Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,441 to 2,460 of 8,937

HallowMoonshadow

Surprised you didn't mention that one scene @RogerRoger The "show me" one I didn't think much of the reboot/remake either but that scene was pretty shocking and well done.

I've only seen Joel Kinnaman in one other film and that was the abomination that was Suicide Squad... He was probably the only decent(ish) actor in that 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

kyleforrester87

I can hardly remember the new Robocop movie, it left basically no impression on me. I just remember it being really tame in comparison.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy See, problem is, that scene just reminded me of the beautiful animatronic head and torso they used in RoboCop 2, which was a stunning practical effect. When I saw that sequence in the new film, it took me out of the immersion because I just went "ooh, look what CGI can accomplish nowadays" so I guess I've been a little de-sensitised by watching them all in a row.

But yeah, it was quite a striking visual, I'll give 'em that.

And you're absolutely right, Suicide Squad is a total mess. I do like the component parts; all of the cast did okay, and their versions of the characters had merit, but then it was just two hours of a hyperactive kid mashing his toys into one another, loudly screaming "Pew! Pow! Boom!" and it just didn't work. At all.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

Tasuki wrote:

In T2 the T-800 states that it's living tissue over metal endoskeleton when John Connor asked him if he's alive but a machine but on the inside.

I totally forgotten about that.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Tasuki

@LN78 Right that's another reason why the T-800s age (at least their outside) if it wasn't living tissue they wouldn't be able to travel through time.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

KALofKRYPTON

Recent films I've seen... hmmm...

Brightburn!
Really enjoyed that. Little bit gruesome and a nicely put together retread of a 'Superman' origin story.
By far one of the best things about it and struck me several times during the film, Unlike a fair amount of modern superhero (and other) films of recent years; it really doesn't bog itself down with exposition - there were a few points where I'm pretty certain that some productions just wouldn't be able to help themselves from inserting a little unnecessary hand-holding. It made the film quite refreshing despite it's reliance on many a trope.

I watched live action Aladdin. Which was mostly not very good. Will Smith, while a terrible singer - really made the film. Guy Richie (and the editor) on the other hand really seem to have little sense of pace or how to assemble a large scale set-piece. The cinematography in general just felt like a bad fit.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 Given the publication of the piece yesterday - it would seem that it's a certainty at this point. He's a cretin. He obviously has very little idea about what makes Star Wars fun and interesting.

Episode IX is basically a write off for me - even if the more outlandish rumours are false, I can't see JJ salvaging things. In addition to that - the revelation/rumours of the Lucas 20% cut on OT/PT elements very much explains why the majority of iconography, characters, ships etc from 1-6 are either entirely missing or simply being excised from Star Wars.

We all knew it, but Star Wars is now just a cash cow for the slaughter.

More interesting is that I really think that the new track will be to plumb the expanded universe stuff that Lucas didn't create but fans might be familiar with - such as Mara Jade.

EDIT: I'd be surprised is the Obi-Wan thing actually happens.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 I reckon there's something contractual in place there already. So more money wasted if they bump him off.
If the actual plan was always to transition the series away from Lucas's shared IP - then Kennedy, JJ and Johnson are succeeding - while still actually making money (just not as much as they might want).

I think Thrawn and Mara Jade (Emily Blunt I think) will be saved for other projects. They're both characters who EU readers and younger fans of the animated stuff will register. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a riff on Heir to the Empire show up at some point.

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 True on the contracts.

Matt Smith as Thrawn?!?!? Ew. Fun Doctor, crap in everything else. I'd probably go for Ian Glen for Thrawn.

Really? They'd make a really good bit of casting for Fantastic Four!

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 He's done a few bits and bobs - only some of which I've seen, but he's really not great in any of it.

Yeah, Glen is BW in the upcoming second series of Titans.

RogerRoger

@LN78 @KALofKRYPTON Thrawn can't show up in Episode IX. It would take far, far, FAR too much exposition to explain the history and ending of Star Wars: Rebels and then you'd have to also include Ezra Bridger, Ahsoka Tano and Sabine Wren, at which point you've overstuffed your movie with callbacks (particularly with Palpatine confirmed).

Plus nobody could ever top Lars Mikkelsen's voice for Thrawn so I'm hoping that, when he returns, it's in animated form and he's still got the same voice. That being said, there was that artwork for this year's Star Wars Celebration convention that based a "realistic" image of Thrawn on Pierce Brosnan, leading to speculation that he's been cast in an upcoming project. So for now, Thrawn is all over the map.

Matt Smith is almost guaranteed to be Palpatine, or some random, left-field nobody like Snoke.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger That sounds like a good excuse for some tie-in books/comics/rides/games/re-released dvd/Disney+ subs/ lunchboxes/Pez dispensers to me!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON

Hey, I'd love it, as would about a hundred thousand other super-nerds!

We all need a Thrawn PEZ Dispenser in our lives.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON
Ahh, PEZ dispensers... what marketing genius that was. Those have surely endured the test of time — 70 years of making the same basic product. Clever indeed.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution I've never even used one. I only knew what it was after many years of wondering what Vern was on about in Stand By Me - when a school friend arrived back from summer holidays with some.

I guess you can get it here now, but it really wasn't a UK thing.

Th3solution

@LN78 Interesting rumor, even if untrue. I’d never heard that before.

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, a quick wiki search reveals that the parent company is actually Austrian. Started as the candy bricks which were originally peppermint flavored, thus the name “PEZ” is an acronym derived from the German word for peppermint.
It became popular in the U.S. immediately following WWII, when the character / toy heads were initiated. (At first the dispenser was just a solid piece without the head, I guess). Over the years, just about every popular movie franchise has had representation, and interestingly there was even a limited edition released in 2011 of a Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge set. Must have been an attempt to get you all involved in the madness.

To bring it back around and keep things in track for this thread, a PEZ animated movie was announced as being in the works in 2015. Mercifully, that has not seen the light of day, it would seem.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

We had a teacher at school who we nicknamed Pez, because of the way he talked. His whole head would move in tandem with his mouth.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

Sadly he didn't regurgitate sweets, that would have been quite something

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

KALofKRYPTON

@Gremio108 Like a Canadian?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic