Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 581 to 600 of 2,131

Th3solution

@nessisonett Ah well. I might have messed myself up then. I have done quite a mixture of approaches to the enemies, just trying out all the options. So I’m not sure how that will affect my outcome. I’m not sure how important XP is, but it appears to only be granted when you actual fight and win, and not when you spare. So it seems to take a large commitment since one will be still at level 1 at the end if they try to avoid all combat. Not sure how this will affect how frustrating and game conflicts will be. And now I’m sort of caught in no-man’s land between the pacifist and hostile approaches and so I guess I’ll see how it works out. I’m not starting over now

@RogerRoger yeah, I plan to keep it up for a little longer. Having only just met the famous characters I’ve heard so much about, I feel like I need to give them a chance to win me over. Because yeah, the bullet-hell stuff is not my cup o’ tea. I do think it’s interesting how the bullet dodging changes for each enemy and even varies within that enemy’s turns. I just got a new weapon and the attack mechanic changed with this new weapon, so the variety is nice.

Also, it’s been a long time since I played a game with random unseen / unavoidable encounters. Your having just finished FF7 maybe has you more acquainted with it, but I’m having a hard time getting my brain to enjoy that playstyle again. I think there’s a reason games abandoned that mechanic. Nothing more frustrating than being one step away from a switch or door and having to stop to have another battle.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution You’ll be fine on this current route but be warned that characters may not be too happy with you. I don’t think I could ever go back and do a neutral route after seeing what the pacifist route was like to be honest.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yeah, the variety is interesting, but it's also my biggest problem, I think. If dodging attacks featured a narrow set of variables, I would inevitably start to "git gud" after a couple of encounters but thusfar, I don't think I've faced the same enemy twice, so I'm always being caught off-guard by these new and ridiculous ways to chase my heart around the box. I feel like this is something that I shouldn't be complaining about, but it's introduced an element of panic which I'm not 100% comfortable with.

And yeah, I'm just as allergic to random encounters as you are. Which is why I played FFVII on PS4, so that I could activate the port's helpful "disable random encounters" feature. And which unfortunately means that I'm finding Undertale equally as frustrating!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Okey dokey people, the goal this week is to beat SPOILER at the end of Waterfall! Hopefully that’ll be a decent enough goal to set but as always, feel free to do less or more depending on your schedule.

nessisonett

Currently being melted by a dog in Snowdin. Stupid dog. I forgot how hard this game could be.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Is that the armoured dog, after all the snow poffs? Or the pair of dog sentries?

I take it you're not going for a pacifist playthrough, then?

Got myself to the milestone earlier in the week, but I'm gonna play a little more later, if I can. The game is walking a fine tightrope with me; everything that makes me smile is followed up by something that makes me wrinkle my nose. It's more positive than not, but the humour is starting to become predictably unpredictable, and what's expected of me to survive some attacks (particularly boss attacks) is insultingly unreasonable. I can't get anywhere if I'm spending every turn healing!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Blooper987

@RogerRoger I think all your problems should start getting solved pretty soon. After waterfall the game really kicks into gear in my opinion.

nessisonett

@RogerRoger The big one in armour, I am doing a pacifist run but I get destroyed by its attacks while I’m trying to placate it. If you reached the milestone does that mean you’re onto Hotland?

RogerRoger

@Blooper987 Looking forward to it, then! Thanks!

@nessisonett Ah, yeah. I thankfully figured him out pretty quick, but it was a bit of luck. The others, the pair of sentries, gave me a bigger headache.

And yep, the save point right after giving Undyne a cup of water is where I left off.

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I've seen a lot of people struggle with that boss in particular @RogerRoger so congrats on figuring out just what exactly you needed to do.

-Edit- Also forgot mention that I like your christmas themed Sonic avatar!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The game does have an oddball grasp on logic, but at least it has a grasp. Most times I've figured something out, it's been accompanied by me exclaiming "Of course!" and for the dogs, I just found myself having to think a bit like a dog. Thankfully, I love dogs!

And cheers! Wore him a couple years back, but forgot to last year. He's makin' up for lost time!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah it is rather oddball isn't it? There is a certain charm there I can't deny.

Did you find the hidden vilage inside the waterfall area?

I actually ended up enjoying deltarune a bit more then Undertale myself... Might've partially been because Undertale was the first and only time I ever tried gaming on a PC @RogerRoger 😅

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Deltarune was actually really great, I played it in one go a couple of minutes after it dropped on PC. It was kinda refreshing playing a game without all the information you normally hear about a new game that releases.

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Hmm. I've found a couple of hidden areas thusfar, but not 100% whether I found an entire village in the Waterfall area. Is it worth going back to explore for?

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I don't think so @RogerRoger? ... I think it's more of a joke area Rog but it's been ages so I don't quite recall if Temmie Village has something there that's worthwhile 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The armour you get there is the only reason I beat the game the first time!

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @nessisonett Oh, definitely missed it, then!

Had to stop playing earlier, as a particular pair of enemies touched a personal nerve, but I reckon I was within reaching distance of the endgame. I've only got one trophy left, which I assume is "finish" and then I'll have the platinum. I'm through quite a chunk of the Hotlands, having tangled with that ridiculous TV-lovin' robot three times already. Must've gotten into a groove, because the bullet-hell gameplay started to click a little better; either that, or the tougher enemies were conveniently placed just after save points, meaning I could go back and regenerate HP without sacrificing my well-stocked inventory of healing items. Anyway, might be done tomorrow!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yeah, the next checkpoint is essentially ‘finish the game’ to be honest. Are you currently on a pacifist run or have you killed anyone? It’s just that there’s a whole other area if you’re on a pacifist run. And the true ending makes so much more sense than the normal ending.

Edited on by nessisonett

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I've managed to stay pacifist the entire time. I even reloaded a save to make sure because, by being a distracted mess, I inadvertently disarmed two of the bombs in the third boss fight by attacking them, before I noticed that there was a combat-free "Disarm" action elsewhere. I didn't know whether the game was tracking actual kills, or just aggressive intent.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Good to hear, it saves a lot of time if you stick to pacifist although you might want to look up how to access the true pacifist route as I remember it being a bit of a pain to figure out without a guide. It’s absolutely worth it though, one of the best true endings in these sorts of games.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic