Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 2,201 to 2,220 of 2,224

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 thing is with Kurtzman every once in a while he does get something right and when he does then it's great but it's so rare it's odds are like finding a bar of gold in the middle of the path

it's like he has flashes or talent that don't last very long

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

LN78

@FullbringIchigo I know Red Letter Media aren't to everyone's taste, but their 90+ minute Plinkett Review/complete savaging of "Picard" has just come out if you're interested.

LN78

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 i'll give it a look, i think it's a good idea to see both the positive and negative reactions, it helps you make informed decisions

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

LN78

@FullbringIchigo I just watched the "in conclusion" chapter and it pretty much summed up the entire "Kurtzman Trek" experience in a couple of minutes. I'll watch the whole thing at the weekend.

LN78

FullbringIchigo

So i finally got round to picking this up, it's basically a re-release of the old Star Trek Fact Files from back in the day

Untitled

it also has some pics of the ships

Untitled

Untitled

and apparently the "Discoprise" is a temporary refit

Untitled

FullbringIchigo

also this is still awesome

LN78

@FullbringIchigo Have you seen "What We Left Behind" the "DS9" documentary? It's really good and the scenes from the show that they have remastered into HD look fantastic. I love that show so much - definitely my favourite. I went straight from the doc to watching "Children of Time" - what an all time classic that episode is!

LN78

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 yes i have seen it and the remastering was awesome shame it will never happen because VCBS say it's too expensive which too be fair given how much would need to be done and the hours of the series there is i wouldn't be surprised if it was very expensive

LN78

@FullbringIchigo It's down to the fact that all the CGI was rendered at an extremely low resolution - the broadcast standard (around 480i in NTSC) at the time allowed them to get away with it without it looking too bad. Basically to do a TOS/TNG style complete remaster would mean re-rendering pretty much every effects shot in the series and that ain't happening - it would cost a fortune. Such a shame.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

nessisonett

Actual Star Trek news! Strange New Worlds sounds rather interesting and there’s a Nickelodeon show for the kids that could be a great way to indoctrinate your children and force them to enjoy Next Generation with you.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett
Untitled

I saw the trailer and don't mind admitting that I chuckled more than once.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Jokes aside, it could be a good way to get younger viewers invested in Trek, which is always welcome. And it’s the Trollhunters showrunners so it could always go down a more Clone Wars route than a strict kids show.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Yeah, I've always been for a bit of diversification. I got into TNG as a single-digit kid, but then I was a boring 90s kid who didn't have access to any Fortnights or MyFace. I think the younger generation today is way more in tune with a lot of the messages in traditional Trek, so anything that provides them access to that is welcome in my book.

And besides, me having grown up into a thirty-something manchild means I could go for a fart gag in a cartoon every now and again. Best of both worlds!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@nessisonett They are just throwing stuff at the walls and hoping that something sticks at this point. Apparently none of these shows have financial participation or international distribution deals from either Netflix or Amazon which is a fair indication of a what a poisoned well the entire "Trek" brand has become.

LN78

LN78

@nessisonett @RogerRoger So I've been hearing and reading mixed things about "Lower Decks" - from what I can gather, it's simultaneously the best Kurtzman era "Trek" product so far (low bar,I know) and an extremely run of the mill animated sitcom with references aplenty but very little actual wit.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Same here. I haven't read reviews from too many mainstream critics, but fan sites are being very positive about it, apparently because it's stuffed with in-jokes and references from 90s Trek in particular (and most people running Trek fan sites grew up in that era).

I saw its opening scene (embedded below) and smiled at the general tone, but didn't laugh.

Am curiously hopeful, or hopefully curious. Should it eventually pop up on a service I have access to, I'll give it a look-see, but I'm in no major rush.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Christopher Eccleston’s recording 12 new 9th Doctor audio stories for Big Finish. Brilliant!

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Ah yes, I forgot about that catchphrase!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic