Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 2,201 to 2,220 of 2,292

RogerRoger

As part of the hype ahead of the Star Trek: Prodigy game releasing this weekend, I spent an hour earlier starting a fresh save file on Star Trek: Shattered Universe, the well-meaning-but-kinda-awful PS2 arcade space shooter starring George Takei and Walter Koenig.

Completely by coincidence, I recognised that one of the game's fighters looks a lot like the new villain's ship that's chasing everybody in the Season Three trailer. Now I'm wondering if it's a clue!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Call me a cynic, but the words "reused asset" came springing to mind.

LN78

RogerRoger

Star Trek Prodigy: Supernova is indeed better than I expected it to be, but then I expected it to be pretty terrible, so I'm not exactly sitting here going "OMG GOTY!!"

That being said, I've had a big dumb smile on my face during my first four hours with it. The script is lacking the polished edge of the show's banter, but it's not betraying any of the characters, and is pleasant enough to keep the simple gameplay going. Combat is serviceable, if a little repetitive, but I quite like the whole phaser overclocking thing Dal has going on, and finding its sweet spot is keeping me awake, at least. Some of the puzzles have been pretty cool, too, and they're getting more elaborate now that I'm into the second half. The whole thing gives off strong LEGO vibes, but I mean that in a good way.

It's a shame that the opening cutscene is cheaply sketched and barely animated...

Untitled

...instead of rendered in-game, because the character models aren't terrible. There's a teensy bit of texture pop-in when returning to the Protostar, but that can be forgiven. Otherwise, for a budget game designed to run on Switch, things can look pretty pretty when they want to.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I've completed half of the levels, during which I've rescued Jankom Pog, Rok-Tahk and Zero. Just got Murf left to find, which I'm kinda excited about, as I love Murf. I've unlocked all of the weapons as well, and started on their various upgrades. I've been doing the Holodeck assignments as they've come up, and one of them (the first "Extra" mission) gave me a little trouble, so they're clearly designed for the post-story, once you've overpowered Dal and Gwyn. I'm also missing a lot of the time trial medals, which makes sense, as it's my first playthrough and I'm exploring for collectibles and whatnot.

So yeah, if you're a Progidy fan, get it. If you're a forgiving gamer who likes to play all sorts, get it when it's under twenty bucks, or play it when it's added to a service you subscribe to.

@Anti-Matter I don't know if you like Star Trek or not, but I reckon you'd enjoy this regardless!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger good to read your thoughts on the Prodigy game! I will play it after I've gotten around to watching the show. Which will probably be in like 5 years at this rate. Hopefully the game has reduced in price to 2p at that point! 😀

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny

Or it'll be free with PS Plus Extra Premium Deluxe Gold Standard Edition Premiere (or whatever they're calling the service by then) but yeah, honestly, I was surprised that it got a physical release. When my PS5 copy showed up, and I was holding the box in my hands, I still couldn't believe it. Not to speak ill of the game, but I can definitely see surplus stock rounding out one of Amazon's numerous sales someday.

Anywho, thanks for reading! Where are you up to with your trek through Trek nowadays?

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger it'll be a PlayStation Stars (Trek) reward.... (Sorry 😆)

We are doing poorly on the Trek front. After we watched SNW, we decided to return to TOS but having forgot where we were, it's been difficult. We decided to rewatch a few episodes we'd seen together that were either sequelised or important to later plot points before resuming roughly where we were before. But that was some time ago and she's tidied up the DVDs I pulled out to rewatch so now I don't know where I even am in that 😂

Sooo, we decided to start watching the MCU from the beginning (release order) mainly because the reappearance of Daredevil has given me a hankering to watch the first few seasons again. We just finished Captain America 1 and you know I love spreadsheets so I've created a spreadsheet to refer to that lists every single movie, TV episode, Web episode and questionably canonical promotional video in release order. There's almost 500 entries on it 😭

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Ba-dum-tssh!

Ah, fair enough. Understandable, too. The Original Series can be tough to get through, especially if you get two or three of its wackier episodes in a row. The problem you've also got is that, with Strange New Worlds and various other ongoing Trek shows nowadays, you've no idea what threads, concepts or characters might get referenced or reprised, so you can't get picky.

Good grief, though, best of luck with that MCU spreadsheet! Sounds epic, and props to your impressive organisational skills there, too! At least that's comparatively modern, so should be easier to digest.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger I'd do one for Trek but it's a lot easier to work Trek out I think, in terms of timelines etc. I prefer Trek in chronological order instead of release order as well so that makes things easier.

It's not Gona be religiously anyway, I just made the sheet to refer to but we will watch other stuff and swap back to Trek as and when. I think it will make it easier to get through by breaking things up a bit!

I noticed some interesting patterns when I was making the sheet too, years that had the most content released, years that had the least. 2020 went out with a whimper with no movies and only two TV releases of AoS season 7 Hellstrom S1 and that was basically the end of the TV side of the Infinity Saga.

How are you keeping anyway mate?

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Yeah, for the most part. I'd imagine chronological order gets tricky around the TNG, DS9 and Voyager era, but I'm sure somebody somewhere has already sorted out all the stardates. I think I've said to you before, I've folded the TNG movies into a DS9 re-watch, but never chopped and changed between individual episodes before. I think it'd be interesting to do with TNG and DS9 (given that they share a quadrant) but it's kinda unnecessary with Voyager, given its premise.

2020 was barren for a lot of franchises but yeah, the MCU in particular. It's funny because I'm a staunch supporter of the "we should have had a long break after Phase Three" camp, yet global events did indeed conspire to provide a break, albeit a slightly shorter one.

Um, yeah, I'm doing okay, I think. Good days and bad days, but as long as the former outnumber the latter, I shouldn't really complain! How about you? Everything going okay?

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger oh yeah, I am not sure but I don't think it's worth overlapping Voyager with DS9, at least not episode to episode. Maybe disc to disc or story arc to story arc but otherwise probably best not as they are fairly unrelated beyond the first few episodes. If I had to go episode to episode then I would just go in release order for that period of time. Hmmm, maybe I will make a spreadsheet at some point!!

Not bad over here, just ticking over really. I got some time off work at the moment. Does STO require PS Plus to play online? If not then I'd be up for having a run around in that if you are around at some point? (Daytime)

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Anti-Matter

@RogerRoger
Not sure if I have interest with Star Trek but
I will watch the gameplay of Star Trek Prodigy PS5 from YouTube.

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny There are some big moments, one in particular which sticks out, but they come much later, and even a season-by-season alternating schedule would cover them perfectly. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to make such a spreadsheet, so definitely check Google first!

Apparently no, Star Trek Online doesn't require PS Plus, because it's free-to-play. I can make some time for a roam, sure! Wednesday or Thursday would suit me best, if that's okay?

@Anti-Matter Yeah, I wasn't sure about the wider franchise, but the animated Star Trek: Prodigy show (and therefore this game) could hold some appeal, I reckon. Each to their own, though!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger is it the EMH stuff? I seem to remember the EMH appearing in DS9, maybe it was around the time they wanted to use Bashir as the model for the new EMH. oh wait the EMH was in First contact (I think) maybe that's what I'm remembering. I think you've hit the nail on the head with season by season. Definitely the way to watch it!

Wednesday is best for me if that's cool, don't think I can do Thursday. Will shoot you a message on PSN Wednesday morning-ish. I'll try and make sure I have the game updated by then!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny No, it's not the EMH. I won't explain what it is, as it's a detail I often forget about when thinking about the show as a whole, and yet it provides a brilliant scene when it happens, and then gets a superb follow-up episode down the line, too. Definitely something to look forward to!

Speaking of Voyager, this made me laugh out loud when I discovered it earlier.

Untitled

It's like, you've got 172 episodes to pick from, and that's the one you reference?! Kate Mulgrew's narration is superb; she just awkwardly mumbles, "I... would rather not explain this one."

Was laughing so much, I nearly didn't notice the erroneous B button prompt. Well played, Supernova.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Do any of the clocks read "11.59" by any chance? That would be another fun homage to an absolute stinker of an episode!

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Alas, no (although unlike "Threshold", which totally deserves its reputation, I adore "11:59").

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 And why do I sense that you're asking a rhetorical question?

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger 🤣. Do you think "Threshold" is the worst or do you think that special honour belongs to "Spirit Folk" or perhaps the episode that forever turned Janeway into a cold blooded murderer, the lamentable "Tuvix"?

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 "Spirit Folk" is harmless. It's a self-contained load of nonsense (par for the course when dealing with holodeck episodes, more often than not) which plays by the rules. Is it my favourite episode? No. Do I think the great "Fair Haven" deserved a better sequel? You bet I do. Do I skip it? Of course not.

I'm convinced that "Tuvix" was an all-time great at some point in its journey from script to screen. Maybe there are some deleted scenes we don't know about, or maybe its message got lost in the edit. Either way, it's still recognisable as Star Trek for the majority of its runtime.

"Threshold" is just bad on every level. The science is stupid, its Treknology is warped (if you'll pardon the pun) and the ending is cringeworthy. I do respect for Robert Duncan McNeill for trying his best with it, though, as well as everybody else who managed to keep a straight face whilst filming, but crikey. Every show has its fair share of stinkers, but "Threshold" almost out-stinks the lot of 'em.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic