Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 421 to 440 of 2,131

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy First up, welcome back! Secondly, good to have a retro buddy on this one. I'll be starting the game tomorrow, but will hopefully be able to play catch-up and reach the designated group checkpoint. Thanks for reinforcing the spider situation, as well; perhaps if I'm hooked, I'll be able to get through the sewers. We'll see. When I was playing the original, they were the third discomfort in a short space of time, and tipped me over an edge. If they're only brief and I'm fine with everything else... well, like I say, no promises but we'll see. It'd be nice to stick with the group!

@Th3solution I shall be on the lookout for blocky, pixelated flirting when I get underway. If the dialogue is anywhere near as wooden as the original, I'm sure it won't be subtle!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Col_McCafferty

I'm making steady progress but really enjoying it. Jumped a number of times but that's to be expected lol.

Read some tips elsewhere on hampering zombies by shooting their legs. I seem to have more joy doing this then in aiming for their heads!

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

@Col_McCafferty Yeah, my general strategy is shoot their legs if they’re fast and shoot their heads if you have a shotgun as it’ll kill them in one shot.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

Got the last medallion... and then was immediately crushed to death. Hardcore difficulty is hardcore! Couldn’t play it on the lower difficulty again though, it’s way tenser and personally more fun with classic ink ribbons.

HallowMoonshadow

Out of all the things you could've been peer pressured into I'd say playing Resident Evil 2 is honestly not that bad all things considered (besides getting spooked a fair bit of course @Th3solution ).

I seem to recall a bit of flirting between Claire and Leon in the PS1 version.

I mean when you're the only two sane (and uninfected) people left in Racoon City ...

Thanks! Nice to be back @RogerRoger!

And yeah no worries if ya need to put it down rog. I know you don't like spiders in particular like myself (I can thankfully stomach most representations as long as they aren't super realistic).

Horror isn't typically my strong suit either though it's more first person stuff that puts me on edge or more supernatural elements. Resident Evil isn't all that spooky of a series to me (now at least) thankfully but it still can put me a little on edge!

I've only made it to the Police Station however. Not a lot of time today with lesson planning and a multitude of preperations thanks to the upcoming lockdown and yesterday I was visiting my in-laws.

I'm playing as Claire so after having been split from Leon thanks to the tanker/truck driver I made my way to the Kendo Gun shop, avoiding all the zombies before the kendo shop guy quickly got devoured by a number of undead whom burst through the windows.

He did leave me a gunbow at least...

Made it through the alleyways, the bus and found myself in the police station where I found the last survivor of the RPD (Besides Newbie Leon of course) whom gave me a key card before locking me out the room.

I've always really liked the setting of the police station (That you learn was a museum originally) and honestly I prefer it over the Spencer mansion (Though I do still quite like and appreciate the setting of the first too)

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ahh, I forgot the Raccoon City streets were more fleshed out in the original! I think I’ll probably play the original after completing the remake again, it should be interesting to see the differences and the similarities.

Col_McCafferty

Obtained all three medallions now. Once I go down is that it? I'm locked in that new area or can I go back up as there is still plenty of rooms left to explore.

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

@Col_McCafferty Not to spoil anything but yeah, there is more to be done in the police station at some point.

A slight change to this week’s checkpoint, I forgot there’s a certain story event directly after the three medallions so we’ll say that will be this week’s bare minimum checkpoint. Honestly though, we all seem to be tearing our way through it so if you want to keep going, go ahead.

Th3solution

@Col_McCafferty When you go down there, you’ll see a device that alludes to coming back to the police station later, but I figure it’s a long time later.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, same person got me pressured into Metal Gear Solid and Ratchet & Clank, so he’s definitely done me a service. Not unlike the Game Club and forum posters in helping nudge me along onto some gaming gems.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Col_McCafferty

Thanks guys, I shall head down and see what's what!

Col_McCafferty

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Well, considering that I've opted to play an "Arrange Game" playthrough, my vast array of special weapons with unlimited ammunition might be enough to carry me through. Had I started without Leon's neverending SMG, I might not have made it to the Police Station but, with it in hand, I've just reached the typewriter in the dark room. Nice to see an older game with such options!

I'm usually the same with horror; the wider the picture, the more comfortable I am. That's where the original started to lose me, when it started dropping snakes on my head out of nowhere.

Oh, and I'm sorry to tell @Th3solution that there's been zero chemistry between Leon and Claire thusfar, although I've only seen them share the opening cutscene. I couldn't detect any hints towards romance; to be honest, if Leon's seemed attracted to anything thusfar, I'd say it was the first Licker.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

RogerRoger wrote:

...there's been zero chemistry between Leon and Claire thusfar, although I've only seen them share the opening cutscene. I couldn't detect any hints towards romance; to be honest, if Leon's seemed attracted to anything thusfar, I'd say it was the first Licker.

😂

@RogerRoger

Yeah, I think that’s how I remembered it back on the PS1. I actually went back and watched their first reunion in the Remake and they’re was definitely something romantic there; I wasn’t imagining it —
Claire: “Leon!” [races down the steps to meet the hunky rookie cop]
Leon: “Hey Claire.” [casually looks away trying to look cool like he takes on armies of the undead every day, so this is all no big deal]
Claire: “We gotta stop meeting like this. Heehee...” [giggle, giggle, looks at him slyly]....
Etc, etc....

What would have made more sense:
Claire: “Leon! Oh thank God! Help me! This place is crazy! I saw these scary monsters in here with long tongues and we gotta get out of here!! This police station is a deathtrap! It’s like a f&$@*ing maze in here! I saw a guy get pulled in half and his guts we’re hanging out!!”
Leon: “Holy &#%$! ... stand back, let me see if I can shoot the lock on this fence!”
Claire: “We’re going to die!! Arrghhhh! Behind you!!!”

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Blimey, is that really how it goes in the remake? Yeesh.

I'll say one thing for the PSone era's robotic voice acting; it left no room for such tonally-awkward nonsense. Should any romance blossom in the original later on, I'm pretty sure it'd be something along the lines of "Wow. I am in a state of disbelief regarding our survival. Do you want to consume nourishment before we engage in intimate relations?"

Of course, what would make even more sense...

Claire: "Oh my God, help! A couple of zombies just jumped me!!"
Leon: [looks at Claire and notices a large blood stain on her sleeve] "Is that your blood?"
Claire: "Huh?" [looks at sleeve] "No idea. In all the confusion, I kinda los-"
Leon: [shoots Claire right between the eyes] "Like heck I'm waiting to find out."

...so thank goodness for a little bit of Hollywood heroism, right?

Making It So Since 1987

Col_McCafferty

This is all well and good folks but have you all found the three medallions yet?

😜

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

@Col_McCafferty I do! Worth noting that I’m playing the B scenario which speeds it up significantly though.

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah there's not too much of the streets @nessisonett (Especially in the B route I think) but there's already a notable difference with there only being a slot for the Unicorn Medallion in the main hall!

Oh? I don't have an arrange game setting @RogerRoger on my copy. Just a choice of Easy or Normal difficulty (With easy giving you 128 or so Handgun bullets to start with)... That's pretty neat regardless letting you start with all those goodies!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

I was going to be play this with y'all (replaying as Claire, that is), but I've just been really busy since last week, so I'm afraid I'll be giving this Game Club playthrough a pass. It'll still be fun to read how things go for people, though. All things considered, RE2 is a terrific game.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Col_McCafferty

I reached a certain point where not being able to save the game is a pain and lost some progress.

Not quite Persona 5 levels but a tad annoying. Still, second time round it was easier anyway as I knew what to expect.

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

@Col_McCafferty I’ve lost already about an hour and a half in total since I’m on hardcore and Mr X just loves to explode your head. That’s part of the fun for me though!

Col_McCafferty

@nessisonett I ain't playing on hardcore, surprised I haven't put it on easy!

Yeah but it's a tad annoying esp when time is more limited. I had to go back to a previous area and saved there, hopefully the enemies I've dispatched won't respawn. If they do.....easy mode it is lol

Col_McCafferty

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic