Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 9,341 to 9,360 of 10,100

ralphdibny

@Ralizah I hope you are well. I get that feeling too, like why talk about my problems because worse things are happening to nicer people. But to be honest, I think a lot of people on these forums understand that concept and are up for listening to (reading) all manner of problems, whether they are quaint, life shattering or somewhere in between.

Took me a while to kind of like break that pre(mis?)conception about talking about myself so publicly, even if I'm more or less anonymous on here. Even then, I go through bouts of candidness before withdrawing again, normally only coming back once it all gets too much to handle alone.

Well you're not alone. You have a built in support network here if you choose to use it, whether it's to share properly or just to shoot the sh** about random stuff to take your mind off things.

Be well Ral!

See ya!

Ralizah

@ralphdibny I appreciate the genuine concern (as opposed to, you know, "thoughts and prayers").

The truth is I have an adequate support network IRL, so I'm definitely not just bottling up all of my emotions.

To remove the air of mystery from all this: last December, after a protracted and painful fight for survival in the hospital, my mother died. Or, rather, the day after Christmas, we had to make the decision to take her off life support. What put her in the situation in the first place was a freak accident that occurred during a totally normal procedure she's had done dozens of times before.

Anyway, I'll extend the offer back: if you ever need to talk about things, for any reason, you'll always find a sympathetic ear with me, and likely with many of the people here.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Looks like you’ve had a lot on your plate too. In my case, I’ve come to the conclusion that this place is about as good as it gets in terms of an escape from what’s going on elsewhere, whether that’s grief or similar. Seeing that this place always holds together is a good reminder that life does go on.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Life does go on. The longer we live, the more we suffer. That's true of even the most privileged people in the world. So you have to find spaces you enjoy to even out the balance.

LiamCroft

@nessisonett Happy to hear you're doing better now and feel good enough to return to the site!

PSN ID: Liam_Croft

nessisonett

Cheers all, been a rough few months but this place is great as always.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@Ralizah this feels like a massive understatement but damn that sucks. Really sorry to hear it.

I'm glad you got a good enough support network in real life too and youre not bottling things up.

I lost my grandad in January. I was actually going to write about it here after it happened because it was so intense and being there when someone died isn't something I had experienced before. But I waited it out because I actually thought it might be innapropriate to write here because it could be a bit triggering. It's weird ya know, I literally had no idea what to expect because it's such a taboo subject that nobody talks about. But it ended up being one of the most profound experiences of my life.

See ya!

Anti-Matter

Untitled

This is Math worksheet I made for my extra curricular Math Club last semester.
Feel free to print and answer the given question.
If you cannot answer these questions, you need to go back to grade 3.

Anti-Matter

MatthewJP

Welcome back yet again to the returning people. Hopefully the time away has helped. A little self reflection is always good to become a better person and stop the antagonising comments meant to bait reactions and feign hurt, and realise not everyone who buys 'the wizard game' is a foe

PSN: mpquikster

Bundersvessel

@Ralizah Really sorry to hear about your mother passing, losing a parent is tough but I’m glad you’ve managed to position yourself mentally somewhere close to acceptance and you have a healthy support network. I suppose I don’t really need to say healing takes time but I will and there will be wobbles so, I’ll echo what others have said and don’t hesitate to reach out on here. When I lost my dad, I found it incredibly difficult to get my head round the grief because I couldn’t quite get over the guilt of burying my head throughout his illness and despite having a strong support network I felt really isolated and lost despite what I thought I was projecting to my wife and child. I think in some way I’ll always carry that with me. I know I’m just an avatar on internet but please accept my sincerest condolences and take care of yourself.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Damn it. Based on some of our previous discussions, I feared that was what'd happened, but didn't wanna pry (especially considering that your hesitance to write about it was so selfless; for that to be your position in a time of grief is... beyond admirable, to say the least).

You have my sincere condolences.

I'm glad you had, and still have, the support you need AFK but of course, if there's ever anything a semi-anonymous cyber-friend could do to help, please yell anytime.

Same goes for @nessisonett @ralphdibny and any other decent regular reading this.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Ha! Before long you'll eventually have a kid staying up all hours of the night, talking back to you and all sorts @Thrillho so good luck!

I'm alright thanks @AgentCooper.

I've actually been away since December myself and only came back a few weeks ago.

We were hosting the Christmas & New Year's parties this year and so I was just quite busy over the Christmas holidays. Plus with me and my partner being primary school teacher's we still had a lot of work to plan for the new term.

I was ready to come back sometime in Jan but my PS4 had kicked the bucket (or so I thought) so I lost all the motivation to post here whatsoever.Thankfully I later learned it was just the hard drive so it was a less pricy proposition then I was thinking.

There's also the strikes over the past month or so and it's just been a little stressful in general.

Other then that though things have been pretty good. Best class of kids I've had for a good while (I teach year 2) and my partner has been filling in as a deputy headmistress. Given her a lot more work but she's risen to the occasion and then some!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Glad to see you are back. This place will surely be better for it.

@Ralizah So sorry to hear of your recent loss. Doubt anything i can say will make things better, it may be a cliche, but allowing the time to grieve is really essential. As is having a good support around you, which sounds like you are sorted in respect.

Without trying to come across like I'm quoting something from a Fast and Furious movies, this place can a have proper family vibe to it. Helps that there are quite a few of us that have stuck around for a few years.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Wanted to split my response to you from the other post I made in the thread. I'm not really sure what to say @Ralizah as there's been some wonderful and heartful responses to this tragic news but I'll try my best.

I'm really sorry to hear what's happened to you and your family Ral.

I know we're only avatars and text on a screen to one another but I've always enjoyed talking with you and hearing how your family is doing from the times you've mentioned them in previous discussions. Whether it's playing games together with your nephew or in regards to your mother. She sounded like one hell of a woman.

It's good to hear you're doing better and that you've got a good support network going to let your emotions out & feel comfortable talking through things. Just don't beat yourself up if you find yourself lapsing and struggling at points as I know how difficult that can be.

I'm not particularly one for divulging too much about myself on here either (Like ralph said worse things happen to better people) so I can understand the reticence of talking about such a thing. I do wonder sometimes if I'm being a bit too... Surface level at times with people I would genuinely consider friends. It's a hard balance to strike.

Sorry if that was a bit of a mess of a response but I hope it conveys my genuine concern and the heartfelt nature of. Like others have said I'm here to lend an ear should you need it Ral.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

After sitting here for about half an hour now, I'm not sure what to say, other than that the genuine feeling of community is absolutely what keeps me coming back to Push Square, and I appreciate all of the heartfelt responses. And am so, so sorry for other people here who have had to struggle with the pain of losing a close loved one. It's never easy to talk about, and I appreciate the disclosure.

@AgentCooper The more time goes on, the fewer working digital copies of P.T. are out there in the wild. I'm going to hang onto my PS4 and replay the game annually for as long as possible.

Crazy to think how easily a freely accessible demo became an ultra-rare resource.

Kidfried

@Ralizah The idea of losing a parent is something that keeps me up at night sometimes. Can't imagine how the last few months have been for you. It sounds like you made the choices that were right for you, and that's the best thing you can do. Love and kindness from across the Atlantic Ocean.

I have often doubted about sharing something personal here. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. When i think about it rationally I know the people here, and how I have always been treated with respect. On the other hand there's that voice that says "they don't care". People here do care, though, I know that for certain. I hope you continue to share what you want to - and similarly everyone should also free to withhold whatever they deem too personal.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried I'm generally pretty private, but it felt unfair to keep cryptically alluding to some undefined bad event. Although I agree people need to know and maintain their boundaries. There are things I'd never tell other people, and that's true of everyone.

If nothing else, I'm less inclined to worry about the possibilities awaiting the people I care about now. Because all of the neurotic hand-wringing I did, all of my planning and mental calculations didn't do a thing to protect the people I love. The universe is not in our control.

We all understand that intellectually, but it's a different thing to grok it.

Bundersvessel

@Kidfried Admittedly that would have been inspired, although I dare say I’m more a Dougie. Alas I’m on a strict no name change policy, which will put @Thrillho at ease. Hope you’re both well 👍

Hi @ralphdibny thanks for the warm welcome back, how are you getting on? I’ve just realised I’m yet to reply to your psn message, my sincere apologies.

Bundersvessel

@Th3solution Hey Sol good to hear from you, I hope you’re keeping well friend. What’s new for you? In regards to your question, It seems to have been adequately answered in the recommendations thread before I checked my notifications, although I will try and add any additional thoughts. Great game though 👍 take care.

Bundersvessel

Thanks @HallowMoonshadow and welcome back yourself, I hope your break was as rejuvenating as my own? Glad to hear the ps4 lives to fight another day ✊

I try my hardest to get into the spirit around Christmas, it just never hits like I expect it to, I make sure it works for the kids which is all that matters really. Huge props to doing the hosting, must have been intense.

My eldest son is year 2, it’s a really great age, the balance of excitement for the world, inquisitiveness and attitude is nicely balanced (most of the time) must be really rewarding for you. My son’s class did an assembly about Kenya yesterday in front of the whole school, replete with costumes and fruit props, so bloody cute 😊 Congratulations to your partner, exciting times! How are the strikes playing out then? The most I’ve to put up with is a few days with the boy at home. I can appreciate its been pretty stressful for you lot. I hope it works out well for you all 👍

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic