Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,641 to 5,660 of 8,892

nessisonett

This is so weird to see, that third picture is literally my uni šŸ˜‚

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Looking forward to seeing you star in the equivalent of this scene, then!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Hahaha, I forgot about that bit in Crystal Skull!

JohnnyShoulder

Watched Mulholland Drive for the first time last night. Brilliant but a very surreal experience.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder definitely surreal. I've seen it many times but never really made much of an attempt to "figure it out." I just enjoy the bewildering ride. And that Rebekah del Rio version of Crying is hauntingly beautiful.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simpleā€”not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp Interesting to find out that it was intended to a TV series as a follow up or spin off to Twin Peaks, but ABC rejected it so eventually Studio Canal picked it up. It does have a very similar vibe to Twin Peaks, although I remember little of that.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder Iā€™m a huge Lynch fanā€¦ and Mulholland Drive is probably my favourite of his movies. He did actually end up doing a sequel to Twin Peaks 25 years after it originally ended, I think it aired around two or three years agoā€¦ and it was for me at least, phenomenal. Iā€™m not a massive fan of comedy and tend to get my laughs from black comedy or just funny weird stuff that happen in other genres. The recent series of Twin Peaks is one such example of tickling my funny-bone. It made me laugh more than anything has in a decadeā€¦ so good.

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore sorry to jump in here but I think I share your general view of comedy, so Iā€™ll impulsively throw this one out there: The Nice Guys. Itā€™s comedy done very well in my opinion, though it admittedly bored most of my friends to tears. I donā€™t believe Ryan Goslingā€™s ever been better, and though it ainā€™t perfect, itā€™s damn funny at times and I thought it was a refreshing 70ā€™s era buddy cop debaucherous romp. Worth a watch on the right night.

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer you are more than welcome jjā€¦ and agreed The Nice Guys was excellent. So disappointing that it bombed financially, as I would have loved a sequel or two. Pretty great movie all around from what I can remember, in fact, Iā€™m probably overdue a rewatch.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore I would pay top dollar to see these two (Gosling and Crowe) together again but alas, the unbalanced books have spoken.

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

I watched The Importance of Being Earnest, the 2002 one. Really enjoyed it actually, itā€™s a hard play to adapt and they did a great job. Colin Firth and Rupert Everett play off each other brilliantly.

Ralizah

Space Jam: A New Legacy is legitimately one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Nonsensical premise, terrible balancing of the real life and cartoon bits, at least thirty minutes longer than it needs to be, a horrid script, cursed CG renderings of the characters during the competition (whatever is happening in this film barely even resembles basketball), unfunny humor, and huge chunks of the film feel like WB just turned this into a big commercial showcasing its catalogue of IPs. Why in hell were Austin Powers, Harry Potter, and The Matrix being extensively and gaudily featured in what's supposed to be a Space Jam sequel?

The dialogue, character relationships, EVERYTHING feel totally forced and artificial. This movie was painful to watch.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Oof, that does not sound good. You know, I don't think I've ever seen the original. Whenever it's been on, I've never been able to sit through it all. Can't say I'm in a rush to see either movie.

JohnnyShoulder

Really hope this doesn't come to anything. Some of my favourite films of recents times are from A24, not keen on them potentially being locked behind Apple TV+.

Kidfried

@Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder The original Space Jam wasn't the best movie ever, but that soundtr
ack is still a favorite of mine. I even bought it on cd a few years back.

Seal's Fly Like An Eagle, Robin S, D'Angelo, Quad City's Space Jam, the Hit 'Em High song. Classics if you ask me.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3z5bQBthcJMlPhI8Zi66tE?si=3569...

So if that second film's soundtrack is alright, I'll probably won't really care about plot or character development.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

zupertramp

@Ralizah this seems to be the consensus. only difference is Lebron appears a more capable actor than Jordan. So I've heard at least... I'll probably skip this, and I don't remember the first one, and I don't want to rewatch it... so I'll never know I guess.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simpleā€”not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder but there's always DVDs/Blurays, no?

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp What are those?

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder Ha... Well, I mean I'm sure you can still purchase them digitally or something right? I'm actually not even sure these days.

Reminds me, I was just in a vintage thrift shop a couple days ago and my kids ran across the CDs and their amazed reaction confused me because like, do they not sell those anymore either lol?

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp Yeah I'm not sure tbh, maybe the odd show or film but I don't think the majority of their content becomes available on physical media. Sure you can still buy them digitally, but that means paying a premium for them. I wouldn't know if they have any sales or anything, cos I've never used the service or owned an Apple product.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic