Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 2,221 to 2,240 of 2,292

LN78

@RogerRoger For me "Profit and Lace" from DS9 (my favourite show of the Berman era) is the absolute worst followed by (obviously) "Shades of Gray" from TNG and then (as we've previously discussed) "These Are The Voyages" from Enterprise. There are quite a few more that I skip on marathons but not as many as there used to be. My tolerance levels for cheese are definitely on the up.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Agree with you about "Profit and Lace", which has aged like milk on Nimbus III. It gives "Threshold" a run for its money, that's for sure. I can ever-so-slightly forgive "Shades of Gray" when I'm feeling generous, because we at least understand the circumstances behind its existence (budget cuts, writer's strike, etc.) and mercifully, it didn't set a trend. Nobody set out to promote it as what Star Trek should be; it's just an unfortunate side effect of doing business on television. I'd skip it if I didn't love Pulaski so much but, since it's her final episode an' all, I tend to sit through it out of obligation.

I know what you mean, though. The further time advances, and the more the modern shows try to bring to the table, the better things seem "back in the day" (whether they're actually any good or not). It goes without saying that you and I have wildly different standards but heck, I'd watch "Shades of Gray" on a loop for a week before I go anywhere near Discovery or Lower Decks.

Heck, going back four years, my own standards have shifted since I listed my favourite and least-favourite episodes on this topic's fifth page. I failed to mention "Profit and Lace" and thought that "Favourite Son" was worse than "Threshold". It's like reading the thoughts of a stranger!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@LN78 @RogerRoger The Child from TNG is borderline unwatchable. I can’t even fathom worse episodes of Star Trek than that.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett That one was a re-tooled script from the aborted "Star Trek Phase 2" series. There were a few like that in the early seasons of TNG. I think the outright racist "Code of Honor" (another worst ever contender) was another. Those first few seasons were choppy to say the least.

LN78

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Oh, you'll get there, trust me! "The Child" is average-to-good in comparison to some of 'em!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Postcards from our morning spent boldly going where, er... well, wherever as far as the level caps and faction divisions would allow us to go, let's be honest.

I'm quite jealous of your Bird of Prey. I've always liked that ship, even if it's a tad overused.

Untitled

This is what the other side of the Bajoran Wormhole looks like in-system, by the way...

Untitled

...so yeah, as you can see, you didn't miss much.

Untitled

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger lol omdz! That is not at all what the game looks like on my screen 😂. The B.O.P is so detailed

I also look like some sort of Jesus Gorn in that third picture with the halo from the sun.

I know it's the Bajoran wormhole but it looks a lot like the end of Star Trek '09 with an Enterprise flying out of it!

But yeah awesome pics, thanks for uploading! Also it's super easy to get a B.O.P. just start a Klingon career 😂. It's the first ship you get which shows how much I've actually played this game.

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Yeah, the in-game camera is annoying at best. Apparently, on PC, you can remove the HUD and zoom right in to see all the lovely detail. I'd kill for that feature on PS4.

You're right about that wormhole shot, too! It's a shame because, when they upgraded the graphics for ships and systems, they seem to have downgraded the wormhole. I looked over some of my older screencaps and it's much less of a fuzzy blue swirl, and far more visually distinct.

Untitled

Untitled

Thanks for the tip! Methinks my days of starting new campaigns are long since passed, but the next time I'm in a really strong Trekkie mood, I'll keep it in mind (even if the camera is broken)!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger oh wow, that's like a Webb telescope to Hubble telescope difference in the wormhole!

See ya!

LN78

Another Trek alum - Kirstie Alley - has died. She may well have become a right wing scientologist wackadoo in later life but I always loved her turn as Lt. Saavik in "Star Trek 2". Sad news.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Sad news indeed. May she rest in peace.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

I re-watched the second season of Star Trek: Picard over the weekend and, as is often the case with modern shows, it works so much better as a binge. It's still a little too slow in the middle (despite being ten episodes long, it's only got enough meaningful content for about seven, maybe eight) but all of its narrative themes are much more cohesive, and therefore much more effective, when you're able to stay with them. I really, really enjoyed myself, far more than I was expecting to. Bring on Season Three!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

This YouTuber has made one of the best comprehensive "Star Trek" retrospective series that I've ever seen - even if he is a little bit too kind to the J.J. Abrams/Kurtzman era for my liking! This one is the first of 20 parts:

Well worth a watch.

LN78

LtSarge

I don't know anything about Star Trek but I would love to experience this franchise. I noticed that SkyShowtime has the Star Trek movies (1 to 9), The Next Generation as well as Strange New Worlds. I'm much more interested in watching something more recent, i.e. Strange New Worlds. Because the issue I have with watching older stuff is that it looks so amateurish, which was my experience with Star Wars The Original Trilogy. For that franchise, I much preferred The Sequel Trilogy because everything looked more modern.

So my question is, do I have to watch the older stuff first or can I just enjoy the more recent stuff?

LtSarge

LN78

@LtSarge Watch the retrospective series I highlighted in the above comment. It's really good.
PS Disliking stuff just because it doesn't "look modern" is pretty shallow. Ever heard the saying "don't judge a book by the cover"?

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LtSarge

@LN78 How does that apply to me? I did watch the Star Wars movies and I didn't like them for exactly the reason that they look bad. Am I not allowed to dislike stuff because they look unimpressive? Not to mention seeing characters that clearly look like dudes in a costume completely ruins the immersion. These are all perfectly valid reasons to dislike something.

Now if Star Trek isn't like that, then feel free to tell me that. Not all older media looks dated. But your comment doesn't mention at all what the older movies are like and it isn't helpful at all trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't like.

LtSarge

LN78

@LtSarge I suggested that you watch the retrospectives I embedded to decide whether "Trek" is for you or not - how is that not helpful? I didn't "tell you" what you should and shouldn't like, either - I simply pointed out that disliking media (particularly of the older variety)because of the way it looks is shallow - try focusing your attention on the stories and the performances - modern "Star Trek" looks fantastic but the writing is completely terrible, for example. Referring to the original "Star Wars" trilogy as "amateurish" is just plain ignorant - especially coming from somebody who thinks that the "Halo" TV show is good. Sorry if that offends you. Put me on mute, mate. I'm happy to ignore you in return.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LtSarge

@LN78 So you want me to watch a 20-part series that looks to be 10+ hours long in order for me to decide whether or not to watch Star Trek? That's not helpful in the slightest and you're also being inconsiderate thinking that I have 10 hours to spare like that.

And what did you gain by pointing that out? The only thing you get is a rise out of someone by talking like that. Okay, I am shallow, thanks a lot. You're such a nice guy. Absolutely unnecessary comment towards someone who just wanted to learn more about a new franchise.

I think I'll just avoid this thread from now on and do my own research about Star Trek.

LtSarge

LtSarge

@LN78 Wow, I just read your edited post and you're really in a bad mood. Imagine getting this upset because of somebody's opinions on the internet. At least now I understand the reason for your tone in your first reply to me. I'll gladly block you.

LtSarge

LN78

@LtSarge Sorry for not having a crystal ball that tells me how much free time you have.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic