Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 6,481 to 6,500 of 6,612

ralphdibny

@Jimmer-jammer nice! Had to look it up as I hadn't heard of Bob and Doug. Can't believe that's Rick moranis!

I feel the same about Italian lol, I can order an ice cream sandwich (gelato con brioche) and I know a handful of inappropriate words but I couldn't hold a conversation beyond simple niceties. Having said that, there are a few Italian words that I use instead of the English just because I was brought up with them.

But yeah, loads of British accents - it's brilliant! I have been bamboozled a few times though like when I got asked if I wanted "potazhias" with my dinner in Dublin (potatoes) and when I got told there was a bit of "duck" in the printer (dirt) by the Scottish IT tech back when I was at school 😂

@Thrillho your wish has come true:

ralphdibny

Jimmer-jammer

@Thrillho ooh boy, that heavy scouse accent in particular requires a trained ear. After a bit of googling, I feel like two beer is all it would take for them to be completely unintelligible to my ears.

True genuineness actually puts people off. The only way to combat this is with time. Stay true, and one time enemies may become long time friends.

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny @Jimmer-jammer @Thrillho When the Liverpool FC from a few years was aired in America, they had put subtitles in for some of the scouse accents, as some people couldn't understand them!

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

God, I had so many issues of this. I’d love to see all those demo disks again and some of the great and not-so-great games they had. The Net Yaroze games were normally a highlight.

(I should probably have checked the front page of this website first...)

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

nessisonett

I just learned that apparently some people use their middle fingers to press L2 and R2. What in the world. I never even thought there were other ways to hold a PlayStation controller. Other than that horrible FromSoft claw thing that’s awful on the joints where you hold circle to run with a stray finger while moving the right stick.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Th3solution

@nessisonett When I read that I instinctively thought that I used my middle finger for the R2 L2 triggers but I had to actually pick up my controller and think about it. 😅
Nope, I slide my index finger down to hit both triggers with the index. Middle finger just holds and stabilized the handles. Good to see I’m normal.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Jimmer-jammer

@nessisonett @Th3solution well I don’t know what to think now. I use my index fingers for R1/L1 and my middle fingers for R2/L2. I thought that was normal 🤪

True genuineness actually puts people off. The only way to combat this is with time. Stay true, and one time enemies may become long time friends.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett @Th3solution same, I think the design is meant for index finger on the 1’s and middle finger on the 2’s but it doesn’t work for my old hands.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

I ain’t ever met a souls-like I didn’t like!

colonelkilgore

Oh, and @Jimmer-jammer, just to let you know... I’m gonna play Ashen through in July. So end of July, start of August for co-oping final boss on Children of Sissna?

Edited on by colonelkilgore

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore sounds good, man! I’ll make sure to chip away at a children of Sissna play through in the meantime so I’m ready 👍

Th3solution

@Jimmer-jammer @colonelkilgore Yeah, I think the issue is that when one is pressing down quickly and repeatedly on the R2 trigger, if your index is laying over the R1, don’t you sometime inadvertently press the R1 since the index finger moves a little when the middle finger presses down?
I mean, sure, if it’s a complex input and both a 1 and 2 need to be pressed simultaneously then I’d use the middle finger, but it doesn’t happen often. Not counting Heavy Rain, that is. 😂

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Thrillho

@nessisonett Ha, I’ve gone to post about the same thing on here before.

I am in the “index fingers for both” camp but the other one I notice I do is press square and triangle with my thumb pad but press X and O with my mid thumb (at the joint) so that the pad is still on the square button.

Is that the norm on here too?

Thrillho

colonelkilgore

@Thrillho I go X & Circle with thumb-pad and Square and Triangle with thumb-tip.

Voltan

I usually just use index fingers on triggers but I know there was a game that made me do the middle finger thing without even really thinking about it. Felt kinda natural for that control scheme. Obviously I don't remember which game it was
Pressing X and O with the "mid thumb" is the way to do it IMO. In some games (like fighting games) you sometimes need to press X+Square or O+Triangle so that's pretty much how the game expects you to do it.

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan you guys must have baby-thumbs... my thumb pad covers all four symbols. Having said that, I do have a particularly big thumb. I’ve always had to take the largest bowling ball as my thumb doesn’t fit in any of the smaller ones.

JohnnyShoulder

Yep I'm am middle finger user too, I think. I've never thought about it previously. Will have to see later when I play something. I do have small hands though, being a short ass.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ralphdibny

I use my index for both unless there is a game that requires both buttons at the same time which is fairly infrequent, especially in the PS4 era.

I do claw for fighting games though but I bought a fightpad ages ago which has R1 and R2 as face buttons (still claw but without having to move your hand back around to hit shoulder buttons) and subsequently an arcade stick for fighting games

ralphdibny

nessisonett

@Thrillho I actually do that too with my thumb. I think it’s a hang-up from the Cube though, using different parts of my thumb to hit the various oddly shaped buttons.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

TraCuz-

Not sure if any of you are familiar with this channel but I'm always interested in thought provoking content, this one piqued my interest and may do the same for you. Lemme know what you think if you watch.

Currently Playing:

Apex Legends, Final Fantasy XIV, Returnal, and MGS4

PSN: TraCuz-

RogerRoger

Interesting discussion about controller-holding, not least because I was recently playing Spidey and it's one of the few games which demands that I press both R1 and R2 at the same time (web-shooting whilst web-swinging during a couple boss fights). I have no problem adjusting to use my middle finger on R2, but it's definitely an adjustment, and one I was conscious of every time I had to make it.

For games where I'm constantly tapping at L2 and R2, I'll use my index fingers because they're better at being reactive, but for games which demand L2 or R2 be held constantly (mostly driving games, I guess) then I'll often choose to use my middle finger, just to spread the strain.

@TraCuz- Yes. 100% yes, that, all the time. I'm dreading playing the Mass Effect trilogy again.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic