Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,481 to 5,500 of 8,938

nessisonett

@zupertramp I feel like the best leader out of Black Panther’s supporting cast would actually be Lupita Nyong’o. Her character, Nakia, would be perfect alongside a council of sorts made up of his mother on the traditional and royal duties side, Shuri on the technical side and Okoye in charge of the military side. Either one of those three would clash with each other if they were in charge but Nakia would be able to balance them. Plus she’s skilled enough as a spy to take on the Black Panther mantle. I do love (the unfortunately named) Man-Ape but I don’t think they could have him take over Wakanda fully as he’s from a fringe tribe.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

I think I'm in a place where I never need to see or think about a superhero ever again.

@RR529 It's a shame only the film version of Gunbuster is officially available in the U.S., as the pacing of the six-episode OVA series is just perfect. I get people only wanting to go through official avenues for their anime, but this is a case where I feel like torrenting is justified.

At least someone FINALLY picked up distribution rights for Evangelion again last year. I feel like way too much of Gainax's stuff isn't officially available to the public. Can you even legally access anime like Kare Kano, Nadia, Wings of Honnêamise, etc. outside of old DVDs?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Is Evangelion not on US Netflix? The series and movies are on it in the UK.

Ralizah

@nessisonett It is. They picked up distribution rights for it last year.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Oh right of course 😂

zupertramp

@Ralizah Stick in the mud. 😝 Jk. Understandable honestly.

@nessisonett yeah, I suppose Nakia could work well. And oof, man-ape... smh. what a name.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

Approximately 5 minutes into You Only Live Twice and Bond’s first words are comparing the taste of Chinese girls to Peking Duck. I totally forgot about that one 😬

So there we go, You Only Live Twice mostly stands up. Great baddie, interesting setting. Quite a bit more genuinely racist stuff than Thunderball but Bond is a bit less rapey at least. Small mercies.

Edited on by nessisonett

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Yep, that's where I thought you'd land. A fair conclusion!

I still think the Little Nellie action sequence is one of the series' best, even with its dodgy rear-projection work and obvious model shots. Very inventive.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yeah, the wee helicopter is a bit silly but it makes for a great action sequence!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett It's a given that I'll always read somebody's thoughts on Bond but, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll be interested in your reaction to On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I used to hate it when I was younger but, with each subsequent viewing, I've really grown to appreciate it, to the point where I came away from a recent re-watch buzzing like I'd watched an all-time classic.

Diamonds Are Forever, meanwhile, has gone in the opposite direction over time; loved it when I was a kid, but find it tedious and difficult to watch nowadays. Funny how things change!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger They were actually my exact thoughts when I was younger too! Watched OHMSS a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot more whereas yeah, DAF is not a classic in the slightest. Should be fun to watch them again although it might be a few days before I have time.

ralphdibny

@Jackpaza0508 @JohnnyShoulder cloudy with a chance of meatballs is an early lord/miller film. I really liked it when I watched it but I haven't seen it since it came out on dvd. It's like a send up of disaster movies like Twister in a similar vein to how monsters Vs aliens was a send up of old horror icon movies.

I was going to say that they didn't actually direct Spider Verse but I looked it up to check and it seems like they didn't direct this new Mitchell's Vs the machines either. They have a producer credit but I know the lines between different roles are blurred when it comes to creative input into a project anyway. Either that or Sony have got some clever marketers. It's a bit like the 30+ "Judd apatow films" that came out in the 2000s and the 2010s of which he only directed about 4!

@zupertramp didn't Killmonger suffer an irreversible fate in Black Panther? I could be wrong, I haven't watched it since the cinema.

I thought it was one of those films that killed all the villains? I particularly loved Andy serkis' Klaue so I was quite gutted about that. I do wonder if it will just be a film about the supporting cast, any one of them could take up the mantle but who knows? I wouldn't be upset if it was Shuri, she was easily one of my favourite characters in the film. I guess it makes sense if she was next in line to the throne anyway.

See ya!

zupertramp

My view is comics are like soap operas - no one is ever irreversibly dead. Kilmonger collapses at the end, presumably dead but who's to say he wasn't rushed to some high-tech life-saving medical facility in the immediate aftermath. It really doesn't seem that way but you just gotta film a scene showing it happened and BAM it's canon. Plus if they keep killing villains it's gonna be hard to continue making superhero films after a while.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

M0rriss

@zupertramp Considering how actively they will be introducing the multiverse, I think it will not be difficult to take the same characters from other worlds.

M0rriss

ralphdibny

@zupertramp it's funny you mention soap operas because that is my exact opinion, which is why I love the MCU. It's like EastEnders (British soap) with superheroes! I just love extended canons and "alternate" histories such as that depicted in the MCU, EastEnders, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek etc.

We've had a few return from the dead scenarios in EastEnders but I think normally the rule is that if we see the body and it is damaged beyond repair then the death is final. Could be some exceptions to that though. Most of the undying characters in the show eventually met their final end anyway.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Yep, if it’s offscreen then it doesn’t count. Kathy literally came back from the dead almost 20 years after she ‘died’. Whereas Heather is 100% dead.

zupertramp

@M0rriss that's very true.

And I suppose this gives creators the option of going with different actors (if need be) without it being as immersion breaking.

@ralphdibny yeah I can get down with a good melodramatic soap any day. probably why Desperate Housewives is one of my all time favorite shows. It's just a slickly-produced, incredibly well-written and well-cast soap opera.

M0rriss

@zupertramp The main thing is not to overdo it and everything is explained. It will be interesting to watch Spider-Man 3 if you are guided by rumors.

M0rriss

zupertramp

@M0rriss also true. Things get a little silly when you have dozens of versions of the same character. Case in point - Harrison Wells from The Flash TV series.

Edited on by zupertramp

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic