Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,561 to 5,580 of 8,935

nessisonett

@RR529 I vote for Attack of the Clones to have an exclamation point after it from now on, it sounds like a 50s sci-fi movie 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RR529

@nessisonett, I'll be honest, I didn't realize that it doesn't actually have the exclamation point. Dunno where I got that from, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

Holy mother of F, Amazon bought MGM. I just thought it was more rumours when I briefly saw it pop the other day. The mind boggles on what the next massive acquisition is gonna be.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Arugula Neither do Man City and Chelsea, seemingly!

I continued my Bond Binge™ with Live and Let Die tonight. It’s one of the most uneven Bond movies but just squeaks by. Interestingly, the well-documented sexism seems to take a back seat in this film, to be replaced by just plain old racism instead. For every great character like the main three villains, there’s the sheriff. The sheriff is the worst character in the history of cinema. Bar none. What an absolute stinker of a character. There are also too many dodgy jokes which fall a bit flat. But then there’s a pretty decent speedboat chase which kinda makes up for it sorta. It’s not a bad movie, just truly hard to enjoy.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Fast forward 25 years and there will be only 3 large corporations that own everything. Amazon, Microsoft, and Google.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution No, it will be Skynet.

Watched Mitchells vs The Machines on Netflix last night. Stupidly good fun. Same type of humour as the Lego movies seeing as the film was produced by Lord Millar (who also directed Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and Into the Spider-verse), which worked for me as I was laughing pretty much throughout the movie. Stand out were the two malfunctioned robots who got most of the best lines.

I love the animation style too and how they integrate the hand drawn stuff done by the characters into the actual film.

There were a couple of plot holes here and there and was a little predictable in places, but I didn't care as the movie was so much fun to watch. The heartfelt stuff was handled well and didn't feel saccharine. Also, ingenious use of the toy Furby.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

The Man With The Golden Gun. Almost good. Not quite there due to some stupendously bad writing for the Bond girl and MORE BLOODY SHERIFF. One of the best car stunts I’ve seen in a long time and it was ruined by a slide whistle sound making the stunt just seem silly. A shame. I’m going to watch The Spy Who Loved Me tonight as well so we’ll see how that goes.

TheFrenchiestFry

Man with the Golden Gun is so goddamn weird, especially as a follow up to Live and Let Die

Christopher Lee kills it in any role he's in and Scaramanga is no different, but seeing Bond get so physically violent with girls in a few scenes, especially Roger Moore's Bond was so offputting

Also, not the best John Barry Bond score

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, Roger Moore was just written wrong in that one. It felt like a Connery script instead.

nessisonett

Well... I didn’t love The Spy Who Loved Me. Jaws was decent. The song’s a bop. The main villain was dreadfully boring though. At least the main Bond girl was legitimately OK and mostly stood her ground. Other than the strange change in wardrobe between scenes and she ended the movie in what looked like a Fabletics sports bra except in 1977. The disco soundtrack was... odd too.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett That gosh-darn slide whistle was John Barry's fault. It's part of the score, and it always makes me shudder whenever I hear it. Why it hasn't been edited out in subsequent releases, or even replaced with a generic "Dah-nah, dahh!!" flare of the Bond theme, I'll never know.

Roger Moore really disliked the unnecessary violence in Golden Gun. The mid-bow kick in the karate school is a superb Bond moment, though.

Sorry to hear you didn't love Spy. I'll admit that, whilst I think it's a classic, it feels longer than its actual runtime, and I'm not sure why. On paper it zips along, getting up to all sorts of crazy chaos, but I always find myself checking my watch around the time Bond and Amasova arrive aboard the submarine for the finale. Stromberg is quite dull, I'll give you that. Good luck with Moonraker, since it's basically the exact same film (albeit with one of the greatest villains, in place of one of the lamest).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger @TheFrenchiestFry I feel like I should probably watch Austin Powers again after this binge. The Roger Moore ones really are odd.

RogerRoger

@TheFrenchiestFry I remember reading an anecdote from Roger Moore, where he went to visit Bill Conti during post-production on For Your Eyes Only. They were in a London apartment block with paper-thin walls, and Conti would say, "Here's what I'm thinking for this scene!" and start furiously pounding on a piano. Moore just shook his head and replied, "Your poor neighbours."

@nessisonett There's so much in the Austin Powers trilogy which isn't parody, but rather a perfectly accurate forecast of where the Bond movies would've ended up, had Moore's tenure continued into the 90s.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

TheFrenchiestFry

@RogerRoger FYEO's soundtrack is basically like if Conti took his Rocky compositions and upped the tempo significantly lol

Honestly it did produce one of the better gunbarrel tunes though

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Ralizah

The sequels suck, but I legitimately enjoy the first Austin Powers more than any of the Bond films. It's just a perfect little comedy, with pinpoint parodies (particularly loved the films' brutal parodies of Pussy Galore and Oddjob: I almost lost it when Random Task decapitates a statue with his shoe; my palpable hatred of Goldfinger probably helps), amazing comedic timing (that's partially ruined in some respects by home releases that add unnecessary footage to the film, like the bulldozer death scene; stick to the theatrical cut, if at all possible), and a surprisingly thoughtful script. It's one of those rare movies I basically never get tired of rewatching, like Ghostbusters or Kill Bill vol. 1.

edit:

Just watched Raya and the Last Dragon. 90% of that movie is really neat for a Disney film, with spectacular animation, great worldbuilding (I like the Xenoblade Chronicles-esque layout where different civilizations are situated at different points along a massive dragon-shaped river), and fun combat sequences. Unfortunately, the story devolves into typical feel-good Disney nonsense at the end and wastes a lot of the film's ultimate potential.

It was alright, but not as high-quality as films like Zootopia and Tangled.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

colonelkilgore

Raya and the last Dragon was decent. Maybe the most beautiful cgi-animation yet. I kinda judge all these kinds of movies against Moana as I just thought that was phenomenal. Raya ain't no Moana but was still well worth my 90 minutes.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

Mary and the Witch's Flower. Decent first effect from a studio comprised of some ex studio Ghibli people. Animation and soundtrack were great but the story and characters were lacking that extra Ghibli magic. Also I did not like the voice over work of Mary, found it a bit grating and her character was a bit annoying.

nessisonett

So Namor’s been cast in Black Panther 2. Very cool news, nice to see him finally adapted!

Ralizah

Hehehehehe.

I'm going to see the Demon Slayer movie in a real live theater tomorrow. First time I'll be in one in over a year!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic