Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 6,981 to 6,995 of 6,995

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett really looking forward to watching it having heard all the positive reviews. I'd kinda lost hope for the franchise after the last movie but really happy that they seem to have gotten this right.

[removed - inappropriate] ie PlayStation user

Ralizah

Just finished watching Prey, which was... pretty good! Not a huge Predator fan, but it's probably the best film in the series since the original, as it's pleasantly ultra-violent and adopts a 'back-to-basics' approach that works well.

Also, the dog survives until the end, which is always nice.

@nessisonett That didn't really need to be disproved, lol. We've had women helming big sci-fi-action-horror properties since Alien back in 1979.

The 'people don't want women starring in [insert long-running franchise]' line has always been bunk, but you do see it being deployed by both sides for various reasons. The reality is that people just want good entertainment.

Edited on by Ralizah

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

Watched a couple movies yesterday.

Deadpool - Continuing my trip through all the FOX X-Men films. Oh so very raunchy, and a thoroughly good time. Actually managed to be a bit emotional at times too.

National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation - Last of the Vacation movies (before the reboot). It's pretty much more of the same at this point, but another excuse to let Chevy Chase & (especially) Randy Quaid ham it up certainly isn't unwelcome. While the film's version of Rusty is pretty middle of the road, I think it might have my favorite Audrey.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

BearsEatBeets

I got around to watching Prey the other night and like others have mentioned I thought it was a decent film and probably the best attempt at doing something with the 'character' since the original. I thought the title was clever and thinking how I didn't realise it was a Predator film until part way through watching the trailer, it could have been interesting if they had managed to release the film without giving away that it actually was. If they had edited the film a bit differently and tweaked a couple of scenes so that the 'bear' scene was the first time it's revealed it could have been really dramatic. I appreciate way less people would initially watch it but I would imagine the 'word of mouth' would have been pretty explosive once enough people saw it.
Anyway it was very enjoyable with only one minor quibble that only really came to me much later after watching it. (Seriously don't read unless you have watched)
Why did the predator still fire it's homing weapon when it wasn't wearing it's helmet and had no idea where it would go? I'm kind of going with the idea that in it's injured state it maybe had failed to fully realise it was no longer wearing it.
It was a clever idea to go back in time with the franchise and could they probably do something similar with other time periods/places.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

nessisonett

Gutted about Olivia Newton-John passing away. Grease is just a real classic and I’ve got to have seen it about a hundred times by now.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

LN78

@nessisonett I hate everything about that movie (when we were kids my mum had the VHS on repeat whenever we weren't watching "Star Wars") but it is sad news, indeed.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 It’s schlocky for sure but there’s something comforting in its cheese.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

JudgeDredd

Uncharted

Manchild and actual child luck their way through a treasure hunt. The hero doesn't murder 10000 mercs then laugh to himself, zero authenticity points.
Fell asleep twice, would watch a sequel.

JudgeDredd

RogerRoger

I've been laid up with a mild fever for a couple of days, and by Monday evening I was fed up with binge-streaming The Simpsons, so yesterday I got started on a stack of Roger Moore DVDs and Blu-Rays which I got a while back, purchased when I realised that I'd only ever seen him as Bond or Brett Sinclair.

With apologies to @JudgeDredd for stealing his review format, therefore...

The Man Who Haunted Himself (1970)
Jekyll and Hyde psychological thriller in which Roger Moore proves that, contrary to popular belief, he's a damn good actor after all. Slow to get going but the last twenty minutes are worth it.

The Quest (1996)
Written and directed by Jean-Claude Van Damme, this haphazard period caper sees the Muscles from Brussels stumbling into an international fighting tournament. Roger Moore plays a pirate captain who wants to steal the tournament's prize, a solid gold dragon statue. It's ultimately 90 minutes of watching sweaty, half-naked men kick each other, but it's cheesy, charming, and means well, so I liked it.

Gold (1974)
Romantic thriller set in and around a South African gold mine. Slow in places but, again, comes to a satisfying conclusion as the nasty villains kill one another whilst Roger Moore is busy doing all his own stunts in a flooded mineshaft. The kind of movie they don't make any more, for better or worse.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger It was amusing to read about Van Damme's exploits on the set of "The Quest" in one of the volumes of Sir Roger's autobiography. He (Sir Roger, that is) famously held to the maxim that if you can't think of anything nice to say then don't say anything at all, so his (typically self deprecating) attempts to paint his experiences on that film in a positive light are nothing short of wonderful. He was a brilliant bloke.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 He's also tactfully deployed that maxim when asked about Grace Jones. His first autobiography was a genuine treat, but his second sits shamefully untouched on my shelf, and I don't even have the third. I should correct those oversights once I'm done with his back-catalogue.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

XandertheWise

anyone happen to know of old horror movies that basically are rotting away being extinct by Hollywood where theres no proper Shout/Collectors edition blu rays?

the only horror movies i can think of are Mirror, Mirror (1990) and The Keep

XandertheWise

RR529

Watched Piranha (1978) this morning.

Biologically enhanced Piranhas are accidentally let loose from an abandoned military facility and threaten a big lakeside celebration as they work their way downstream.

It's definitely a bit cheesy in spots due to age, but still a pretty fun & effective disaster/horror film overall. Currently free on FreeVee.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic