Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 561 to 580 of 2,131

HallowMoonshadow

Little late on the congratulations @Th3solution but well done on beating the Resident Evil 2 Remake!

The PS1 version is one my favourite games so I'm glad to see that the magic's still there in the remake and can enrapture a whole new bunch of fans.

It's been really fun reading your thoughts regarding it through the month (Esoecially with being busy and eventually having to sit it out) and hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of the journey with the next few Resi games too!

I believe there's still some stuff you can unlock in Resi 2 as well if it works like the original?

There's the H.U.N.K scenario (He's one of the umbrella mercenaries whom took the G virus from Birkin) which is quite hard and then the Tofu mode... Which is similar to the hunk mode I believe but you play as giant piece of Tofu .

The Ghost Survivor scenarios are completely new to the remake though.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

LieutenantFatman

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Yep, there certainly is! It's great fun, I'll post a video of my run. For anyone who's bested scenario A and B in Resident Evil 2, and fancies a friendly challenge, feel free to try and better my time on the below. Spoilers if you haven't finished those scenarios.

Time: 10:37
Good luck!

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

RogerRoger

@mookysam I assume that everybody is gay until I'm told or shown otherwise, but I just assumed I do it because it's my normal. That being said, both Ada and Claire are, um... "impressive characters" (that's the most polite I can put it, I think) so I can't blame Leon for having his head turned!

@Th3solution Blimey, that's very different! And a lot more detailed. Whilst it's never revealed who Ada is working for in the original, I'd just assumed it was the FBI, the CIA, the NSA or other semi-respectable "official" agency (mainly because the Birkins were such loose cannons). I hadn't even considered that she might be a mercenary. I love it when a story gives you enough information to form your own conclusions, but withholds a definitive answer. Thanks for letting me know how it pans out, and for making me check my assumptions!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah cool, huh? Now to be frank, it does leave the window open a little as to whether it’s true that she’s a mercenary or not. That’s what Annette says. When Leon confronts Ada, she just regrettably pulls her gun on him, saying “Why are you making me do this the hard way?” Which to me is an admission of guilt, but if I really analyze the situation, it might not be true. Perhaps Annette was lying. The whole thing happens quickly while the lab is collapsing all around them and so I’m not sure we know for sure. Ada did not outright deny the allegation though. I assume in RE4 (?) or another future installment that perhaps it will come to light exactly who Ada has been working for. Since she’s a fan favorite, maybe it’s some other rogue group with virtuous intent rather than a government agency or a nefarious operation who wants to make money off the virus. It’s semi-open ended I think in that regard. But I do feel like she was lying about being FBI.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution This is where I just say ‘please play RE4’ and say no more!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett 😂 I know; I really need to do that! It’s just I never knew RE had such an interesting story hidden behind all that horror and gore.

So anyways... Undertale. 😅
Didn’t get a chance to play any today, due to a crazy work schedule. Hopefully tomorrow.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yeah, I never trusted Ada from the beginning anyway (which makes it all the more curious that I mentally connected her with government agencies, rather than suspecting her of being a mercenary or generally up to no good, thinking about it) so even if she outright said something, I'd be sceptical until I was shown some sort of proof.

Resi 4 is one I've considered before, seeing as it's more action-based. Best of luck!

I got undertale with Underway yesterday, but only briefly.

Will be able to settle down and play more of it later this evening, with any luck. It makes a good first impression, but I'd seen its opening thirty minutes via YouTube already, so there were a couple moments where I felt I was "skipping ahead" and would've needed to stop and think a little more, had I not been equipped with some foreknowledge. Some of the puzzle solutions would've been difficult in their simplicity, if that makes sense!

It's all very charming, though. Despite its deliberate retro style (which isn't usually my thing) I was quite drawn in by the characters I encountered, and the overall sense of humour.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger If four years of Media Studies at school taught me anything it was how to look out for homoerotic subtext. That and I have an, er, active imagination.

@Ralizah I guess it’s entirely possible for two straight men to fall in love. Whether it’s that or not, their bond is rather tight.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

I started Undertale tonight (finally free from studies) and I forgot just how great those opening couple of hours were. The ruins are a great little story just taken out of context but it makes even more sense once you get a bit further on!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Congratulations on achieving study freedom! Yeah, I found it a little addictive earlier in the week, and progressed a lot further than the milestone, so I've been taking a break from it these past couple of days. It's... well, let's just go with, "Oh no!! It's meeting all my standards!!"

Although I absolutely suck at the bullet-hell combat gameplay. Have died four or five times thusfar.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yeah, I noticed I’m particularly bad at the Vita version’s bullet hell stuff. I’m intrigued to see how they handle certain events which used the capabilities of a PC to its full advantage. It’ll be interesting to see how well it translates.

Thrillho

@RogerRoger @nessisonett As I said before, I played on my MacBook and those sections were a nightmare using the trackpad as I don’t have a mouse.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho I think I used the keyboard when I played on PC!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett @Thrillho Am I right in thinking that combat doesn't require the bullet-hell gameplay, and is just a timing-based slider thing? Because I'm going full pacifist, and want to maintain full pacifist, but if killing is easier I could be tempted to the Dark Side.

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I think you still have to dodge attacks regardless @RogerRoger If I recall correctly!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yep, @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy is correct. Whenever you take any action, the bullet hell mechanic is there when you’re dodging their attack. I actually forgot just how creative some of the attacks were. Also, I’d recommend going pacifist your first time through and then if you can stomach playing the game again and killing everyone then you’re a monster 😂😂

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @nessisonett Oh, good (he groaned sarcastically). I've already eaten my way through all of the monster candy I stole from the shrine!

I'm sure I'll get better at it, the more I play. Should carry on this afternoon.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

So I made it through the ruins defeated the boss and met Sans and Papyrus
I gotta say... I’m still not feelin’ it. I’ve got the hang of the quirkiness of the system a little more, the way combat is so weird and the game is not very clear as to what all these different options are that you can take during a conflict. Sometimes when I try to act nice and just talk or compliment and enemy, I end up still having to do the dodging thingy in the box and taking damage. I guess that’s the point, learning which enemies are more amenable to talking out of a fight. I’m finding it easier to just fight and battle everyone because at least I know that I’ll be able to end the bullet dodging stuff after a couple turns if I just kill them.

The writing and the setting are interesting and charming, I guess. I can see where they are going with the whole humans and monsters thing and taking a philosophical approach to slaying monsters. I was sad to have to kill Toriel at the end of the ruins. She seemed lonely. I couldn’t figure any way to progress the game without killing her though.

nessisonett

@Th3solution Oh dear. There’s a way to avoid that but it’s not clear and obvious. If you keep sparing her, she says different things until eventually the fight ends. You can’t die in that fight anyway.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I was about to ask whether you were "getting" it a little better this time around, but I'm sorry to hear that you're still struggling to connect. I do agree that trying to play as a pacifist leads to serious confusion. I've doubted myself a couple of times, thinking that I've trapped myself in a dead end or repetitive cycle for no reason, only to stumble across the solution.

The bullet-hell gameplay is my biggest fault against the game. For something which provides so many options and spends so long adding quirky detail, forcing to you play a reaction-based minigame every five minutes seems counterproductive to me... but then I don't mind walking simulators, and many do.

Do you think you'll persevere? No shame in leaving it, especially after giving it a second chance.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic