Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,581 to 5,600 of 8,929

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah I was gonna go to the cinema this week as I'v got some time off work, but then I found out you have to wear a mask when watching the movie, so that put me off. Think my last film in the cinema was Avengers Infinity War, so has been a bit longer for me lol.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Oh I saw that film last year @JohnnyShoulder and quite liked it myself! I did have some minor quibbles with it though but unfortunately can't remember what they were now 😅. I seem to recall finding Mary and her character fine enough though.

Finally saw Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse yesterday.

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I wouldn't say it was the best spiderman film I've seen as I'd rate the first two Raimi films and Homecoming above it (Haven't seen Far From Home yet)... But I can't deny that I got a good number of chuckles outta this.

And I actually liked Miles too.

I've only seen his character before in the PS4 game and I really didn't think much of him there as he just felt like a watered down clone/rehash of Peter (Nerdy/Love of technology & the whole tragic death of a father figure backstory) so he really didn't feel unique to me or standout. Plus those stealth sections didn't help in me wanting me to be back as Pete...

Annnnyway back to the topic at hand. Yeah with him actually being the main focus in Spiderverse... I quite liked him.

Though I do think Peter B. Parker and Jake Johnson was the star of the film and pretty much stole whatever scene he was in for me.

I've liked Jake Johnson since I saw him in the show New Girl and even in his bit part in Jurassic World I found a hoot. I think he has great comedic timing & delivery and was perfectly cast as the schlubby Peter B.

Oh and I absolutely LOVED The Prowler's costume design. Seriously. That was fantastic.

Kingpin looking like a living block of concrete was an interesting choice and I liked Doc Ock well enough. It took a little while to get used to the animation & art style but I liked it by the end.

Can't say I liked any of the licensed music peppered throughout the film though. Easily the worst bit about it... Yeesh

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder My last trip to the cinema was for Sonic the Hedgehog and, at this rate, my next trip will be for its sequel next year. Might be a nice way to bookend the whole pandemic.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Glad you enjoyed Spider-Verse there! I think it's quite an infectious film, in that you can't help but get caught up and carried through by its relentless energy, even if its individual components don't resonate on their own. And yeah, that Prowler design is second to none!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy If I hadn't seen a bunch of studio Ghibli movies it might have been fine, but I have so it kinda pales in comparison to some of their better stuff.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

zupertramp

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy the Kingpin design was my biggest quibble from Into The Spiderverse. But it is what it is. Good film overall though.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

Well, given how our resident Master of Brevity has been posting paragraphs upon paragraphs and talkin' up a storm in another topic, I thought I'd counter this alarming change in behaviour and restore balance to the universe with a succinct rundown of some movies I've watched recently.

Rules of Engagement (2000)
Exactly the outcome you'd expect from a great cast reading a painfully average script.

Collateral (2004)
Two powerhouse performances overshadowed by an appalling soundtrack.

The Client (1994)
A somewhat by-the-numbers Grisham adaptation. Good, but could've used a ten minute trim.

@Arugula How'd I do?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula @RogerRoger Have you two body swapped or something?! 😆

RogerRoger

@Arugula ...is that it? I was expecting a longer review of my reviews. Well, I guess it's true what they say: the more things change, the more they stay the same!

@JohnnyShoulder I quantum leap into different accounts every day. Tomorrow I'm you!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Host. Super effective if not overly original horror flick. At about 55 mins probably could have done a bit more in the run time to flesh out some of the characters. But overall I found it entertaining and one of the scariest movies I've seen recently.

Ralizah

So, I caught up a bit with the Disney+ backlog and watched both Raya and the Last Dragon and Pixar's newest film, Luca. Raya has GREAT animation and worldbuilding, but the story is frankly pretty boring and hackneyed in terms of how it plays out. Luca was fantastic, though. I didn't think I'd care much for it when it started, since it initially feels a bit derivative of The Little Mermaid, but it turned into a beautiful little coming of age film about childhood friendship that was surprisingly affecting.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Good to know I can skip Raya, thanks. The trailer for Luca was utterly charming, and I've heard great things about it from others as well, so it's definitely going on my watchlist now.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Definitely an unexpected one. I knew Blonsky was going to be in She-Hulk but an appearance in Shang-Chi I didn’t see coming.

…..is that Wong fighting him?

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Looks an awful lot like Wong and apparently Benedict Wong did post on Instagram last year that he visited Sydney and had a picture taken with him and Simu Liu, so that would explain a lot

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

zupertramp

Just watched Cruella. Definitely not my choice but an entirely watchable movie in fact. And that's really not something I'd expected I'd say.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp Does it attempt to redeem the woman who boils puppies alive and turns them into coats?

zupertramp

@nessisonett it most definitely does. and as someone who really believes dogs could be knocked down a few pegs in the eyes of western society, I'm okay with that lol.

RogerRoger

I watched Phone Booth (2002) yesterday, on Disney+ of all things. The addition of the Fox library to that service has really made it a one-stop-shop for all kinds of streaming.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I watched Midnight in Paris. I’ve never been a big Woody Allen fan (for multiple reasons, but I really do just dislike his style) but I actually really quite enjoyed it. It’s sentimental while kinda swinging a massive sledgehammer at the very concept of nostalgia. I like that they don’t bother explaining how any of the fantastical elements actually work, it means it doesn’t get bogged down in the details. Owen Wilson also plays the Woody Allen-alike much better than Woody Allen ever did. Surprised myself that I enjoyed it.

I also watched The Producers cause it was on BBC One. I’ve seen it before but it really is great. Well, most of it is. The first 20 minutes aren’t great but everything from them starting to put Springtime for Hitler together to the end credits is comedic gold. It’s a very very fine line to get satire that spot-on but Mel Brooks always managed it without resorting to cheap caricatures. Not many movies from back then have truly aged well, especially comedies but that definitely has.

MightyDemon82

I went back to the 80's for my fri/sat and watched Mobile Suit Gundam 1-3 and also Fire and Ice. Movies i've always wanted to watch but never gotten round to.

Also recently watched Space Pirate Captain Harlock and The Nightingale.

MightyDemon82

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic