Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 761 to 780 of 10,096

DerMeister

So now, I finally have a job again. It's a dishwashing job on weekends, but it's better than nothing. I'm just glad to be employed again.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

kyleforrester87

@DerMeister how old are you, and where about in the states? Is work really that hard to come by?

I've lived in London for a decade and it's so easy to find work here. I guess I take it for granted. I know in my home town it is very difficult and some people are still working the same jobs they had when I moved away because they do not have other options.

Congrats on the job, though. I did that (along with other cleaning) when I was 15-18 in a butchers shop. Kinda miss it to be honest. Was better than delivering papers lol

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Splat

kyleforrester87 wrote:

@DerMeister how old are you, and where about in the states? Is work really that hard to come by?

I've lived in London for a decade and it's so easy to find work here. I guess I take it for granted. I know I'm my home town it is very difficult and some people are still working the same jobs they had when I moved away because they do not have other options.

Congrats on the job, though. I did that (along with other cleaning) when I was 15-18 in a butchers shop. Kinda miss it to be honest. Was better than delivering papers lol

It can be pretty hard to find one in the states depending on where you live.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

kyleforrester87

@Splat yeah I can imagine to be fair. I always just think.. move then! But the big thing keeping people from doing that is family. I'm not that close to my family, though we get along overall, but it made it pretty easy to get away.

kyleforrester87

Tasuki

@kyleforrester87 Well not only that but moving across the US is pretty hard (I know I am actually looking into that). Not only do you have stuff like logistics and monetary reasons but the areas of the US are so vastly different in culture, weather terrain, Financial it's almost as bad as moving to another country.

I mean for California for example minium wave is $11 an hour IIRC, but somewhere like Virginia it's only 7.25 an hour and that's for the same job. So it would take some adjusting to get use to that.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

WanderingBullet

@Tasuki "I mean for California for example minium wave is $11 an hour IIRC, but somewhere like Virginia it's only 7.25 an hour and that's for the same job. So it would take some adjusting to get use to that."

But the cost of living in California is higher compared to Virginia, though, right?

Over here the minimum hourly wage for something like a job at McD's is probably around $1.30.

@kyleforrester87 CNN did a poll and rated London the most expensive city to live in. If that's the case I assume the wages there are high as well?

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Gremio108

My internet went down again for a few days. I'm assured it should be permanently fixed now. So I log on to Push Square this morning to find that the Twitter masses mobilised against Kratos. Unbelievable stuff.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

kyleforrester87

@Tasuki @WanderingBullet The rent for a 1 bed flat in London is about half your salary if you're earning £34k which is apparently the average, but that average is probably a bit skewed by some of the mega earners at the very top. Realistically a lot of people are on £27-£30k so you'd be spending over half your rent on a 1 bed flat. The "golden rule" is your rent should be 1/3 so you can see you're going way over, even if you're earning good pay.

For that reason you need to be living in a flat share or living with a partner to make it affordable. When I moved here 10 years ago I rented a room for £500 per month in a 5 bed house that had 7-10 people. I really enjoyed it at the time to be honest but it's not something I'd want to go back to.

Relocating is a lot easier when you're younger and, oddly, you have next to no money.

kyleforrester87

DerMeister

@kyleforrester87 I'm 23 and I live in Dallas, Texas. It's a pretty populated city, but even then you'd think it wouldn't be too hard for me to find a job, but it has. I've applied to nearly every place under the sun, but got turned down. I don't have anything against me either, I've never served jail/prison time and obviously I'm legally allowed to work in the country. The only thing I can think of if my lack of work experience (only worked two jobs) and the gap between jobs in my resume.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Haruki_NLI

Good news on a Monday morning, I got past the screening stage of a job apllication. Just had to fill an assessment and then see if anything happens next.

Probably helps I have worked for these guys before, albeit as a three week temporary deal.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

LuckyLand

I was wondering: Bethesda often says they are not working on a new main single player TES game, and every time online sites and videogames journalists say they are sure this is not possible, so... could it be that Bethesda is actually not working on a NEW main singleplayer TES game because they are working on the remake of an old one?

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

JohnnyShoulder

@LuckyLand Bethesda revealed the next Elder Scrolls game at E3?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LuckyLand

@JohnnyShoulder Oh I missed it. I still want Oblivion rev 2.0 but this one will be probably interesting too. But this mean that Bethesda often said a false thing in the past (that a new game was not in development) I guess.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

JohnnyShoulder

@LuckyLand To be fair to them, they have only just started working on it and will most likely be a next gen game.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Knuckles-Fajita Congratulations! My fingers are crossed for you (well, not literally, otherwise it'd be a challenge to type this out, but you know what I mean)!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I didn't, so thanks for the heads-up! Not sure quite what to think. On the one hand, I'm pleased for the franchise and this could mean good things; however, my immediate reaction was pretty much as follows:

"There's loads of new Star Trek coming..."

Yay!

"...from the guy who brought you Discovery."

Oh.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger to be fair he has made and been involved in some good shows over the years plus he co-created Discovery with Bryan Fuller and most of the changes were Fullers ideas (it's why he got sacked) and he wasn't the show runner either then, it was Gretchen J Berg and Aaron Harberts, the ones who were recently sacked for abusing the cast and crew

Kurtzman actually had very little do do with the first season of Discovery, he was basically the guy upstairs but he is a huge Trekkie and he took over as show runner once the last ones were fired so it's possible he could bring things around

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic