.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LN78

@BearsEatBeets I don't think he's in the new movie - he was at the event because he's in Season 2 of "Loki". The trailer for "Indy 5" that got shown was completely bereft of hints at the plot or the title (which one suspects will be a giant spoiler) but it did reveal that Mads Mikkelsen (to the surprise of no-one) is playing a Nazi villain - and that by extension the rumours of a setting in dual time periods were accurate - and that John Rhys-Davies is returning as Sallah. I'm far too jaded and cynical a person to get dragged along by the hype train but I really do think (and sincerely hope) that the new film is going to be a belter. At least we can rest assured that it can't possibly be as bad as the last movie in the series and that the character will get (another) appropriately rousing send-off.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 That's a shame, it could have been a nice touch to have him back in it. I'm keeping an open mind that they can make a good movie to stand with the original 3 and give a fitting end. I take it that it was one of those trailers for attendees only as I've not seen anything pop up on Youtube. The dual time period idea sounds curious, we're not talking scenes with a digitally de-aged Indy, are we?

BearsEatBeets

LN78

@BearsEatBeets Yeah it was an attendees only trailer unfortunately - I expect it will be playing before "Avatar 2" at Christmas. A digitally de-aged Indy is very much on the cards. They've had an additional year to get the effects spot on, though so hopefully it won't look too bad.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 Well Disney/Lucasfilm did a much better job of young Luke in the second season of Mandalorian that I at least know a totally watchable version can be done 🤞

BearsEatBeets

LN78

@BearsEatBeets I haven't seen that but I was quite impressed with the job they did on SLJ in "Captain Marvel" and I can only imagine the technology has improved since then.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 Oh yeah that too. I thought I had seen a few good examples but struggled to think of them. That suggestion makes me think there might have been a good 'young' Michael Douglas in one of the Ant Man films too.

BearsEatBeets

LN78

@BearsEatBeets It does tend to be a mixed bag, doesn't it? Michael Douglas did look good though. Speaking of Michael Douglas, I watched the shiny new 4K of the first Antonio Banderas "Zorro" movie at the weekend - which features his wife Catherine Zeta Jones as the female lead. It's an absolutely brilliant movie and the transfer is razor sharp except for any scene featuring Ms. Zeta Jones, where it appears that a grip has liberally applied Vaseline to the lens, presumably to flatter her appearance. That was "de-aging" before the age of the digital makeover and 4K resolution - it was so obvious that it gave me a good old chuckle, I must admit.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 I remember that technique. I think one of Dynasty or Dallas (or maybe both) became synonymous for the 'Vaseline' lens to flatter their aging cast. Even harder to get away with in the 4K age.

BearsEatBeets

RogerRoger

@LN78 I heckin' love those Zorro flicks! Funnily enough, I always seem to recall my fondness for them after I've re-watched the Indy films, as well. Can't think why...

Untitled

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger They're probably the best in class (after Indy) in the Saturday Morning Cliffhanger adventure style - not surprising when you consider George Lucss' immediate influences. I also rate "The Rocketeer" very highly. I haven't forgotten about reporting back on "ST:TMP" by the way. Mail strikes and such saw to it that my boxset didn't arrive until this morning.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 @RogerRoger I remember enjoying Zorro but I can't recall ever seeing the sequel. Maybe I'll have to check the streaming services.
The Rocketeer is permenantly in my Disney+ watchlist. I agree it's very Indy-esque and always enjoyable.

BearsEatBeets

JohnnyShoulder

BearsEatBeets wrote:

@LN78 Well Disney/Lucasfilm did a much better job of young Luke in the second season of Mandalorian that I at least know a totally watchable version can be done 🤞

No kidding, I thought that looked absolutely terrible, and that whole scene almost ruined the whole season for me. It certainly put me off getting any more invested in more Star Wars TV series from that point on.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

XandertheWise

watching The Kid Who Became King movie. heard its based on a book or whatever but never read the book that and dont know much about the book anyway

XandertheWise

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, like @BearsEatBeets I've got The Rocketeer on my Disney+ watchlist, too, although I haven't seen it since I was in single digits. Really must make the time for it.

Oh, no worries! I did think to ask about The Motion Picture, but then didn't wanna pester you!

@JohnnyShoulder If I may...

...I think Bears might've been referring to the "much better job" of Luke which showed up in another subsequent show. Compared to his brief appearance in The Mandalorian, it was night and day, and he had a much larger role, too. Was much more active than just standing in place.

Untitled

On the basis of that then yes, a twenty-minute action flashback for Indy is totally possible. I'm also reminded of the flawless work done in Terminator: Dark Fate. It was brief, but brilliant.

Anything is possible nowadays. It's just a question of time and budget.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger From the rumours floating around about "Indy 5" and the digital de-aging, it's not a just a short flashback sequence, but a quite ambitious dual time frame structure - a little like what Coppola did in "The Godfather Part 2". Sounds interesting if it's true.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@JohnnyShoulder Ah yes, thankfully @RogerRoger knew what I meant rather than what I said (typed). I forgot the second appearance (and far superior) of young Luke was in the other show. I could easily watch large chunks of a film with that standard of effect. The first one less so.

BearsEatBeets

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets @RogerRoger Well that was painful, as I couldn't get the spoiler tag to vanish. The Internet around work is criminally poor when using my phone, so that is maybe why.

You are right, that is much better!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

LN78

@JudgeDredd I can never get a grip on how old John Connor is supposed to be in that movie. He must've been born in late '84 or early '85.which makes him 6 years old in 1991 when the movie came out, even though he is clearly an adolescent of around 12 or 13. I've heard it argued that the film is set closer to 1997 (when the nuclear bombs fall) but according to Dr.Silberman, Sarah is 29 years old which would make her 16 at the time of the first movie which obviously can't be right either. Like JC says, it messes with your head.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@JudgeDredd One of the rare occurrences of the sequel (arguably) improving on the original film. Shame they've ground the series into dust since.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic