Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 401 to 420 of 2,131

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Sounds a bit like the story of my life! šŸ˜‚

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@ralphdibny Whoah, that sounds like a missed opportunity given the suboptimal control scheme. Iā€™ve not adopted VR yet due to concern about the motion sickness; Iā€™m fairly sensitive to it. I do think it will get better, ā€œitā€ being VR frame rate, controls and playability. DOOM is a great game to make into VR though, so hopefully your body acclimates to the system. Gyro aiming seems like it would have been an easy implementation. Ah well, hang in there and slay some demons!

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

LieutenantFatman

@JohnnyShoulder

Resi 3 has the same deal. Spiders in the original version but not in the remake. There is an area in the remake with some nasty bugs called the Drain Deimos, that's as close as it gets though.

@WaveWitch

Personally I really enjoyed the remake of Resident Evil 3. It's shorter than RE2 remake though and of course just the one character to play as, and no cool extra content at the end, so it doesn't get raved about anywhere near as much. But I'd say it's definitely well worth playing.

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

ralphdibny

@Th3solution cheers will do! To be fair some people are completely ok with VR so it might be worth a try. Personally I'm only OK with the kind of static games like the gangster demo, I have blood and truth by the same developers too but haven't tried it yet. I bought it originally for the Star Trek game on it (with an eye to try other titles).

See ya!

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Nice thoughts on the game. Iā€™ve still yet to actually try any sort of VR on console or PC as I donā€™t really know many gamers and could never justify getting it for myself.

Is it still as manic as the main games? I think even people who normally cope alright might feel a bit queasy if so!

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, thanks for the thought, but when I was forced to quit the original Resi for similar reasons I did some research (because I'd purchased the entire PSone trilogy in a sale) and there are spiders all over the freakin' place. But the games are important parts of gaming history, so I'll play them as far as I'm able. If the other parts of the remake are as faithful as I've heard, then I'll at least get to ride out the story by following along with you folks!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Might be worth giving the remakes a go, at least 2 and 3, seeing as they are spider-less.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

phil_j

Now we're back in third person terroritoy, I think I'll join back in with this one; if I grab the Uncharted 2 platinum in time.

I've done RE2 before, but want to do some of the platinum runs. Great game, any first timers are in for a treat.

phil_j

ralphdibny

@Thrillho nah no where near as manic, it's a lot easier than Doom 2016 on a comparable difficulty setting. It still has all the flavour of the big gore nest fights but nothing overwhelming on Hurt Me Plenty. Also big falls from ledges can be mitigated by warping to points you can stand on, so while there's no major platforming segments, if you fall, you can generally warp yourself to safety if you can twist your head to a nearby platform in time

See ya!

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I've seen some footage, enough to know that I wouldn't be comfortable. It's one thing when you're controlling a blocky cartoon character who's periodically attacked by low-res ketchup sprites, but it's quite another to be confronted by a game which frequently goes "Hey, look! We can render a man's internal organs in 4K now! Check 'em out!" Thanks all the same, though.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I don't have the PS4 REmake of Resident Evil 2 so I was actually thinking of maybe playing the PS1 version on the side only to see @RogerRoger had the same thought process!

You should(?) be fine til the sewer section from what I remember @RogerRoger regarding the spiders that'll eventually show up. I think once you're past that small section they don't show up again either unlike Resi 1 which actually has a spider boss pop up towards the end.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Col_McCafferty

So I've started it again but this time as Claire. In the police station looking for the medallions and storage keys and trying not to get too freaked out.

I'm playing it on Standard mode but really tempted to switch to Easy. I'm not the greatest at aiming so it would really be nice to be able to kill the buggers with one headshot!

I'll see how it goes.

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

Nowā€™s probably as good a time as any to set the first checkpoint!

This week, the goal is to collect the three medallions and open up the statue. Thereā€™s a save point conveniently in the statue which is a good area to stop for the week. As always, you can do a little less or a little more depending on circumstances but please join in the discussion reasonably and spoilers go in [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] without the leading space.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

Started Resident Evil 2 tonight. Second run with Leon on Hardcore!

Th3solution

Having a great time with RE2R so far! What a nice upgrade from Resident Evil 1 Remake. So many nice quality of life improvements and a good amount of polish to the game. The dialogue is still a little bit cheesy, but of course not nearly so much as the original games. Itā€™s pretty scary, but not too much for me yet.

I like the use of the flashlight to build tension in the dark. Really freaks me out when I hear something but canā€™t see it and dart around with my light looking for it.

Iā€™m playing Claire on Easy (I think itā€™s called ā€œAssistedā€ or something) and itā€™s not too hard this way. For me playing a first run, I want to be able to explore and enjoy the puzzles without the constant fear of dying or running out of ammo while I figure this out. I played the original back on PS1 a long time ago in another life, but the game is nicely done to bring back a few memories from the original. Like my distinct memory of the lickers making their first appearance and crawling on the ceiling and breaking through the windows in the hallway; and when you go down the representative hallway in this game, they fool you into thinking one will jump you because you can hear them crawling around and then you can pick up the note and read about them, but then they donā€™t show up like they did in the original yet the tension is still there, if not more so.

So I have 2/3 medallions already. Still havenā€™t found a weapon upgrade yet like a shotgun. I plan to still play some more tomorrow. (Itā€™s Halloween after all) I might push a little past the checkpoint since I typically run low on time during the week and need to make most of my gaming on the weekends lately.

Really looking forward to playing more.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Col_McCafferty

test, test

One medallion down, two to go. I've already progressed further than I did on my first playthrough anyway so that's progress.

Still wasting way too much ammo but that's part of the learning curve I guess!

Edited on by Col_McCafferty

Col_McCafferty

HallowMoonshadow

Oh I didn't know you'd actually played a bit of the ps1 classic @Th3solution!

Gotta be honest even in blocky polygonal PS1 graphics those buggers still throw me off! The lickers look especially unsettling in the REmake though.

I'll be playing as Claire myself and depending on how long it takes I might go for Leon's route too which should be fun (And be very different to you guys thanks to how the PS1 does the differing scenarios!).

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

I forgot how incredibly fun 2nd run was. You literally get free run of the police station at the very start which means I have the shotgun, 1 medallion and not enough space in my pockets to carry all the loot. Unfortunately hardcore difficulty is brutal af and I accidentally triggered the first appearance of you-know-who and my head a-splode. Back to the save room and roughly 20 minutes lost. Just like the good old days of the earlier games in the series šŸ˜‚

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah I had a childhood friend who talked me into playing RE2 with him back on PS1. Scared me pretty good back then. I never would have played it without the peer pressure.

Th3solution

Iā€™ve gone on and got all 3 medallions now and moved onto the next section. I just couldnā€™t help myself, the game is so good.
In the next area Iā€™ve met up with the little girl and defeated the crazy mutant guy with the big eye growing out of his shoulder. He scared the jeepers out of me, but it was a pretty fun boss fight. I ended up just loading him full of flame rounds from the launcher and tossed a couple grenades and he went down pretty quick with that.

Random observation and question for @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy and @RogerRoger ā€” I was wondering if the original game had the flirtatious relationship between Claire and Leon. I donā€™t remember it, but I was young and probably too freaked out to notice. Itā€™s just funny how in the middle of a zombie apocalypse Claire runs down when they meet up and seems to swoon over seeing Leon again, but maybe Iā€™m reading into it šŸ˜…

Edited on by Th3solution

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic