Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 8,021 to 8,040 of 10,091

Anti-Matter

I prefer K-1 instead.

I really wish K-1 get the video game version again on PS5 after the last time on PS2 since year 2006.

Anti-Matter

JohnnyShoulder

@render You mean @colonelkilgore Is the Embracer group?! Kinda makes sense now! šŸ‘€

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

render

@JohnnyShoulder He has to be getting funding from somewhere, no one could afford to keep buying more games than they will ever be able to play in their lifetime like @colonelkilgore does šŸ˜‚

render

nessisonett

Happy Pride Month all! Lord knows I could do with a bit of glitz and glam at the moment.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I have no idea why, but your wording there immediately made me think of this...

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@render Either that or he really is Phil Spencer.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@lolwhatno Huge congratulations, my friend! That's an excellent result, and I'm sure that whichever choice you make'll be the right one! Take your time and don't rush your decision; five days doesn't sound like a lot, but it'll be plenty to allow you to carefully weigh your options. Best of luck!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Herculean

Pretty obvious the Final Fantasy trailer has been delayed before because of the war in Ukraine, right?

Herculean

nessisonett

@Herculean Is there any reason for that? Everyone has English accents and itā€™s in a medieval setting. Iā€™m not sure why it would be affected.

render

@lolwhatno Congrats on getting two really strong options. Itā€™s great to have the choice and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll know which one is right for you šŸ‘

render

Thrillho

@lolwhatno A nice dilemma to have for you though. And Iā€™m sure youā€™ll enjoy whichever choice you make.

When I applied for university, I chose four good ones where I would have been happy with any of them. ā€œLuckilyā€ I only got one offer which made things easier

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@lolwhatno If I were to give one piece of advice (and I stress, I'm just a borderline stranger, sitting at a computer half a world away, having lived a totally different life, writing this based on the limited information you've provided) it would be to place more importance on the subject than the school.

You say you don't like Physics as a subject, yet you're still tempted to study it at a prestigious institution that'll make for a good name on your resumƩ... well, if you don't have a passion for the subject, then the school's name won't be worth much regardless. Average grades from a great school are still average grades. You say that Math / Computer Science is exactly what you want to do. If that's the case, you'll care more, and your grades will soar, because you'll struggle less and be happier in yourself, and the pressure to live up to the reputation of a top-ranked school won't be suffocating you all the while.

That's just my take, though, based on my own personal life experiences. Like I said, I'm confident you'll make the right choice, even though it's also a tough choice. Whatever happens, greatness awaits!

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@lolwhatno Even if you don't end up liking it, switching studies after the first year isn't that uncommon. Some universities allow for more general ''science'' studies in the first year, and make it easier to switch after the first year. Maybe the uni of your choice offers a similar program?

Octane

nessisonett

Immensely grateful that my neighbours havenā€™t put up the Union Jacks everywhere, they have a rather different connotation up here. Guess thatā€™s us safe untilā€¦ about 3 weeks time when marching season starts šŸ˜‚

LN78

@Ralizah You're a bit of a Mario connoisseur, right? I know you love "Galaxy" (also my personal favourite) and loathe "64" but what's your opinion on "World" for the SNES? I just found an old issue of "Retro Gamer" from 5 or so years ago (maybe a little older) where their readers voted it the greatest game of all time, with the rest of the Top 5 consisting of "64" ,"Tetris","Shenmue" and "Ocarina". I don't think I've ever seen it at the pinnacle of one of these rankings before although it's usually in the Top 10.

LN78

R1spam

Don't know if there are any giantbomb fans in the threads but Jeff G is leaving giantbomb and today was his last day. Seems nuts he won't even get a goodbye stream or be on the bombcast. Proper end of an era

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

Ralizah

@LN78 Bit of an unpopular opinion, but I feel confident in saying, after having re-completed it recently as part of my goal to 100% all of these games, that Super Mario World was a disappointing entry in the series. It feels like a step back from SMB3 in numerous ways, frankly: less level diversity, way fewer power-ups, floaty controls, thoroughly weird music, less minigames, etc. I also hate ghost houses, which is one of the things it introduced to the series.

I think, like with 64, a lot of people still uncritically laud it because they have strong feelings of nostalgic fondness for it.

But I'll say this: as annoying as it is to play today, it's easy to see how SM64 was unlike anything else at the time. The level of control and freedom it offered was unprecedented. It pretty much invented wholesale the sort of controllable third-person camera we take for granted today. So while I think it's, by far, the weakest of the 3D Marios, I wouldn't say I loathe it. But it's not an untouchable masterpiece. How depressing would it be if 3D platformer game design hadn't evolved past the game that essentially birthed the genre in the first place?

World definitely added to the series (Yoshi, most notably), but it's far less innovative and impressive than any of the entries that preceded or succeeded it. It's not even the best Mario game on the SNES if you count Yoshi's Island, which, IMO, is the 16-bit entry that actually did a lot to innovate.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LN78

@Ralizah That's interesting. I might look into finding a copy of "Yoshi's Island". Whilst I played "World" a lot when I was younger (and I definitely want to play it again now in the wake of reading this article) I never gave its sequel much attention - I think I must have beem firmly into my "Street Fighter 2" phase when it came out. I mentioned it before but there are a couple of excellent documentaries about the 2D Mario games by a YouTuber called Videogame Historian that are well worth checking out if you're interested..Thanks for the reply!

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic