Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 6,981 to 7,000 of 8,906

LN78

@nessisonett They're both incredible but I like the Monet better, too.
PS Is that really a Monet?
PPS Yes it is!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

ralphdibny

Just watched Thor 4: By the Sea Shore again. Wicked film, much better on second viewing. I think some Marvel films need a second viewing really. Once you know what happens, you can really enjoy the ride.

I still wish Jane could have stuck around but maybe they will bring her (or a version of her) back for Secret Wars

See ya!

LN78

@ralphdibny In the spirit of the earlier conversation in this topic, thanks for demonstrating that there really is no accounting for taste. 🤣.

LN78

LN78

@ralphdibny A while ago Mark Kermode made a joke about booking four tickets for "Thor 4" on Screen 4 at 4PM - "4 for Thor 4 on 4 at 4". I guess you had to be there.

LN78

ralphdibny

@LN78 I remember back in 2011/2012 after Thor had came out but I think before The Dark World came out (I worked on that too). I was working on that Jack the Giant Slayer film as an extra and I was sitting down having lunch with a colleague, both of us dressed in those red soldier suits with the armour and everything.

We were discussing Thor and literally making tongue twisting jokes about Thor 4 becoming a thing even if neither of us truly believed it would go on to become a quadrilogy.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LN78

@ralphdibny I really wish it hadn't. This most recent one was embarrassing for everybody involved but for Waititi in particular. He was on pretty much a perfect run so it's a real shame. I hope it doesn't end up damaging his reputation too much.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

ralphdibny

@LN78 I'm glad it did đź‘Ť. If it's any consolation to you, almost every filmmaker takes on a studio franchise at some point so no filmography is going to be perfect. Hell even Tarantino nearly made a Star Trek film. I'd still love to see it if he did though. Maybe he will do what he did for CSI instead and make a 2 part season finale for Strange New Worlds instead!

See ya!

LN78

@ralphdibny The fact that he took on a studio project is neither here nor there - "Ragnorok" is actually a pretty good movie - one of the few MCU entries that actually has something like a unique creative identity. "Love and Thunder" is borderline incoherent trash that reduces the noble hero (his "long line of *****"monologue in "Infinity War" is my favourite ever MCU moment) to the status of an incompetent clown who plays second fiddle to a glorified tomahawk. Also, if Thor can impart his considerable powers to a gaggle of pre-school kids (endangering children is SO heroic) then why didnt he do it before (for his adult comrades), like when the fate of the universe was at stake during the battle with Thanos? Retroactively destroying the internal logic of the entire series is not a good look,Taika. Glad you liked it though.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

ralphdibny

@LN78 not sure really, Thor has been the butt of the MCUs jokes for a long time and he fits the role well. I think the comedy in Ragnarok was awkward and while it was a bold new direction, it was jarring to say the least. I think L&T is better than Ragnarok but in watching it again today it reminded me (because of the stage play scene) that Hela was in Ragnarok and I freakin loved Cate Blanchett in the role.

Sadly, I think Thor is just better as a supporting character and basically has been since the first Avengers. The humour he's been imparted with is just not that funny when it's the focus instead of the foil. You are right that his most dramatic moments play well but they are few and far between in the MCU.

Maybe I just care more that each film offers that escapism which runs rampant with my emotions. I loved the powered up kids scene, it was epic, funny and emotional all at the same time, especially with the G'n'R backing music.

Thor is a "god" but he's not a particularly clever or quick thinking god so I doubt he thought to power up his avenging buddies with the power of Thor. Plus he is far too vain to share his powers and without suffering the loss that the blip afforded him, he would have never have let go of that vanity (even if he still wields a depressing toned down version of it in L&T to hide his true feelings) enough to admit that he needs help (for a limited time only).

I mean, I'm not going to convince you it's a good film and I don't particularly want to. The marvel films/TV shows are mostly a lot of fun and allow those of us who enjoy them to forget their dreary and depressing lives for a couple of hours. You know, before we have to go back to work, do the big shop, do chores until the sun goes down. Very few of them are food for thought beyond their fantastical yet relatable characters.

See ya!

LN78

@ralphdibny Don't mistake me for some curmudgeonly killjoy - I enjoy some escapist nonsense as much as the next guy. I just prefer entertainment that doesn't insult my (limited) intelligence - judging by your opinions on this bloody awful film (and "Star Trek Discovery") that's clearly not a preference you share. All the power to you.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

XandertheWise

watching House III aka Horror Show on Tubi right now tonight.

its pretty much the same as Destroyer and Shocker

XandertheWise

RR529

Morbius (Netflix) - I actually thought this was pretty okay. It's certainly not the most unique CBM out there & pretty derivative, but it's also not the trainwreck I was expecting based on the memes. I think it may have been a bit more enjoyable had they been able to go a bit harder on the gruesome vampire stuff with an R-rating, but as a Spider-Man adjacent property there's no way that was ever going to happen.

Pinocchio (Disney+) - The new one. It certainly has the look & seems to carry the kind of polish you'd expect from a Disney production, but it just doesn't feel like it has any passion to it. Kinda started to tune out by the end (& did they need to change Monstro from a whale to a literal sea monster). My favorite part of it was probably all the little cuckoo clock cameos in the beginning of the film.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@RR529 Morbius was fine. I watched it when it first came out to theaters and, while I had some issues, I thought it was pretty good. Better than aggressively generic stuff like The Avengers, at least. I do agree it should've gone harder on the horror tone than it did, though.

I think people with a hate boner for Jared Leto started dunking on it, and pretty soon that became the 'trendy' thing to do.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

XandertheWise

watching Rawhead Rex right now. Not bad for a lesser known Clive Barker movie

XandertheWise

LN78

My favourite thing (by a mile) from the Disney Expo. Just adorable.
Untitled

LN78

LN78

@Ralizah @RR529 While "Morbius" was largely forgettable (Matt Smith's performance aside) it certainly wasn't as bad as its reputation suggests (few things are) but it did betrray all the signs (much like the earlier Sony Marvel project "Venom") of having been heavily tampered with in post - probably to tone down on the gore and violence to secure a more family friendly rating. What kind of a genius thought that a Vampire flick without blood was a good idea? Still, better than the current MCU philosophy of making entire movies without scripts, I suppose.

LN78

Jimmer-jammer

The House - Netflix stop motion surrealist anthology film. Each story is centred around a house. I enjoyed this one immensely. The animation is gorgeous and the surrealism is used brilliantly to communicate various themes. One of the better films I’ve seen this year.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

RogerRoger

@LN78 That picture up there is brilliant. Thanks for sharing that, made me smile!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic