Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 8,361 to 8,380 of 10,083

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Vacation and travel are definitely the times when I will take the most extended gaming breaks. I used to take my Vita if I traveled and still get some time in, but lately I just can’t feel compelled to do that. When I have a “staycation” and take time away from working but don’t leave town, the gaming really ramps up.

@LN78 I totally get it. Gaming is often quite therapeutic, in that “I had a bad day and now I want to escape and just blow things up in a virtual setting” kind of way. But for me during the most intense stress, like when I’ve lost loved ones or have sick family or friends, I disengage with gaming altogether.

@ThereThere The pandemic definitely changed many aspects of life, and video gaming really received a boon from it all. Strangely enough, when I scan my game and trophy list, I played more games in 2018 than I did in 2019 or in 2020. There’s been a very slight decline in number of games played over the last 4 years. Weird. I didn’t expect that.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

Just upgraded my phone and for the first time ever I’ve gone I-phone over android. Ordered one of those PlayStation themed Backbone’s too, so I’m looking forward to trying out the remote play.

**** DLC!

Voltan

@colonelkilgore I'm curious how you find the Apple experience. Which model did you get? I've been using iPhones since the 4S (getting a new one every ~3 years) and I wouldn't go back to Android (although tbh the newer versions of the system seen better than they were when I switched).
The Apple devices shine especially when you have multiple (like a phone + a Mac + a HomePod or AppleTV or whatever), it's pretty amazing how seamlessly they work together with pretty much zero setup.

@kyleforrester87 There were Transformers stamps? That's kinda awesome

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan I got the I-phone 11… I’m not really a ‘phone-y’ and it was the only available model where I wouldn’t have to pay more on my contract. In all honesty I only really crossed over to use that shiny new PlayStation themed-backbone.

The phone arrived yesterday and still in the delivery bag… it’ll probably stay in there until I receive the backbone which is due to arrive at the end of the month.

**** DLC!

Voltan

@colonelkilgore You'll probably like using the iPhone then. It's very much an "it just works" kinda device

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan that’s cool, I used apple products when editing video in Uni (and thereafter when I started a small business) and I did feel the way you’ve mentioned there.

**** DLC!

Anti-Matter

Today 17 August 2022 is my country 77th anniversary of Independence Day celebration.
Merdeka !
Untitled

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

@Anti-Matter Very cool! Maybe in a couple of years we’ll have an Independence Day of our own 😉

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

@Anti-Matter Congratulations, a very good reason for celebration!

I just learnt today that my country (The Netherlands) unfortunately still doesn't recognize the 17th of August as the start of Indonesian independence. I think they still put the wrong date in school books. It's embarrassing, childish and most all very wrong.

Selamat, and bhinneka tunggal ika! 🇮🇩

Kidfried

ralphdibny

@kyleforrester87 got to....resist.... buying.....transformers stamps

I have star trek and marvel stamps and even though they are completely useless to me and annoying to store because I have such a small and specific collection of stamps that they basically get left on a shelf between some DVDs or bagged and boarded in a comics box, I think transformers might round the set off nicely. I'll just go in for the £12.50 set of all the different stamps though.

But still, so useless to me... Got to resist 😅

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

MightyDemon82

I seem to have acquired more books since I last moved. 23 boxes worth. Thank goodness games are digital. Well at least everything else will be a breeze to pack and just sofas and a bed to shift. It's came round quickly but off from Wednesday through to 6th of September (get the keys this Friday)!

MightyDemon82

nessisonett

@Kairu Eventually things will have to give way. Either a general strike to force bigwigs to stop taking record profits for themselves or widespread rioting. Been a while since we had a riot.

Voltan

There's a construction site across the street from me. New apartment buildings.
The apartments are extremely expensive - which is not unexpected, it's a nice area with a subway station on one side and a nature preserve on the other, probably one of the best spots to live in the city, even if it's technically on the outskirts.
As I was picking up my dinner from the local burger place, I saw two bicycles hauling mobile billboards advertising said apartment buildings.
Now here's the thing - they didn't advertise them as a nice place to live for families or anything like that. Instead they're apparently "a safe investment for your capital". They know damn well it's all going to landlords and high end AirBNB owners and no common folk can afford one, not even trying to keep a facade anymore.
Meanwhile, people in their 30s squat in tiny rooms they don't even own and any attempts at making housing affordable by the government is "communism" and apparently unfair to rich people.

I realize this isn't a huge issue compared to some actual ones in the present but it just made me not wanna live on this planet anymore for a minute.
Rant over, sorry.

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan I disagree mate, it is a big issue and your rant is totally justified. I mean like you alluded to, nobody (nobody who lives in the western world anyway) wants communism… but unbridled capitalism is very very dangerous also.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@ThereThere Well violent crime is already on the rise as can be seen by the recent horrors like that old bloke getting stabbed in his mobility scooter and now two shootings in Liverpool. People are frustrated and that leads to unrest. I know people have been apathetic for years now but it’s starting to hit the middle class now and that’s when actual change happens. Nobody cares what happens to us lot but they’ll care once they can’t have their holiday to Tenerife anymore.

The_Moose

@Voltan The issue is we're building houses at a record rate and the prices aren't coming down.

If the supply is going up and up but not getting cheaper it's because the demand is outpacing it. We currently have around 250-300,000 net immigration per year. It doesn't take a genius to work out that's unsustainable long term.

There's also other issues like housing benefit from UC being exploited by landlords which inflates rent prices in areas.

Looking at the system if you made benefits only claimable by UK citizens and stopped paying housing benefit as part of said benefit and instead at a flat rate (varying by region I imagine), house prices would crash and a lot more people could afford property.

Communism is never the answer to any problem. History (and the modern countries who have embraced it) teach us this.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic