Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 6,821 to 6,840 of 8,930

The_Moose

@LN78 "The DCEU has been a complete disaster."

I agree and the tragedy is that it could have rivalled the MCU or M-SHE-U as it should now be called (credit to Nerdrotic).

In its earlier films like MoS, BvsS (Ultimate Edition) set a much darker and adult tone which distinguished it from the other. I wasn't really a fan of SS, but this is where it started going downhill. It redeemed itself and more with WW, but it's obvious that the WB execs were impatient and instead of letting Snyder do his job and build a story, they wanted to do what the MCU did with Avengers in half the time.

The scene of the post apocalyptic film at the end of the Snyder cut looked incredible and it's criminal that it'll never be finished and see the light of day.

The DCEU is dead as a narrative, The Joker wouldn't have been half as successful if it wasn't tackling the subject of mental health, was a boring plot, The Batman I thought was very weak overall, so I don't have much hope going forward.

The MCU is also running into a brick wall, boring plots and characters, identity politics taking a front seat and a overall fatigue of the traditional superhero narrative. It should have ended at Endgame, but those franchise cows need to be milked for all they're worth.

I'm pinning my hopes on the upcoming Rippaverse, hoping it makes a huge success by going back to basics and making Marvel and WB execs have a long hard think about what they're doing.

Edited on by The_Moose

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

nessisonett

@The_Moose Nerdrotic is a saddo grifter who has realised that tapping into a sexist and homophobic audience will get him plenty of views. It was obvious when his Doctor Who videos steadily became a series of buzz words and crap puns about Jodie Whittaker, calling her a dog and referring to her riding a motorbike as ‘dy*es on bikes’. Bringing up somebody with such abhorrent takes that are clearly done for attention says more about you than the whining about identity politics does. What would you suggest Marvel do instead? Ignore the many characters from their comics over the years which are from backgrounds other than white and male? Because that’s what they did for the first 10 years of the MCU. Interesting how franchises like The Hobbit and Fantastic Beasts are never mentioned when it comes to nerd franchises which failed, yet Star Wars, Doctor Who and now Marvel are bad and that’s all the fault of the black, female and gay people.

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett I had to look up who he was. Saw he was one of the "fandom menace" losers and went about my day.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 The reference to the Rippaverse is even more hilarious. It’s literally only known because of Fox News and New York Post articles about a comic company that’s ANTI WOKE and AGAINST CANCEL CULTURE. This all stems from Comicsgate and Gamergate where the big dogs are releasing their own works now… or not. Sargon of Akkad’s video game never actually came out, Ethan Van Sciver’s comic is laughably terrible and even the Comicsgate saddos hate it. Excerpts from Ben Shapiro’s novel are toe-curling, like Jack Reacher if written by a 12 year old who has pin-up posters of Steven Seagal on their wall. I’d stake my life on there never being a single good ‘anti-woke’ bit of media ever. There’s bad media that’s been labelled ‘woke’ of course but there’s definitely a lot of good stuff there. I’m yet to find anything that openly describes itself as ‘anti-woke’ that isn’t utterly dreadful.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

The_Moose

@nessisonett "sexist and homophobic audience"

Becoming disillusioned with long time beloved franchises who push identity politics is not sexist nor homophobic.

"What would you suggest Marvel do instead? Ignore the many characters from their comics over the years which are from backgrounds other than white and male?"

No there's space for all of their characters provided the stories are good, coherent and fit into the overall narrative. The reason the first couple of phases of the MCU were so well liked was not because the heroes were white and straight but because the stories were fresh, gripping and fit into the overall narrative.

Those early phases do have weak films as well. In the run up to end game we start to see the wheels coming off and the identity politics taking centre stage. I couldn't believe all the critical hype surrounding Black Panther, it was a dull movie which the critics were terrified to trash because of the subject matter it dealt with. Captain Marvel movie was a stupid idea for the franchise , they created a character who could have destroyed Thanos' army on her own, but no! In the final battle she needs help from all the female characters because we need that girl power moment. They're not just superheroes, they're female superheros!

Endgame got the MCU over the line and was a decent movie, but they couldn't stop there. Throw that in with the poorly written latest films and series it's not going to end well for Marvel.

"Interesting how franchises like The Hobbit"

I didn't mention it because it wasn't relevant to the discussion, but now you have I'm more than happy to say The Hobbit is a terrible trilogy, I'm not really into Harry Potter so couldn't comment on Fantastic Beasts.

"Star Wars, Doctor Who and now Marvel are bad and that’s all the fault of the black, female and gay people."

You're not listening to the criticism if you think I'm saying gay black females have caused the downfall of Dr Who, SW and MCU. I'm blaming the activist writers with an axe to grind who can't help hijacking beloved series to drive their political and social messages home.

If those talentless hacks really want to write about black/gay/female/trans characters then why don't they create their own shows and universes instead of using already established characters and retconning lore so that it fits their agenda?

Characters are well written when they overcome struggle, aren't perfect, grow and mature, regardless of their skin colour or sex.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

ralphdibny

I just watched Lightyear on D+ (released today!)

Gotta say it was freakin awesome. Absolutely loved it! Nothing will ever hold a candle to the four Toy Story films but this was a great way to revisit the series 👍👍

See ya!

ralphdibny

Hopefully gonna watch Prey this weekend. I'm really excited for it and I hope it is as good as Predator 1 and 3. I really don't want it to be a completely trash letdown like Predator 4.

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I was surprised when Lightyear popped up on Disney+ the other day. Feels like it's arrived on the service worryingly quickly, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. Might add it to my watchlist. I'm also planning on watching the Predator series from start to finish, now that it's all on there.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@ralphdibny @RogerRoger I take it that "Prey" (AKA "Predator 5") is a Disney+/Hulu only affair then? Curses. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for a physical release.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@ralphdibny @RogerRoger yeah I was a little surprised to see it pop up so soon but eager to check it out. (Lightyear)
I forgot Prey was that soon, I’m cautiously optimistic that it will be good. Despite being widely derided I’m curious to see the 4th one too. To my knowledge it’s still absent from Disney + for some reason.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

@LN78 No idea if it's exclusive or not, but if it's been bankrolled for streaming, then chances of a physical release are slim. Disney's intransigence on that point is infuriating, to say the least.

@BearsEatBeets Oh, I figured Disney+ would have the whole catalogue. Such a shame when scattered rights break up a collection like that. I'm sure they'll claw everything back before too long, but an incomplete series makes me hesitant to start, just in case. Ah well.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I've just had a scan around on a few other platforms (Apple TV etc.) and it's nowhere to be found so it would seem it is indeed a D+ exclusive. It's not a Marvel movie so the chances of it getting a disc release are virtually nil. I'll have to try and catch it the next time I'm at my brother's house or something.

LN78

ralphdibny

@LN78 yeah it's a Fox release and therefore Disney. Not sure if there has been a precedent set yet for Direct to Streaming films. The TV shows have so far not made it to physical release.

@RogerRoger @BearsEatBeets I could be wrong but I think it's 45 days from cinema to streaming which is basically no time at all in the scheme of things. I'm perfectly happy waiting 45 days for something that isn't going to have spoilers for an entire series of films (MCU)

Best of luck with the Predator run through Rog. 1 is the best imo. It's deliberately funny and also entertaining from start to finish. 2 is ok but a bit on the nose. 3 is really good but is played straight and isn't as tongue in cheek as the original. I don't even understand 4. It's just really dumb, like Terminator Genisys/Die Hard 5 levels of dumb

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I've got the first Predator on Blu-Ray, watched it for the first time quite recently. I meant to track down the rest of the series, because I enjoyed the movie plenty, but life got in the way. Now that they're all on a one-click streaming service, I've got no excuse!

Funnily enough, Terminator Genisys is also on my "should get around to" watchlist.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

I just watched Prey, it was fairly decent. A million times better than The Predator (4) but nowhere near as good as Predators (3) and ultimately Predator (1). I can't compare it to Predator 2 because I haven't seen it in so long that I forget how it makes me feel when I watch it.

@RogerRoger DILLLLONNNN!!!
Untitled

That's brilliant stuff! Definitely worth watching the rest of them, even the slightly less good ones and the rubbish one.

It just seems to be a thing with these brilliant old action films that have been franchised. Only Terminator got a sequel that was better than its original. 3 and 4 were entertaining enough, 5 was awful and 6 was ok. Tell a lie, Die Hard had a couple brilliant sequels before it moved into "OK" territory with Die Hard 4.0 and crashed and burned with an awful 5th film. Unfortunately it's unlikely there will be a 6th to redeem it.

Stallone's First Blood is a brilliant film. I don't remember First Blood Part 2 and Rambo 3 too well but Rambo (4) is a bit boring but still OK and Rambo 5 is entertaining enough but neither film hits the heights of the original. At least Rocky was pretty excellent all the way through, even into its Creed-quels. Rocky V isn't so bad in retrospect when it's slotted in between Rocky IV and Rocky Balboa and really it has 3-4 brilliant films either side of it.

RoboCop and Beverly Hills Cop share a similar pattern. Two brilliant films followed by a lame and castrated third film. At least RoboCop got a fairly decent remake (though I know not many people share my opinion of the remake 😀)

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Ah, so it's worth working towards, then. Nowadays it's considered a win for a venerable series to hit bang average and merely avoid disgracing itself, so well done Prey, I suppose!

Don't think I've ever outright hated any of the modern attempts to resurrect ageing stars or concepts. I seem to recall thinking that the new RoboCop was okay, but I can't remember much detail about the movie itself, which isn't the best sign, I'm afraid. The second film was my favourite, so probably still is, but I should give them all another run before the game comes out.

The only Rambo and Rocky movies I've ever seen have been the newer ones. I realise that might be sacrilege to some, but I loved Rocky Balboa as a standalone. Alas, the Rambo I saw was the hyper-violent one set in Burma, so I spent most of the time inspecting my shoes.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger RoboCop 2 is my favourite too! I think the most notable thing about the RoboCop remake is how much design it takes from MGS4 and Rising Revengance, I probably wouldn't have thought it was good without that!

I don't hate them really. Every time one came out for many years, I'd watch all the previous films leading up to it. But with so many disappointments, it's meant that tradition has fallen by the way side. I just don't have the time or willpower to sit through The Predator or Terminator Genisys every time a new one comes out. I don't think I will ever attempt to watch Die Hard 5 again though. I am morbidly curious to see what happens in the 45 minutes my body refuses to stay awake for but I suspect it will just be more of Bruce Willis exclaiming "Jesus!" due to a lower age rating...

First Blood is wicked by the way, I suspect you will like it. It's not really an action film, more a character study and exploration into mental health. Something the later Rambo films touched upon as part of the character but didn't really get into so much in favour of just blasting through loads of cannon fodder.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LN78

@RogerRoger @ralphdibny "Robocop 2" is incredibly underrated (though not a patch on the original) but I detested the remake. As with the vast majority of these modern remakes/reboots it just had no reason to exist and it seemed to mistake parody for satire. I'm glad it tanked. "Predator 2" is much better than its reputation suggests.. "Terminator" and "Terminator 2" are the only films in that franchise that count - the others are dreck. Only "Die Hard with a Vengeance" holds a candle to the original in that series. With "Rocky", "Rambo" and "Beverley Hills Cop" it's a case of there's the first (excellent) movie and then a stack of others that are various shades of derivative or cynical (but sometimes entertaining) crap.
PS My 4K blu-ray of "Heat" just arrived. This is very exciting!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

ralphdibny

@LN78 ooo brill, need to give Heat another watch some time! I have to make time for any film over 2 hours though these days. Don't have time on a weekday evening and it's hard to dedicate even a 16th of my waking weekend hours to watching a film.

I knew my opinion of remakes would be unpopular 😅. I just think they are a different thing so I much prefer if they do something differently, but they still have to be good. I thought RoboCop was wicked and Ghostbusters was a lot better than I thought it would be.

I didn't like the Total Recall remake very much at all though. It had some cool moments but overall was just a boring generic film and should have just been called something else and not related to the original Total Recall in any way.

Rise of the Apes was a brilliant remake actually of Conquest of the Apes. It's miles above any of the other remakes i've mentioned and one of my favourite PotA films full stop. I thought Dawn was really bad and War was OK. It's a shame they couldn't keep it up. PotA is one of my favourite film series

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic