Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 8,381 to 8,400 of 10,079

Voltan

@The_Moose I'm not in the UK, that kind of immigration isn't a thing here.

Voltan

The_Moose

@ThereThere I really feel for you situation and it must be horrible. We're reaping the rewards of decades of political short sightedness and other things out of our control.

All I can say is nothing lasts forever and nor will this crisis. Hang in there.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

The_Moose

@Voltan My apologies. Suppose my last paragraph still stands though.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

Th3solution

It’s a kind of perfect storm of chaos, and it shows just how fragile the world economy is. A few idiots in office, a global health crisis, a war, or all of the above will just rattle the foundations of civilization.

How about we all just jettison this dumpster fire of a world we have and set up a Communal Nation of Push Square on the moon? I nominate @kyleforrester87 for mayor.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@The_Moose To clarify then: I never said I want communism - just that any kind of a social program or attempt to regulate raging capitalism in general is being called that, often in bad faith.

Voltan

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 Sammy might want to run a smear campaign against you. But it’s ok. We got your back.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@The_Moose Are you seriously trying to blame immigrants for the housing crisis? I went to a flat viewing a few months back and there were over 20 people there, primarily students of an ethically Scottish background, for a flat that was a hovel priced well above what it would have been just a couple years back. It’s utterly insane to blame immigrants for the housing market when the immigrants that can actually afford housing here are the ones in relatively decent jobs that are paying tax. Otherwise, they’ll be in a social housing scheme, a hostel, or even been put temporary accommodation like a hotel while they wait for anything long-term. As somebody who’s been homeless and gone through the wringer of social housing at a young age and grown up on benefits, I would absolutely never deny anybody the same help that I needed just because they weren’t born here. These are kids who can’t afford to eat, whose parents can’t afford to heat their homes and have often fled a warzone. To remove their benefits because they weren’t born here is inhumane. You know who wasn’t born in the UK? Boris f***ing Johnson.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

The_Moose

@nessisonett Well why don't you explain why housing is in such short supply. The UK is at a negative replacement birth rate so it's not like the population is under pressure from us having too many kids. The UK completed just over 35,000 new homes between 2021-2022. Since we're already one of the most dense countries in Europe with a very finite amount of land it's probably not a good idea to keep building them at that rate. If we want to curtail that, we could really make a start in preventing the enormous and never before seen levels of immigration.

As I mentioned above 250-300,000 net immigration per year is crazy. It costs the treasury approximately £2,000,000,000 (billion) per year to house migrants in hotels alone. Each one of those needs a home eventually which increases demand.

Housing like anything else is subject to the law of supply and demand, demand is way outstripping supply, basically the biggest reason why housing is so expensive and in short supply is the fact that we have too many people in the UK and not enough houses for them.

If you were to refuse government financial aid (so no hotels, no benefits) to those who do not hold UK citizeship or had not been invited by the government as some form of refugee status (Ukraine for example), it would see a massive drop and over time house prices would go down.

You being in Scotland are in a sense insulated from the migration waves as most settle in England. Not saying you don't have a housing shortage in Scotland though.

What I'm suggesting is implemented in most countries outside of the west (and even some in Europe) and not many people think there's anything wrong with that but as soon as someone suggests the UK does it they clutch their pearls and cry "inhumanity!".

I don't see where Boris Johnson was born as having any relevance. He's a British citizen through his parents.

Voltan

Amazon is rumoured to announce the acquisition of Electronic Arts as soon as today.... fun times.

Voltan

nessisonett

We’ve made some cutbacks in order to y’know not financially collapse come October and Now TV seems to be strangely cheap. Still think we were getting ripped off by Sky who put up the prices every year for 13 years until we were paying over £100 a month for TV and broadband but now we’re only paying £37 for both. Mad.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Yeah I've cancelled some subs recently too. I had Spotify but also YouTube Music as part of premium, so cancelled the former as the both offer basically the same thing.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Yep, Spotify was one of the first to go for me as well. Found a 3 month trial for Apple Music though so that’ll keep me going for the foreseeable.

Octane

Does anyone know why Amazon doesn't sell first party PlayStation games? I have a bunch Amazon credit, I normally don't buy from Amazon, but since it's there I figured I may as well get TLOU on PS5, but they don't sell them. Nor do they sell PS+ subs.

Octane

Th3solution

@Octane I wonder if it’s a regional thing, but I just searched Amazon over here in the States and they are selling TLoU part I. Searched GoW Ragnarok and they are taking preorders for that too. Maybe the UK is different?

Edit: They have PS+ codes/cards also, although these seem to be all from secondary vendors in the Amazon marketplace.

Edited on by Th3solution

sorteddan

@Octane @Th3solution
I'm UK based and Amazon is willing to sell me PS5 version of TLOU part 1, currently priced £64.99
Where are you based @Octane ?

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Octane

@sorteddan The Netherlands. Weird, they do sell the artbook for Ragnarok, but not the game itself. They sell everything except for first party Sony games it seems. They do sell Nintendo games.

Octane

nessisonett

Really brilliant news that Dreamer from Supergirl is coming to Fortnite. I haven’t played in years but it has an enormous player base and they can reach a lot of people. So this Rainbow Royale thing is a great way to spread the word, especially amongst groups of people who are typically the sort to be abusive online.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic