Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 7,361 to 7,380 of 10,077

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman …”mutton chop of eternal goodness” 😂 sounds like an entertaining quest! And as for its conclusion, well, when you play with fire…

I took a bit of a break from Last Stop to wrap up Cyber Shadow. Hoping to continue on with chapter 2 tonight.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

JohnnyShoulder

@Voltan I still don't properly understand what an NFT is.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

sorteddan

@JohnnyShoulder
Me neither. Only heard about them earlier this year when NBA fans were buying 'moment's - for example a video clip of a famous slam dunk or whatever. Now apparently anyone could record it off the telly or stream it on the internet but only one person could own the officially sanctioned and purchased moment. I guess it can be verified by technology beyond my ken. It seemed the idea was that they would become more valuable over time and the owners would benefit. So seems like buying art or antiques, only digital.

Now video games are offering NFTs so I imagine it will again be a one time unique purchase which may increase in value if you chose to sell it on.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Voltan

@JohnnyShoulder It’s basically a file that’s certified to be the original file and not a copy of it. Due to some cryptographic magic, there will always be only one instance of the “real” file, even though there can be others containing the same data.
Basically it’s bull💩 that serves no purpose other than creating artificial value and makes absolutely no sense in games. And it’s resource-heavy to create while at it.

Voltan

Voltan

@Sorteddan Yeah, that’s pretty much it. Except there’s absolutely no need to use them in a game. Want to sell a unique weapon skin or something? So program your game so that only one player can have it. No need to waste kilowatts on a signature that changes nothing.

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

sorteddan

@Voltan
Well I can imagine they don't just have to be cosmetic. For example the millions of weapon combinations on something like Borderlands or a super statistic sword on a Skyrim RPG. If you could earn or buy one that other people envied then that would have real world value.
Now I don't like the idea and will not be supporting it in any way but I can totally see how it could become more common in gaming and be just another way to rinse the gamers

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Voltan

@Sorteddan My point is that whatever the in-game item is, it doesn’t need NFT to be unique in the game. You literally just need to program it to be unique. That’s it.

There’s no advantage to using NFT other than making it seem more valuable.

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

sorteddan

@Voltan
Fair enough.
Like I say I don't think I fully understand it yet.
I think they will be marketed as something that could benefit gamers (e.g. By allowing them to buy/sell and make money) but I remain suspicious and believe it's probably just the latest way to maintain or increase corporate profits.

JohnnyShoulder

@Voltan @Sorteddan Cheers guys. Yeah it all sounds like the latest money making scheme used by these companies. Along as it doesn't seep into stuff like Sony 1st party single player games, I'll continue to ignore it the best i can.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho Following the legendary Ashes series? What did you think of day one?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Ralizah

Got my flu shot and covid booster in the same day.

Sore arms ho!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

render

@Ralizah I had the covid booster yesterday and having one arm that doesn't work properly is bad enough. Trying to not roll over on it while sleeping was the real challenge. Hope you recover soon!

render

Thrillho

@Ralizah I had the same a few months ago. Flu was sore the same day and a slight dead arm from the Pfizer the next day. I've been quite lucky to not have anything more than a dead arm with any of my three Pfizer jabs.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@johncalmc Wow, that’s his daughter you’re talking about 😉

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho What did you make of day three? Root and Malan weren't mucking about, a deficit now of 58 runs all we have to do now is stay in for two days or score a whopping total tomorrow and get Australia out for a low number of runs. Even if we don't win or draw this one it still bodes well for the remaining tests, a day like today.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman The glimmer of hope to make the crushing disappointment even worse...

But seriously, there were some dubious selection decisions for the test and England should have done better with dropped catches and missed run outs. It's nice to see those two get a decent score and the openers get a few at least.

To get any result here would have been incredible and I reckon England will be pinning their hopes on the day/night tests where we'll see Jimmy and Broad back out there.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Voltan So, I must admit I was a little surprised at It Takes Two taking home the GOTY award. It’s clearly a fan and critical favorite, but being a co-op game makes it a little more niche than the usual winners. It’s why I thought Returnal was snubbed for the GOTY nomination (although great to see it win best action game, which is high praise in and of itself) due to the niche nature of the Rogue-like theme. Regardless, I do need to play It Takes Two, but I’ll have to wait for someone to come into my life who would sit down on a couch and play with me. …specifically, it seems to me based on trailers and footage to be a “couples” game, whereby it’s based on a struggling hetero marriage that’s falling apart and so the husband and wife have to learn to work together. It seems very Disney-like on that front, and although I’m not opposed to that approach (I like the feel-good, happily-ever-after storytelling as much as the next guy) I do feel like it might be awkward to play with just a buddy. Does anyone know if the game is better when played with a partner / love interest versus just a pal?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic