Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 381 to 400 of 2,131

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I've only just completed chapter 1 and it's a bit bonkers. Certainly doesn't take long to get going and already feels more supernatural than most Resi games.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Trust me, it gets absolutely bonkers by the end!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Oh yeah, I dont doubt this is only the tip of the iceberg!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

ralphdibny

@Th3solution I've been wondering what the hell guard bosses were and I've just looked them up and remembered them. Of course I was calling them Symbiote Golems when I fought them because I just seem to make up names for stuff 😅.

I actually quite enjoy FPS platforming like in the original Doom games (though it's rudimentary), Duke Nukem 3D, Half Life 2 etc. This game did kind of modernise it though with the mantling ledges action. I mentioned one of the classic levels levers earlier that you have to do the longest double jump ever to get too. It took me like 5 or 6 tries and reminded me of that final (or at least near to the end) level of Super Mario Bros where you have to run and jump, hit a small block and jump again to get to the end! I should say that platformer is my favourite genre though when I actually have time for it though I tend to stick to the well known ones like DK, Mario and Crash etc.

How did you get on with the challenges out of interest? I (think I) remember you mentioning you were going for some but how did you fair with the later level ones? Also did you try out any snapmaps at all?

Anyway good to read some more thoughts from you! cheers for the heads up on Resi as well but I'm looking at sort of <£5 in price on eBay because I'm a cheapskate. I'm keeping an eye out but they seem to be going for a little over a tenner at the moment. Plus it would be good for me to dedicate some time over the next month to making money instead of spending it 😅 so I'm not too fussed either way.

Gonna be attempting to boot up Doom VFR tomorrow so I'll post some thoughts on that when I've (or if I can) finish it!

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny As far as FPS platforming, i haven’t played many that were as crisp in execution as DOOM. But my FPS experience is more limited than most. Haven’t played Duke Nukem or Half Life. I played Titanfall 2 and Battlefront 2 recently, both were really good in their own way. The Titanfall platforming is pretty good with the wall-running mechanic, but it still didn’t quite feel as sharp and in-control as DOOM. Have you played Mirror’s Edge? Not a shooter but its whole shtick is first person platforming but to me it just never felt right - Like, kind of inexact. The other FPS I played a lot is Borderlands and BL2 and the platforming in that was kind of rubbish. When you jumped somewhere to get to a secret looking side area it felt like you were utilizing a design glitch. Like jumping and standing on a single polygon that made no relatable sense in any real world situation. All the FPS platforming and movement in these other games feels more ‘floaty’ in general, whereas DOOMguy feels like he has some weight to him, despite being very acrobatic.

As for the challenges, I did quite a few of them, probably about 70% maybe. Several levels I was able to get all 3. Some were really easy actually — like “Kill a [floating demon balloon guy, already forgot its name] with a chainsaw”. Most of the ones I missed were due to some ridiculous request like “kill a Baron of Hell with a death-from-above glory kill” Trying to do that just seemed to get me killed so I didn’t worry about it. I was a little ticked that I barely missed one of the last ones “kill 10 enemies with explosive barrels” just barely by finishing the level at 9/10 despite trying to focus on it the whole level.

As for SnapMaps, yes - I tried a few and they were decent. These I did were high recommended ones and they were solid, but not near the polish of the main game. And the loading times were just too long to spend much time in that mode for me. How about you? Play any of the extra content like DLC, MP, or SnapMaps?
And I’ll be looking forward to reading your experience with the VFR!

And I certainly understand the financial limitations on adding a new game. Maybe eBay will deliver though, but if not, playing more DOOM is certainly another fitting Halloween gaming activity! That aesthetic is creepy as Hell! (😂 See what I did there?)

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Just to confirm (and I think it's been said enough since your post, so I apologise for quadruple-checking) you're talking about the PS4 remake of Resi 2 here, right? Because I've got the PSone Classic on my PS3 and might've been tempted to try playing along, but there's no way I'd ever get the significantly-more-realistic-and-therefore-yucky modern version!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger That’s a good point actually, it could be interesting if you played the original alongside us playing the PS4 version! I’ve been tempted to play the original myself so would be cool to see the differences between the two games.

Ralizah

I stopped playing The Evil Within in the first chapter. The gameplay was just annoying, and I couldn't get into it. Only game I can recall stopping and selling that quickly. Usually I give games more of a chance, but that one just wasn't doing it for me.

Is it worth playing TEW2 if I didn't play the first one?

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I remember @kyleforrester87 saying that the second game blows the first one out the water. I really loved the first one as it was just all over the place, a complete mess with a nonsensical plot and janky gameplay but was oddly satisfying. The second one’s on Now so I’ll get to it soon!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Oh, okay! Cool. I'll do that, then.

Unfortunately, I'll be AFK on Friday and Saturday, so I'll let you folks get the ball rolling with the "proper" game and then dive in early next week with some comparative thoughts.

Also, I'll abandon it whenever I get to the giant spiders, so it'll only be early impressions.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@Th3solution ah yeah fair enough! I would agree that FPS platforming does feel clumsy in the games I mentioned. Almost like it's not supposed to be a thing but I think that's kind why I liked it, it was almost a pleasant surprise or bonus to the game. I'll have to look into that mirrors edge, I've never played it!

Yeah some of those challenges just seemed ridiculous to be honest! I loaded up snap maps mode but didn't end up choosing a level because I didn't really know what to choose lol 🤦🏻‍♂️

I actually started writing this reply earlier but started playing Doom VFR instead. After a stomach turning day, I've only managed to play 3 levels including the first one that kind of acts as a hub to take you to the rest of the levels. Looks like there is only 8 levels in total including that hub level (thank god).

I've only got two out of the three control methods for this game, DS4 and the move controllers. Move controllers are kind of good for immersion but the button layout sucks. The face buttons are in a square formation and dash up down left and right are mapped incoherently (to me at least). There's no buttons to turn with the move controllers, not even a Wii remote style dead zone. You can just look around with the headset and do a 180 turn with a button.

So I've ended up settling for the DS4 which has more movement options (standard on stick and dash on d pad with the ability to turn left and right on right stick) but still aims with the headset instead. I wish they just used the controller gyro to aim. Of course full movement means feeling sicker quicker so I sort of use the dash for exploration while turning as little as possible and using the map a lot to plan my route so I do as little movement as possible. Then for the big fights I just have to stomach twin stick movement with head aiming.

I've basically had to play in like ten minute intervals with like an hour break for my body to go back to normal too, it's hard work but I'm sort of hoping I'll get used to it. Overall the game is good though but the fact it shows a quasi view of the action on the TV makes me wish I could just play it without the headset. (You can't because of the headset aiming).

The classic levels are much easier to get in this game though as they unlock with the dolls instead of an obscure lever and it's quite novel to run around classic doom in VR.

I think what adds to the inverse motion sickness or whatever it's called is the frame rate which is naturally a bit chuggier because it's displaying on two tiny eye screens. This will make my stomach turn in a non VR game so it's a real detriment when it's an inch from my eyes. Also the graphics in general are a lot rougher around the edges than Doom 2016, again probably understandable when it's two tiny screens in a headset. I do wonder if there will be some sort of boost mode for VR titles on the PS5.

Overall I think the game would be improved if the controller was better and the graphics/frame rate was better. Just split the DS4 in half, put the buttons at the bottom and the sticks at the top, stick a glowing ball on the top and this would be miles better for this sort of game than either the DS4 and Move.

I know I sound harsh but I actually think this is a good game and my thoughts are probably more about the VR system in general and really more specifically how I personally handle it, which is not well.

Hopefully I have a better time with it tomorrow but while I hope, I don't have much expectations

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Thrillho I know I was Gona let you know how I get on with Doom Eternal but thought I'd give you a tag for my Doom VFR thoughts in the post above ^^^

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I don't think there are any spiders in the original RE2. There certainly wasn't any in the Remake when I did a Claire play through.

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah EW2 is a lot better than the first one (on a technical level and given the fact it actually makes some sense, although the weirdness of the first can be a positive too, the second feels a lot more generic in many respects, perhaps in the same way a Japanese horror movie feels when it’s remade in the West) but they do play similarly so if you gave up on EW1 so quickly you probably won’t like 2 for the same reasons. Not sure what the issue is though, they play just like a lot of other third person adventure games.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

LieutenantFatman

Original Resi 2 had spiders.
Remake 2 does NOT have spiders.

LieutenantFatman

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder I think you can turn off the borders in the settings on EW1 if you didn’t realise and don’t like them. They patched that in and sorted out the frame rate quite a while after launch, it was a bit of a mess from day 1. I bet boost mode helps it a lot as well if you have a pro.

Resi 2 remake is a blast, I did Leon and Claire back to back (ooeer)

If Resi 3 gets any cheaper I’m pulling the trigger.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@LieutenantFatman Ah, my mistake. Thanks for the correction! It has been many a year since I've played the original. Did they make a comeback for 3 Remake?

@kyleforrester87 Yeah I always have a fiddle with the options before I start a game, so turned off the borders and the film grain down slightly. I did almost give up with the chainsaw guy after you, but manage to get through eventually.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Chainsaw guy was a nightmare. Honestly, these sorts of games work best with the Game Club format because they have clearly defined checkpoints and people overcome challenges in different ways.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I have sort of gatecrashed game club! Whoops.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder No worries, this is the downtime before we start in a few days so you’re gatecrashing essentially nothing!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic