Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 8,041 to 8,060 of 10,090

LN78

@RogerRoger Have you seen the "Batman Forever" Hot Toys figures that are up for pre-order? I'm not the biggest fan of the movie but the Robin is superb. I just bought this statuette. Untitled

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yes, they're frighteningly realistic, aren't they? I'm hoping they sell well, if only to boost chances of getting figures based on Batman & Robin in the near future. Then I'd have to bite.

That's a superb statue! He's the design from The Dark Knight Returns, am I right?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Yeah it's based on the Frank Miller version which is probably my second favourite after '89 Keaton but that particular Hot Toy is way out of my current price range. I'll never understand your affection for "Batman and Robin" (it's really,really bad) although I will admit that I've warmed (no pun!) to it on my last couple of viewings - firstly because the 4K blu-ray is absolutely reference quality (definitely get a copy if you haven't already) and secondly because a friend of mine said that I should watch it as a big budget modern take on the Adam West show from the 1960's. My antipathy towards it (and "Forever") was always based on the fact that they were meant to be canonical with the the two Burton movies (which I love) when they are tonally and aesthetically completely different. Viewing it in this new context actually makes it somewhat bearable although I doubt that angle was Schumacher's intention, beholden as he was to toy manufacturers and fast food franchises. At least he had the decency to apologise for that, I guess - he seemed to be a really nice chap.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Yeah, I used to dunk on Batman and Robin a lot as well but I actually appreciate it more now that we seem to be in an era of superhero movies all having the one identical tone. It might not be very good but it at least goes for that insane camp messy style rather than being utterly beige. Batman as a character was insanely camp until the 80s anyway, so it’s probably closer to a larger percentage of comics Batman than half the movies.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett Like I said I'd have so much more time for it if it was completely divorced from the Burton movies. That they even attempted to preserve continuity after switching director and lead actor AND with the negative public perception of "Batman Returns" is kind of insane. What's really funny in retrospect is that when I found out that Joel Schumacher (director of "The Lost Boys" and "Flatliners") was taking over the franchise I was ecstatic.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Ralizah

Interesting update on my covid infection.

So, through the course of the disease, when I was testing positive, I felt... well, not fine, but not horrendously sick, either. A bad cough, and a complete loss of smell and a tremendous dulling of the ability to taste anything other than basic qualities of flavor (spicy, salty, sweet, etc.), but, other than a few uncomfortable night on the trip, it was just like any other old cold.

I've actually been testing negative for about two days now. But these two days have also marked a pretty massive uptick in symptoms. My nose and throat are so clogged with mucus that I haven't been able to sleep since the day before yesterday, as I have a hard time breathing in anything other than a sitting position. My cough is violent and constant, to the point where I'm choking half the time I do it. What was a small bit of tiredness just days ago is now full-blown exhaustion. I'm even running a small fever atm. The smell/taste are still gone, of course, and I don't expect them back for a while, as I've shown no improvement on my front while my sister and brother-in-law have both partially retained their ability to smell stuff.

So, still "mild" symptoms, but pretty miserable compared to when I was positive and actively infectious. Thankfully, my blood O2 has remained pretty high, so unless something changes, I don't expect the need for any hospital visits.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LN78

@Ralizah That sounds pretty grim. Best wishes for a swift recovery.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah That does not sound good. Hope you feel better soon. Amazes me that some people think everything is back to normal now.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

render

@Ralizah I also had that weird thing of feeling worse after I started testing negative. That was when I started to get bad headaches and all the cold like symptoms that I had when I was testing positive were amplified, plus my breathing got a bit more difficult too. Even a week after my first negative test I'd go out for a slow run and feel completely done in at the end of it.

Hopefully you'll be back to normal soon!

render

RogerRoger

@Ralizah You might be suffering comparatively mild symptoms, but they still sound atrocious. I sincerely hope that you're safely out of the woods soon.

I'm glad your sister and brother-in-law are getting there, though. How's your Mom been holding up?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@lolwhatno I don't know if it's anything related to covid, but my mother is suffering some pretty terrible shoulder pain atm. We're hoping she tests negative soon so that we can take her in to have it looked at.

@RogerRoger So, we did end up needing to take her to the hospital for breathing issues. They kept her for a few days and then discharged her with supplemental oxygen. She's been using it almost 24/7, since using the oxygen seems to be the only way to keep her blood oxygen level up in the low 90s. I don't know if that's going to be a lifelong thing because of additional damage done to her already weak heart/lungs by the disease, or if the breathing will improve on its own after the virus has left her system. Considering the severity of her numerous comorbidities, though, I'll consider any outcome that doesn't end with her dead or on a ventilator to be a victory.

@render Interesting. I wonder why symptoms would worsen after the virus has left your system? I'm sure there's a good explanation for it.

How long did it take before you were feeling normal again?

@JohnnyShoulder The funny thing is, where I live, people never really changed how they lived. The government has been giving out KN95 masks, and nobody has been taking them, either.

@LN78 Thanks!

Edited on by Ralizah

render

@Ralizah It's a strange one but really not sure what causes symptoms to get worse after the virus has actually passed. My guess is that the virus is still present in some way but the test is no longer picking it but I'm not sure how that's possible, unless it's just such a small amount that it doesn't register in either the nose or throat.

It took me a good few weeks before I was feeling back to some form of normality and then another few on that before I could exercise and feel like I wasn't going to collapse at the end of it.

render

kyleforrester87

I've got a quick and random question for anyone using Apple OS. Can you rename and/or move a file while it's open?

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

render

@kyleforrester87 It's possible to do that yes, although I don't know if it has to be supported by the application. I've tried with a couple of different file types e.g. rtf file and jpeg image plus some of my code files and they all get automatically changed in the app they are open in.

render

render

@velio84 While the headaches were annoying for me they were nowhere near bad enough that I couldn't function, so you had it really bad. Had you had all the vaccine shots by that point?

render

Jimmer-jammer

@Ralizah this might not mean much, but may be worth keeping in the back of the mind for your mom.

After I had my appendix out, I developed a bad pain in my shoulder. Initially I was told it was migrating gas left over from the laparoscopic surgery (the gas is used to ‘inflate’ the work area). The pain never went away and it turned out that I had some residual blood pooled around my diaphragm. Apparently, diaphragm issues can and often do manifest as shoulder pain.

I did some further research on this at the time and there are a number of medical issues that can present themselves in this way, from acute pancreatitis to blood clots in the lungs. Given COVID’s penchant for causing blood clots, I’d encourage her to get checked out sooner rather than later, positive test or not.

I’m not a doctor and am not trying to alarm you, just wanted to pass on some information if it might help. Hope all goes well.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Ralizah

@lolwhatno @Jimmer-jammer We're gonna have it checked out ASAP when the virus passes her system. I'm guessing it's arthritic pain, because she has a history of that (she was supposed to have a knee replacement this month before, well, you know), including occasional, mild bouts in her shoulder. But it's been severe and debilitating any time she uses her arm now since the infection. I dunno if covid exacerbates that sort of pain or what.

She's also on a blood thinner, so clots seem unlikely.

I appreciate any and all information people are willing to share, btw. This is new territory for us, and it gives us questions we can pose to the doctor when she sees him.

@velio84 I didn't know your retina could peel off on its own. So sorry to hear that. It must have been awful.

I'm glad to know it's not uncommon for symptoms to worsen when the virus passes.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Damn it. Real sorry to hear that your Mom has had such a rough time. As others have said, the virus can wreak all sorts of havoc beyond the most common headline-grabbing symptoms, so here's hoping that she'll start to improve once it's run its course. Sorry I can't offer any more specific information or advice, but folks on this page seem to have really stepped up, which is awesome to see.

Whatever happens, know that you, your Mom and your family are being thought of all around the world.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Ralizah As others have said, thoughts are with you and your mom during this time. Hang in there and take good care of her and yourself.

The variability of disease severity and longevity of symptoms seems rather unpredictable. The “long-COVID” can linger for months, from what I’ve heard. Hopefully not for you all.

It’s interesting to see that there has been very little societal concern for this latest wave coming through. I’m pretty sure everyone is just numb to the whole pandemic by now and are willing to just wander the COVID mine field rather than go back to the way life was 2 years ago.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic