Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,621 to 5,640 of 8,930

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 A wit as quick as the Flash and as cool as Indy! And @JohnnyShoulder totally beat me to a videoconference gag follow-up there, as well.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder I'm sure Short Round will help him out, he's pretty savvy.

@Th3solution Very nice. I'm trying to come back with a Raiders pun but I'm struggling

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Th3solution

@Gremio108 Raiders of the League’s Spark? Ugh, that’s awful. 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

@Th3solution Better than Runners of the Lost Ark. Which definitely wasn't mine

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

I'm just glad the Flash isn't a Marvel superhero, otherwise I'd be dropping Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skrull and calling it a day.

Anyway, I watched Liam Neeson's latest flick today. This time he was a... [spins giant premise-deciding wheel and waits for it to stop]... ice road trucker? Okay then. He was tasked with carrying equipment across a frozen lake to rescue trapped miners. With a title like The Ice Road, at least it delivered what it promised, which was plenty of big trucks skidding about on (and occasionally falling through) ice. Its worst enemy was the visual effects studio who, despite some stunning location shots, managed to make the whole thing look like a Direct-to-DVD effort from the turn of the century. But it was "free" on Amazon Prime, and wisely kept itself under two hours, so it managed to hold my focus.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Black Widow was OK. Too long, flaccid action scenes and it was let down by yet another bloody flying base trope.

Plot was at least different than I expected. Good teases in the post-credits thingy. It was probably the weakest MCU movie in a while though. It’s not outright bad like Iron Man 2 and 3 and that crap Hulk movie but it felt rote and downright pointless at times. 4 years ago it would have been a lot better. I still can’t warm to Florence Pugh though, something about the way she performs puts me right off. Can’t say I’m looking forward to her popping up in the MCU again.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett how did you watch? Cinema, D+ or torrent??

I'm thinking I might go to the cinema on Tuesday to see it. Not sure if I'm brave enough yet to spend 2 hours in a room with strangers. I have had both jabs, I'm sure they make you wear masks and do the social distancing and all that though.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny You still have to wear a mask indoors and social distance until July 19th, but that is pending a review on the data on Monday.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ralphdibny

@JohnnyShoulder I'd hope my local Cineworld follows that guidance. In terms of work, shops and other public enclosed spaces, I have found the reality to be much more varied than the official guidance. Unfortunately this always makes me a bit more nervous to actually do things

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny Yeah I'm certainly not entirely comfortable attending any sort of social gatherings at the moment, apart from seeing my family.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Disney Plus as soon as it dropped. Thought I might as well get it over with and me and my friends just pooled the money together and we’re sharing the one account to watch it. £20 among the 5 of us wasn’t too bad. It’s probably better on the big screen but I’m not ready in the slightest to go to the cinema.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett fair enough, yeah it's ok to split it I guess. I definitely couldn't bring myself to pay £20 to watch one thing on the Tele as it will just be me who watches it.

I weren't even sure if cinemas would be open yet but I had a look and they seem to be. I might strategically do a really early showing and just hope it's not busy. It'll be "bargain" Tuesday though for me which I think is like £7, I wouldn't even pay £20 to see it in the cinema 😅

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny Yeah I was gonna go to the cinema a few weeks back when I has some time off work, but was immediately put off when I found out you have to wear a mask for the whole film.

ralphdibny

@JohnnyShoulder you can take it off to eat apparently so an XL popcorn/drink combo could be strategically tended to over a couple of hours...

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny Might as well go the whole hog and some nachos n cheese too.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett I watched it last night and… quite enjoyed it actually. Maybe all the negative buzz helped me go into it quite cool but it was great to watch a new Marvel movie.

Obviously not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier (or even Civil War) but I do like the espionage-side of the MCU and I thought it was a decent addition to that particular sub-sector.

Thought Pugh and Weisz were good and Harbour wasn’t quite as hilarious as was intended but still great. A nice send off fr Johansson.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

zupertramp

@colonelkilgore @nessisonett

I particularly loved how the Ghislaine Maxwell character got a redemption arc but Alexei was basically just the dad from a paper towel commercial. Good stuff.

Oh oh and let's have a villain that has a schtick that they never employ. And some Nolanesque info dumps. And let's make Harvey Weinstein the nemesis. Ugh, this movie. Wasn't awful but really could have been better.

Pugh was the best part of the movie for me in all seriousness.

Anyway, haven't been on in awhile because I've moved and also I've pretty much stopped getting notifications for topics I follow so if I left anyone hanging my apologies - trying to catch up now is too overwhelming.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic