Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 601 to 620 of 2,131

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Thanks for the tip! Will duplicate my save then, make sure I've got the freedom to explore and figure things out before I finish the story.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@nessisonett How are you getting along with it? Sorry, forgot to ask.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger You shouldn’t need to duplicate your save as it continues post-game just before the final boss and one of the requirements is to beat the game anyway!

I’m enjoying myself, it’s a good game to replay as you can spot all the little hints towards plot points later on and the jokes all stick. I’m in Waterfall now so shouldn’t be too far behind!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Oh, sweet. Wasn't expecting any post-game content at all. Good to know, thanks!

Yeah, I can see myself picking it up again in a couple years, partly as a refresher and partly to pick up on any details I might've missed. It being quite short helps it, I reckon. If I really am near the end, then (assuming I'm not about to get stuck in an impossible boss fight) it's been an ideal length.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

I’ve made it to Waterfall and past the fight with Papyrus, which was a little tough. Had to burn through about 4 recovery items

I definitely think the second portion in the Snow area was better than the first Ruins area. The writing is still probably a little too quirky for my taste but it’s gotten better (that or I’m getting more accustomed to the off-the-wall humor). I’m still not hugely engaged with the game overall, so I’ll not make any guarantees that I’ll complete it. It’ll have to be a mood thing. I figure I’m about halfway? since the trophy that just popped is titled “Midway”

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yeah, the writing becomes "predictably unpredictable" after a while, and your tolerance for its overt cuteness might increase, but it's definitely aiming for a particular style (one that appeals to a certain section of internet fandom).

That trophy you just got is probably a geographic midpoint, as there are four distinct areas that comprise the map, and you've cleared two. The final area is taking me much longer to play through, though, so I reckon you're about a third of the way to completing the game, in terms of time spent. It'll either have clicked enough for you to continue, or you'll reach a certain point and just hit your limit. I'm curious to see what'll happen for you, but don't push things!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Well, that's me done... kinda.

Made it through the Core, defeated Asgore, spared him, faced Flowey and survived his final form, which I wanna call "ClipArt Flowey" for some reason. Got kicked back to my previous save, with hints to help me play out the true ending. Made friends with Undyne. Got her and Alphys together. Stepped down into a creepy basement and got killed by a sink ghost, but gathered enough details beforehand to make an educated guess as to the truth of the situation. Left it there.

I'm impressed by how the game just keeps itself going. Every time you think you're about to complete it, more tasks or hints get thrown at you, and you're off on another quest, or to meet another character, or to face another combat sequence. That being said, I haven't connected enough with the world and its inhabitants to be entirely enthralled, and I started to feel a little "get on with it" earlier.

I did connect with it enough to enjoy myself, though, way more than I expected to. Not that such things should matter, but its visual style isn't something I find personally appealing, and it had to work hard to overcome my prejudice towards its deliberate retro feel. Whilst its music is also superb in places, it's also forgettable in a lot of others. I'm having a lot of fun finding fan remixes of certain hummable tracks (seriously, the sprawling fandom this game has inspired totally outweighs the short, simplistic experience of actually completing a playthrough) which help elevate the potential of some tunes.

I'm sure a lot of Undertale will stick with me. It kinda feels like one of those movies you go see at the cinema, thoroughly enjoy, rave about to anybody who'll listen, but then never wanna watch again. Its humour is infectious (in both good and bad ways) and its core message is a noble one, and I gather playing it again differently can be highly rewarding, but... heck, I dunno, there's just something about it which prevented me from falling totally in love. Maybe that's my own perspectives at play, maybe it didn't do anything intrinsically wrong. I can certainly understand some of the devotion it's generated.

Of course, had the entire game been about Papyrus, then it'd be a 10/10. No question.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

That’s me onto The Core now in Undertale, I should be done the normal route tomorrow. I quite like the bullet hell gameplay to be honest, although I play quite a bit of Touhou and similar games so I have experience.

@RogerRoger Do you think you’ll finish off the Lab? The true final boss is an interesting one although I do recall it being rather hard!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Yeah, I can imagine for fans of bullet-hell gameplay, this'd be something special. It was the variation that did me in, I reckon. ClipArt Flowey was obviously taking the pee-pee, which is why it was filled with split-second autosaves, but I actually found some of the earlier boss battles tougher. I had to backtrack to Snowdin and stock up on healing items before I could survive Asgore, but it was Mettaton's final form that gave me the biggest headache. His attacks were all different and all hard!

Not sure whether I'll finish the true ending, or just look it up (because the game gave me its platinum before I'd even reached the penultimate boss, modern gaming sensibilities are making me question what the entire point of further struggle would be, alas). I'll definitely give it a shot but, if it's too hard, I'll have little motivation to push myself. You saying it's a tough boss makes me nervous!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Never mind, I forgot you literally can’t die in it, like Toriel’s fight 😂😂

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Ah, phew! Well then, if I can beat this sink ghost, I'll press on! Thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Alrighty then, we’ll probably finish up Undertale this week, and it’s Christmas anyway so I wouldn’t want to start another game until next week.

That means next Monday we’ll get underway with Devil May Cry V! Whether that’s the original version or Special Edition, that’s up to you.

@ralphdibny @phil_j @crimsontadpoles @Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder @ralphdibny @Th3solution @Thrillho @mookysam @LieutenantFatman @LobsterJohnson @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Tjuz @Kidfried @Octane @Trisque @Col_McCafferty

ralphdibny

@nessisonett cheers for the tag! I think I'll sit dmc5 out because I've only ever played about half of 4 and I put all my eggs in the God of War basket in terms of game series to play from the beginning this month, hopefully Feb's game will be something I can join in on! Cheers anyway!!

See ya!

phil_j

@nessisonett Tempted by this one. If the SE is in the sale tomorrow, I'm in for sure.

phil_j

RogerRoger

Just before everybody gets underway with Devil May Cry V tomorrow (and best of luck with it; hope you all enjoy!) I'm curious as to whether @Th3solution ever managed to finish Undertale, or did it become a necessary victim of the holidays?

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Thanks for the inquiry. And, well, although I’ve not completely given up hope on the game, I certainly haven’t made any more substantial progress. There is definitely a factor of the holiday season throwing in some randomness. I’ll probably not get back into it unless I have a change of heart though.

I am curious about DMC5, and if I didn’t have other games going and my big backlog, then I’d have joined in just out of curiosity of the game and it’s beloved series. But since I’m going to pass on DMC5 for now, I’ll drop an update somewhere if I do end up getting back to Undertale.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Thanks for the reminder, apparently today’s Sunday and therefore tomorrow’s Monday. Time seems to enter some strange state during the festive period 😂

RogerRoger

@Th3solution No worries, and fair enough. I kinda figured. Even without it being that special time of year, where anything half-hearted is easily discarded, I didn't think you'd see it through; no reflection on your good self, of course, but more on how the game simply wasn't clicking with you. Life's too short. Stick with the stuff that grabs you... and hey, third time's the charm, right? So it'll be there as and when.

@nessisonett For the past fortnight, given how upside-down my life has been, I've answered anybody asking me what day it is with "it's the one that ends in a Y". Best I could manage!

Making It So Since 1987

KidRyan

I will have to pass on DMC 5 since I still need to beat 2-4, but hope everyone has fun!

As for Undertale I plan to replay that on Switch due to the exclusive content, but I may play the PS4 version when I run out of stuff to do.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic