Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,801 to 1,820 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

and with that the rumour mill surrounding the upcoming special has already started

Untitled

of course seeing Micky back would be awesome

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Tennant too I reckon.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON you know if they used the Meta Doctor they could bring Tennant back as a full time companion if they wanted too

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ they could yeah. Probably won't though.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

so Star Trek Picard and....emm

they just can't let characters be happy anymore on TV can they

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I forgot to watch it. Might give it a go later.

Is it bad?

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 oh don't get me wrong it was a pretty good episode but they just had to add another bit of baggage to a character

for some reason CBS has decided that Trek needs to be edgy and dark now a days and so it just ends up being another show that is trying to ape Game of Thrones

not that Trek can't be edy and dark if it wants to be, i think Trek is one of those shows that can work in may genres, Action, Comedy, gritty etc etc but not EVERY version of the show has to be, that's one of the great things about the old shows being episodic, you got hard hitting drama, you got action, you got laughter because each episode stood on it's own unlike the new "serialise" ones such as Discovery and Picard where it carries one theme through multiple episodes and to be honest it starts to get on you, if you get my meaning

i can't wait until that GoT starts to fade from popularity and companies realise that they can make a show in whatever style they want

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON no it's a good one. it just adds more baggage to a character that did 't need it

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 yeah a DS9 style would be great, it got dark at times and hard hitting but it worked a lot better there then it is now

like you said it's the quality of the writing, like New Who

KALofKRYPTON

Watched this week's. Yeah... Largely an exposition-filler episode, but alright enough.
But as previously mentioned, as if his general demeanour and attitude was too subtle, of course Rios needed some ham-fisted personal tragedy that just so happens to connect to the central plot too!
This is Lucas writing Yoda>Dooku>Qui Gon>Obi Wan>Anakin levels of contrivance. πŸ™„

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 Yep. An attempt at maintaining mysterious tension. Which doesn't work all that well and really does serve to reinforce the levels of cognitive dissonance of most of the characters.
And of course, episode 8 of 10 character development πŸ™„πŸ˜‚

... And an 'oh you're alright really' character redemption πŸ˜‚

FullbringIchigo

i would so love to go on one of those Trek cruises but i could never afford anything like that

nice to see the crew together though hey @RogerRoger

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON what did you think about what Seven did in becoming a Borg Queen for the Cube even though it didn't work and do you think that it will play a part in the ending?

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Aww, that shot is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I haven't bothered with Picard this week. My partner and I were all set to watch it, but we're also re-watching the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who (because neither of us ever saw it through to the end) and the thought of coming away from such an inventive, upbeat, diverse adventure to something so downtrodden and morose stopped us in our tracks. At this rate, we'll probably just binge the finale once it's all out there, or once we've run out of nice things to watch.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

So it's been a while since we posed a question about Trek so i thought as Star Trek Picard is the current running show that i'll post one about it

What do you think of the ship designs used in Picard, from old designs to new ones we have seen quite a few ships, the La Sirena, a Borg Cub, several Romulan ships and even Federation Ships during flashbacks but what do you think about them, any you like, any you dislike

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo I really like the Borg Cube and it looks like an extension of what was probably intended originally except unhampered by the VFX. The other ships just feel a bit too Star Wars to be honest, not really Trek at all.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Didn't think much of it if I'm honest.
The show is collapsing under the weight of its own stifling moroseness - and adding yet more of the same just feels... Meh.

As for the ship design, well it obviously peaked with the recreation of the D. And the Sovereign Class(?) iconography on Rois' box.

Not a fan of the ship design in general though. It's all bit generic sci-fi shmup.

The Romulan ships are especially awful following on from the incredible Valdore types in Nemesis.

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett i can see that especially with the Romulan Ships although those Federation ships do still feel Trek to me, ships like that have been seen in Trek before such as the Ganges and Intrepid Class ships of the 22nd century

Untitled

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON the Romulan ships in Nemesis were amazing

KALofKRYPTON

Quick correction on my previous comment: The Ibn Majid isn't a Sovereign. Just seen a closer look at the ident on Rios's lock box. Looks more like it'll follow the Discovery design language for the non Crosfield ships; which might actually make more sense now! πŸ˜‚ .

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic