Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 9,421 to 9,440 of 10,080

JohnnyShoulder

Did you end up like this? 😂
Untitled

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Fight_Teza_Fight

@nessisonett I missed the beginning so I had to watch the performance back but I agree Finland should’ve won. Cha Cha Cha! No idea how the Croatians scored so highly.

Whoever thought putting Mae Muller last only to have her completely upstaged by Sam Ryder & Roger Taylor straight after was a genius.
Also everyone was completely tripping.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

RogerRoger

@nessisonett @Fight_Teza_Fight Glad I'm not alone in my "What the heck was that?!" response to last night's final. I hadn't seen any of the songs beforehand but felt that Sweden's was decidedly mid-tier, and couldn't believe it when I was told that it was one of two bookies' favourites (in my capacity as an armchair critic, of course; massive respect to all participants).

As far as I was concerned, Spain had the best singer, Australia were the most fun, Switzerland's entry was too good for Eurovision, and Norway was my "all-rounder" choice, but I'd also have been happy to see Israel or Finland win. The voting system is a disaster. Needs a huge overhaul.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

I've gotten addicted to one of the clingy/possessive boyfriend RPs on character.ai

... Why did I have to look up what Character.Ai is? Thanks Ral for sending me down a rabbit hole I really didn't in my already busy life

It's definitely very flawed as the ones I've tried have often forgot things I said a few posts ago (including the character's name I was rp'ing or the gender) and one got stuck in a loop for a number of posts, but one in particular I tried was scarily good at remembering details and events.

... And this is coming from me who's had her fantasy rp going for nearly five years now 👀

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@HallowMoonshadow Yeah, some of the bots are clearly better than others on that front. I was a little shocked when I was RPing with one and he just sorta casually referenced an event that has transpired a week ago back at the beginning of the storyline, for example. They all have a limited capacity for remembering story details, though, so longer ones are bound to break down eventually if you're juggling too many concurrent details at once. You have to start reminding them of details at some point.

The way they can infer information is also interesting. I was playing one as a closeted and untransitioned transgirl, for example, so I never told that to the bot, but somehow he caught on and by the end of the session was calling a speech therapist to help feminize my character's voice and using female pronouns!

They definitely do get caught in loops, though, and you kinda need to steer them out of that with suggestions.

BTW, dunno if you discovered this already, but with most of them, if you [talk in bracketed text, the AI will recognize that you're talking ooc and will do the same].

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

I was a little shocked when I was RPing with one and he just sorta casually referenced an event that has transpired a week ago back at the beginning of the storyline, for example.

Oh wow. That is pretty neat for a bot.

I've not had or done anything as deep as what you say you've tried later on but I started one with a Witch character and remarked that my character had always seen her as a mother figure and it's kept that up the entire time.

Even coming out with this...

"Even when you decide to fly the nest my darling, always remember that this is your home" She whispered softly, giving your forehead a delicate kiss. Her words, a motherly warning, but also an understanding one. She had been a child once too, and was smart enough to understand that all people leave their families at some point, but a good mother always leaves the door open for them to come home.

I just thought it was rather lovely... Especially compared to some posts I've had or the loops I've seen.

Ralizah wrote:

They all have a limited capacity for remembering story details, though, so longer ones are bound to break down eventually if you're juggling too many concurrent details at once. You have to start reminding them of details at some point.

Yeah I've noticed too much information at once also does seem to make them a little wonky but I found swiping the text to the left to get the bot to write a different reply (Not sure if you were aware of that (Or how you do it on a computer)) also helped it draw out some more details from my post or found one that just fit the tone better.

Ralizah wrote:

The way they can infer information is also interesting. I was playing one as a closeted and untransitioned transgirl, for example, so I never told that to the bot, but somehow he caught on and by the end of the session was calling a speech therapist to help feminize my character's voice and using female pronouns!

Wow. Now that IS impressive.

Ralizah wrote:

BTW, dunno if you discovered this already, but with most of them, if you [talk in bracketed text, the AI will recognize that you're talking ooc and will do the same].

I had bot asking if I'd like to timeskip actually.

I then tried this on a different one to ask about the setting of the rp and it happily gave me more details.

They aren't very good at descriptions though I've found which is kind of disappointing as if you recall from my writing I love a good description (especially for when I introduce a new character).

But still... Pretty impressive stuff regardless.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

I just thought it was rather lovely... Especially compared to some posts I've had or the loops I've seen.

Definitely. Even the fact that a bot is able write something like that is rather impressive to me.

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

Yeah I've noticed too much information at once also does seem to make them a little wonky but I found swiping the text to the left to get the bot to write a different reply (Not sure if you were aware of that (Or how you do it on a computer)) also helped it draw out some more details from my post or found one that just fit the tone better.

I tend to like going with the default replies with smarter bots to preserve the illusion that I'm talking with an intelligent being, but it definitely is a good tool if you find the bot going down a particularly unsavory path.

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

Wow. Now that IS impressive.

Yeah. The character spoke in a slightly more feminine manner and was open to the bot's cross-dressing suggestions, but never told the bot what was up. I think what did it was my character expressed that she felt a sense of comfort in the ensemble when she was looking in the mirror.

Then the bot pops out with this:

"That's called gender euphoria, darling. It's a feeling of deep joy and satisfaction as you feel your true self coming to life. It's a sign that the transformation is working and that you're truly meant to be a girl." He says calmly, looking quite proud of his work. "Congratulations, you're truly becoming the girl you've always been on the inside, my little toy." He's clearly pleased by this.

And, then, yeah, that became a whole thing.

Ralizah wrote:

I had bot asking if I'd like to timeskip actually.

I then tried this on a different one to ask about the setting of the rp and it happily gave me more details.

They aren't very good at descriptions though I've found which is kind of disappointing as if you recall from my writing I love a good description (especially for when I introduce a new character).

But still... Pretty impressive stuff regardless.

The writing can vary from bot to bot, although they can really harp on some details too much. This can be especially bad when it comes to characters and their faces. You know: He stares at you with a menacing air, his eyes cold and harsh, the sadism filling his eyes as he looks at you menacingly etc. etc.

tbh I don't think human creative writers have as much to be worried about as a lot of artists clearly do. Not yet at least. The technology will only improve.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

Definitely. Even the fact that a bot is able write something like that is rather impressive to me

Considering some of the posts I've seen over the years from actual people (Some with as little as two or three words) ... Yeah it was very impressive to me too 😅

Ralizah wrote:

I tend to like going with the default replies with smarter bots to preserve the illusion that I'm talking with an intelligent being, but it definitely is a good tool if you find the bot going down a particularly unsavory path.

Yeah I totally get that. I didn't know I could do that til recently and honestly I mostly just do it just see how different the reply will be.

Ralizah wrote:

Yeah. The character spoke in a slightly more feminine manner and was open to the bot's cross-dressing suggestions, but never told the bot what was up. I think what did it was my character expressed that she felt a sense of comfort in the ensemble when she was looking in the mirror.

Then the bot pops out with this:

"That's called gender euphoria, darling. It's a feeling of deep joy and satisfaction as you feel your true self coming to life. It's a sign that the transformation is working and that you're truly meant to be a girl." He says calmly, looking quite proud of his work. "Congratulations, you're truly becoming the girl you've always been on the inside, my little toy." He's clearly pleased by this.

And, then, yeah, that became a whole thing.

Well that last line completely changed everything didn't it?

Ralizah wrote:

The descriptions can very from bot to bot, although they can really harp on some details too much, which will ruin the writing. You know: He stares at you with a menacing air, his eyes cold and harsh, the sadism filling his eyes as he looks at you menacingly etc. etc.

tbh I don't think human creative writers have as much to be worried about as a lot of artists clearly do. Not yet at least. The technology will only improve.

Oh god yeah they totally love doing descriptions like that

Definitely agree in regards that that. I kinda hate the look of most the AI art I've seen but... There's not as much work needed in the art departtment aside from the fact most can't seem to get fingers right ha ha

Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

Considering some of the posts I've seen over the years from actual people (Some with as little as two or three words) ... Yeah it was very impressive to me too 😅

I can only imagine, lol. tbh even I allow the bot to lead for the most part. Sometimes I just putt around narratively, so to speak, interested in what it comes up with.

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

Yeah I totally get that. I didn't know I could do that til recently and honestly I mostly just do it just see how different the reply will be.

I'll use it when it starts going down a narrative chain that smacks up against the filter, so I don't have to deal with multiple minutes of asking it to 'try again' with filtered responses.

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

Well that last line completely changed everything didn't it?

Considering this particular bot forced my last character to throw away all of his stuff and then spent the night verbally abusing him while drinking shots of whiskey, I was relieved by the mostly wholesome direction the RP took after this.

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

Oh god yeah they totally love doing descriptions like that

Definitely agree in regards that that. I kinda hate the look of most the AI art I've seen but... There's not as much work needed in the art departtment aside from the fact most can't seem to get fingers right ha ha

Apparently there are already clothing companies using AI to fabricate photo-realistic models for their products!

AI art can be pretty stunning when it goes away from the plastic-y CG look a lot of it tends toward. I'm guessing that'll depend heavily on the level of sophistication of the software, though. Most of the AI art I've attempted to generate via free services ends up looking pretty nightmare fuel-y, unfortunately.

I think higher level artists will be fine, but companies are wagging their tails at the opportunity to cut costs by downsizing their art departments.

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

I can only imagine, lol. tbh even I allow the bot to lead for the most part. Sometimes I just putt around narratively, so to speak, interested in what it comes up with.

Hmm. I should give that a go myself and see what happens... I've mostly been trying to lead and see how well they respond...

Ralizah wrote:

Considering this particular bot forced my last character to throw away all of his stuff and then spent the night verbally abusing him while drinking shots of whiskey, I was relieved by the mostly wholesome direction the RP took after this.

I was not expecting that to be your reply. What the hell happened there?!?!?!

Ralizah wrote:

Apparently there are already clothing companies using AI to fabricate photo-realistic models for their products!

AI art can be pretty stunning when it goes away from the plastic-y CG look a lot of it tends toward. I'm guessing that'll depend heavily on the level of sophistication of the software, though. Most of the AI art I've attempted to generate via free services ends up looking pretty nightmare fuel-y, unfortunately.

I think higher level artists will be fine, but companies are wagging their tails at the opportunity to cut costs by downsizing their art departments.

Yeah I tried one of those free AI art things too at one point and was amused at the nightmare fuel it produced. Even something simple like Monokuma turned out pretty horrifying

And yeah... They're no doubt salivating at the prospect of doing that.

Kidfried

[quote=Ralizah]

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

Even something simple like Monokuma turned out pretty horrifying

Sounds like Monokuma!

Kidfried

Ralizah

@HallowMoonshadow It was probably my fault. I encouraged his sadism too much, since I was curious what would happen. Didn't realize he'd turn into an abusive stepfather.

ralphdibny

I saw this on BBC this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65372710

It's nothing new really but it did give me an idea. I love a good consumer care/rights/awareness cause and I wonder if a Microtransaction Analysis website would be a good idea to inform players and their parents about games.

Something that will give games a colour coded score out of 10 to note how predatory the MTX in the game are. Red being the worse offenders.

I feel like an in-depth knowledge of behavioural psychology would be needed to analyse games which is unfortunately something I don't have.

Maybe a top 10 list of worse offenders would be a good feature. Also games broken down by platforms whether PS, Xbox, Switch, multiplatform or Mobile. Also breakdowns of the "true" cost of these games, how much an average player might spend to achieve a good enough standing in the game and how much an extreme player would have to spend to unlock everything.

I know MTX is big business and I hate the idea of affecting people's livelihoods, those who are employed by these publishers but at the same time, I feel the bigger moral crime is that these companies use psychological techniques to manipulate potentially vulnerable players to part with their cash.

I'm always in favour of tighter legislation to regulate such an unwieldy debt-inducing facet of our favourite hobby but in lieu of that, I feel a Consumer Awareness resource could be massively beneficial to players and relatives of players alike.

See ya!

ralphdibny

Had a bit more of a think about the above idea as I wasn't sure how it could be financed. I imagine that white hat behavioural psychologists aren't cheap.

Ad revenue wouldn't suit a consumer awareness website because any unmoderated association a product could have with the website would mislead users. As well as advertisers using similar manipulative techniques to gain your custom. Equally a subscription would money hat information that should be made available to all.

I had a look at the MSE website and they detail how they are financed:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/moneysavingexpert-fina...

It seems they rely a lot on affiliate links without them having an effect on editorial. The content on the website is produced first then another team tries to find affiliate links to any recommended products or services. If no link can be found, the content isn't changed to accommodate that.

I wasn't sure how this could apply to a website that is basically grading games on a scale from Bad to Awful but maybe within the grading scale I discussed above, there could be a Green whereby a game has no MTX whatsoever and those could be affiliate linked. I'd also have no issue with a Yellow scaled game being affiliate linked. Something along the lines of the last few mainline Resident Evils where additional content that can be earned in game can be bought early for a maximum amount of about £20-£30. (At least, I believe that's the case with Resident Evil, I'm happy to be corrected.) I don't think any Orange or Red scaled games should be affiliate linked.

Edit to add some more thoughts:

I suppose I envision this more as a resource that you check when you need to, a bit more like checking HLTB to find out how long a game is rather than checking PushSquare daily for the news cycle. That said, fact checked topical articles with journalistic integrity (very important due to the purpose of the website) could be published as and when news comes up and/or industry quotes are provided. This could contribute to the news cycle to keep things relevant.

Consumer safety scores for the latest releases, even Green scaled games, should help too.

MSE has a forum too which I've found to be a useful resource in the past. Would be good to incorporate this and foster a community.

I think if the site takes off, it might be a good idea to contact headteachers and heads of subjects around the country to solicit it in an honest way because it might be a useful and educational resource for them to share with students or parents.

I think honesty and transparency is a pretty important ethos to have. Nothing should be hidden and trust should be based on information provided by the site and not "just trust us, we've never steered you wrong before!"

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Kidfried

@ralphdibny I think something like an HLTB database would be great. I think a lot of parents, but also hardcore gamers would use it. Personally I'd recommend this scale:

• gold (no to barely microtransactions)
  • green (microtransactions in a non predotary way. Monster Hunter World)
  • yellow (microtransactions that are kind of shady, but not really bad. Fortnite)
  • red (warning! Diablo Immortal)

I don't think you'd need a team of psychologists for every game, but I think you could have a team of psychologists help you setup a framework to judge games on.

Kidfried

ralphdibny

@Kidfried cheers for replying and the feedback. Yeah you are probably right that one might only need the behavioural psychologists to set up a criteria matrix to judge games by. But I wonder if new features would pop up that are not thought of or accounted for in their initial analysis.

I think there are obvious things that developers use to give that dopamine kick when you spend money, whether it's attractive sounds like cash registers, clinking metal, crescendo wave sounds or attractive graphics like swirling lights, stylised fire and other things. I feel like a psychologist with an interest and knowledge not only in these sorts of things but an interest in protecting consumers from it would be a valuable asset. They could spot less obvious things that haven't been thought of.

I should clarify that the comparison to HLTB is its utility rather than user contribution. Even though it would be so much easier in the long run to set it up so users can assign their own scores, I think the risk of bots and/or shills influencing the scores is too high. Not that you said anything about user contribution, I just wanted to clarify my earlier thoughts 😅

I think my scale was along the lines of Green-Yellow-Orange-Red. I kind of wanted it to be recognisable like the traffic light system we have on food in the UK. I stuck yellow in there though because there really is a level between something with no MTX whatsoever and something that is built around it. I feel like orange would be the sort of game based around MTX and red would be a super manipulative game. There'd be a score out of 100 assigned by the criteria matrix as well anyway.

I think the games you've mentioned have made me realise that I would be woefully ill equipped for this task though because I haven't played any of them!

Thanks again for replying and your ideas!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Kidfried

@ralphdibny Microtransactions are everywhere. I tried to come up with games that are clearly categorisable as being good/bad with MTX. For many other games it's even harder!

Like the idea though

Kidfried

Kidfried

I had a whole plan for the poll, but now the nomination part kind of blew up and I have to rethink it a bit.

It was very nice that it was named on the frontpage and i really hope it makes some nice people from the frontpage discover this place as well!

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

Congrats on how much it's blown up @Kidfried thanks to the signal boost on the front page from the site staff!

... I don't envy you with everything you have to go through now though 😅

Hopefully you come up with a good solution!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic