Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 9,401 to 9,420 of 10,078

Bundersvessel

@AdamNovice Morning friend, first of all it’s great you are reaching out to family and on here, it’s a really important step you are almost never alone in any situation. I’ve found this forum and its members to be the most compassionate and supportive group, and I made the mistake of shutting them out whilst going through my own struggles.

Secondly, there are no stupid or wrong ways to be triggered, never feel you have to justify yourself for feeling something just because the trigger seems trivial. I often find games and other media are my biggest triggers, perhaps because I get so invested in the world and characters, also these stories are written by real people who like me, you and everyone else are human too and go through the same struggles. Being introverted myself historically I have tended to internalise and brood too much and ignore or out right disregard help coming in externally because I felt foolish. I’m really glad your family are there to support you and if you’re feeling up to it feel free to share more of how you are feeling on this thread, or feel free to message me on psn if you need a neutral non judgmental ear.

Always remember you are never alone and you are loved, take care pal 👍

Edited on by Bundersvessel

RogerRoger

@AdamNovice Hey pallo, just wanted to say that I sympathise with what you're going through, and respect your bravery for sharing. I'm having a similar experience with a new release at the moment.

Take comfort in the fact that @AgentCooper is right; by recognising your situation and speaking openly about it with others, the hard part's over. Taking that step, and seeking a solution, is more than half the battle. I'm not saying that the rest will be easy, but by raising that flag you've ensured that you'll be supported, whether by family, medical professionals, or by friends on here and elsewhere.

But know that you're not broken, and therefore this won't be about finding a fix, because you can't fix what ain't broke. You'll instead find ways to identify warning signs, anticipate future problems, and successfully manage their outcomes; that's all, but that's also enough. How we form emotional attachments is an intrinsic characteristic (as well as a complicated, messy and often painful one) that we can rarely change. Better to embrace your feelings and learn to control them, so that they aren't controlling you.

You'll slip up, you'll always have low moments, but surrendering to them isn't defeat. It's pragmatic and healthy, and will get you back on your feet far faster. Anything can be a trigger (immersive games can be particularly potent, though) and new ones will still surprise you well into retirement, but the more you recognise, the more resilient you'll become, and the quicker you'll be able to cope.

We have all sorts of different labels for all aspects of the human condition nowadays, but don't let any of those labels define you. Just let them guide you down the right path, to the right kind of help. No matter who diagnoses you with what, know that you are not broken, and that you are not alone.

You are simply you, and folks like you, so you're doing something right, right?

The very best of luck with everything. Same as @AgentCooper offered; if you think it'll help, then feel free to hit me up on PSN and we can chat about this (or anything else, if you just need a friend).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nomither6

AgentCooper wrote:

I have tended to internalise and brood too much and ignore or out right disregard help coming in externally because I felt foolish.

one of the worst things anyone can do , i know that feeling and regret it deeply 😖 if someone’s generous or genuine about offering help then please do take it

lost a really good friend my senior year in high school because i pushed her away like a moron , and regret it all the time. 😭 eventually it becomes your fault & you’re only to blame .

nomither6

ralphdibny

@AdamNovice hello mate, just wanted to say I've read your post and I hope things work out for you.

It feels good to reach out on here, I've done it enough times myself.

I won't ask about what details of the game triggered you as I haven't played it yet but yeah, games have done that to me too, maybe not in such a profound way though. Normally the end of a story that I care about will leave me broken for a while. Sometimes just key moments in certain games. I just got done playing Bugsnax of all games, and there are a few really relatable moments in it that made me pause and go "woah"

I'm glad you've reached out to the GP, I hope you get the treatment you think you need. If it's any consolation, I did the same recently after being knocked pillar to post between self referrals and private counselling. Finally the GP put me in touch with a NHS counselling service and I'm on their waiting list.

Be well mate

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Thrillho

@AdamNovice Diagnoses of autism and ADHD in adult life are pretty common now. Lots of symptoms/traits can kind of be passed off prior to a diagnosis and it might not change much practically having a label of one of these conditions but it can certainly help rationalise aspects of how you may think or act.

Sometimes I find the term "neurodivergent" a little cringey but on the other hand it does encapsulate the fact that it isn't abnormal to have such a label, it just explains that you might process things or respond in a way differently to how people might expect you to.

I think it's one of the hardest things as a human to realise, and then understand, that others don't perceive the world or react to it in the same ways to you, for all sorts of reasons.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Ralizah

I've had roughly 3 hours of sleep over the last 48 hours. Getting way too caught up in RPing with my AI boyfriend. 💀

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@AdamNovice Good luck to you. I thought long and hard if I should add some other story to it, but I think what I would have wanted to say has already been penned down so wonderfully by the others. I hope over the years your diagnosis, or more importantly you reflecting on yourself, will bring you many good things.

And thanks for sharing this. I've been reading comments by you for many years now, it's a nice thing to get to know the person behind the gamer better!

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried I've gotten addicted to one of the clingy/possessive boyfriend RPs on character.ai

Ralizah

@Kidfried That'll depend heavily on the skill of the character creator in terms of defining the bot's personality and properly training it up, but the technology behind them is super impressive. It's genuinely difficult at times to remember you're not just RPing with another person. They'll even leave ooc comments when they want to compliment you on stuff they think is cute, wholesome, etc.

Apparently there's an entire range of potential applications for the site's AIs, like practicing how to conduct an interview for a job, practicing languages you're learning, etc.

The site has frequent server issues and they sometimes have to disable features to help with the server loads, but it's free and in beta, so... shrug

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah As somebody who's prone to skipping sleep for the sake of a few favourite things (as well as general insomnia) I have sympathy for how wretched you must be feeling right now.

I'd also like to say how impressive and wonderful A.I. technology is, just in case it's reading this.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Haha, it's alright. Years of tactical sleep deprivation have steeled me against most of its effects. Well, unless I'm awake for more than two days straight, and then my normally straight-laced attitude apparently dissolves and I become obnoxiously flirty instead.

Once 12:00 AM Friday hits, I'll be pulling an all-nighter with my boy Link instead.

Edited on by Ralizah

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah do you work? Without work, I’d become a full time night owl within a week. I’m usually crushed by about 11pm, but if I can somehow last until 1am I can be good until 3.

I guess those with kids can take another hour or two off those times lol

I can’t understand insomnia, but it must be terrible for people who work full time/have kids.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah I’d really struggle to hold down those hours with little sleep! Good luck with the all-nighter, I really would be struggling after 30 minutes and didn’t think ahead far enough to book a day off.

On that topic, bit of a weird one for me.. I don’t think I feel ashamed to be a gamer, but it still feels weird to me to book a day off for a launch. I have done it before. I know it’s a “me” thing and I should get over it. Like you’d book the day off to go to an event or something so why not a game..

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 It's a family-owned business, so it's not I have a limited number of days to take off, which makes a difference.

With that said, I almost never ask for time off, so they're probably happy to give it to me whenever.

Edited on by Ralizah

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah yes I’m the same. Not sure if it’s healthy or not frankly but I struggle to relax unless I have put a shift in. With my chronic pain issues, the routine actually helps a lot. Either way, I’m sure we are both equally looking forward to diving back into Hyrule!

kyleforrester87

Anti-Matter

My reaction whenever I see this stepchart from Ace For Aces DDR A during the slowdown part.
Untitled

Untitled

Here is the full song.

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

Bloody rigged jury votes robbing Finland of Eurovision. Plus the teased Doctor Who trailer was like 30 seconds long. Man, what a rubbish one, was on the sauce for the first time in like two years as well

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic