Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 8,041 to 8,060 of 8,146

RogerRoger

@DreamlandGem Don't worry, that guy's jokes never make any sense anyway.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I might post something someday. I’m weirdly self conscious and protective of my material. It’s a character flaw (of many) that I’m working on 😬

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Go Flames Go!!!

mookysam

@DreamlandGem Just for clarity, is it the policy of the site to keep politics out of games? It would be useful to know what the line is so we don’t cross it in the future. I’m a little confused why an article on the current topic was even posted at all.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

kyleforrester87

@mookysam basically, if you're not sure it's best to just say it somewhere else. But some people like to make it a more complex theory than that.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 Excellent GIF work!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

DreamlandGem

@mookysam Hey! We felt that the discussion was getting a little too far away from games. The article was published as it was a report relating to Jim Ryan's relationship with his staff - which is the news element. Hope that helps clear things up

DreamlandGem

Twitter:

lolwhatno

@mookysam They themselves don't know yet. Had a pro palestine status that got removed by the moderation when I asked for policy-backed reasons they failed to provide any. Just said that they are going to update the policy to block politics.

"None of you is a true believer until he wants for his brother (in Islam) what he wants for himself"
That's been my Motto for a few years and I try to applicate it in the smallest and biggest things (living the cold milk for someone else? )

NomNom

I wonder if this is enough to get rid of Ryan 🤔

PSN: Ultranomnom

I'll take the Vita to the grave with me, even if Sony won't.

PSN: Ultranomnom

TheIdleCritic

@RogerRoger Hey friend, I wanted to post this here as it made more sense. I'm still hanging in there. A lot has changed since the last time I had my head above the sand. I moved halfway across the world and I'm now in Australia. The UK harboured a few too many bad memories and whenever I tried to "be normal" (Like do things with my website. Remember that?!) it was like I was hitting a brick wall, mentally. Nothing seemed to fix it. So I had to do something!

I'm still in the middle of trying to settle in, in fact I have just over a month to find a new place to live so I'm occupied with stressing over that. But I hope to start showing my face on here again.

I'm all alone over here and I'm starting anew, but perhaps it's what I need. I'm not sure yet. Life is a little surreal at the moment. One day at a time. I'm doing much better though, but I'll have a better idea of my state after this moving/settling in period.

RogerRoger

@TheIdleCritic Hey, or rather I should say, g'day!

That's perhaps the cleanest break I've ever known anybody to make, so well done for making it, as it must've been a pretty big decision! And whatever the outcome of your move might be, at least you've tried, and will have learned a few things about how you deal with certain circumstances, which is a positive, even when it might not feel like it. Like you say, one day at a time!

Really grateful for the update, and am keeping fingers crossed that everything works out for you (which makes typing a challenge, but it's worth it). Best of luck finding a new place and settling in, and yeah, hope to see you posting more often! Do yell anytime via PSN if you need and / or want to, too.

Making It So Since 1987

lolwhatno

Been following Kotaku for a while, and the site is the perfect example of only for profit journalism, not journalism to break news to people but journalism to make money.
Every single one of their articles (that pop up in my feed) are titled to get people up into arms about something, even the most meaningless things.
Am I the only one that noticed that transition?

"None of you is a true believer until he wants for his brother (in Islam) what he wants for himself"
That's been my Motto for a few years and I try to applicate it in the smallest and biggest things (living the cold milk for someone else? )

nessisonett

@lolwhatno These sites are for-profit though. I’m sure the writers on this site would agree that there’s certain expectations to write the sort of articles that see heavy traffic. IIRC, the lists and guides on this site see a lot more traffic than the ‘controversial’ articles which are accused of being written to stir the pot. It also sounds a lot like you’re insinuating that Kotaku only write articles about progressive issues in order to get people ‘up in arms’ which is obviously nonsense. They write those articles because their writers pitch an idea to an editor who OKs it. I know irrationally hating Kotaku and ResetEra is the in thing amongst ex-Gamergaters and the like but it’s 2022, you’d think people would have a rather more balanced view of the pros and cons of these sites.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

LiamCroft

@nessisonett That's correct, we wouldn't have the website we have today without the traffic generated by our guide campaigns and PS5/PS4 game lists — to call them the backbone of the site would be an understatement.

General news articles, even if they cover a "controversial" topic or angle, are dwarfed by guides. Every single article ever written is designed to make you click on it @lolwhatno. If you don't, people don't have jobs doing this.

PSN ID: Liam_Croft

Thrillho

@lolwhatno I used to read Kotaku UK a lot but it was always slightly weird how it was such a messy mash up of their US writers and their separate UK team.

Keza Macdonald was really good from the UK (was at IGN before, now at the Guardian) and they did have some amazing and varied people in the US like Tim Rogers, Patrick Klepek, and obviously Jason Schreier so it had a cool mix of voices, and later did have a more varied rota of writers, rather than just White American Dude (even if Gita Jackson writing twenty articles a week on The Sims did my head in).

But the different takeovers and massive staff turnover have left it a bit of a shell of what it once was.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

Not a massive reader of any site's content these days (except for this one I suppose), so was never a consistent reader of Kotaku, but the one they did when they tracked down the one remaining player of Babylon’s Fall was kinda neat.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

lolwhatno

@nessisonett I knew I shouldn't have written that before going to sleep, I didn't word it properly/forgot to add things:
1- I don't think that journalists only care about profit (usually), they enjoy (to a certain extent) their job, otherwise why be a journalist. I meant that kotaku became only for profit journalism.

2- I wasn't talking about progressive issues (maybe a little, but it's not the main point), my main thought when typing that sentence was the NFTs articles. These lack any professionalism and just insult NFTs with absolutely no professionalism. And while I understand the hate for them, I don't think that an article is a place for this:

"NFTs feel like the most extraordinarily precise emblem of the 2020s. It’s all a glaringly obvious pile of b*llsh*t."
"all given life by enough idiots clapping their hands and shouting how they believe in fairies. Unfortunately, a lot of these clapping idiots wear expensive suits and talk loudly in boardrooms, and as with every other aspect of the scam-fest that is “web 3.0,” businesses have been desperately scrambling to profit before the whole illusion blows away on a breeze."

Now both you and I will say these are fair points, but do they really belong to a supposedly "professional" gaming journalism website? It's the type of comments that I would see in a comment section.

"amongst ex-Gamergaters" (I have no idea what this means, I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed. Is it a website or a way of saying gate-keeping video games). But your point about guide articles is really strong, I guess it might be a few writers that farm these articles then and not the whole website.
As @Johnyshoulder said, they have some good articles, it's probably why I'm still checking it from time to time.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic