Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 361 to 380 of 2,131

ralphdibny

@Th3solution @Ralizah Nice! Yeah I did the cyberdemon last night! It was a cool boss. I actually had no problem with him in the mars base, I blew my bfg load early and Gauss cannoned him with not much regard for my health.

But then...I was transported to hell and he got resurrected, I had barely any health and not much powerful ammo so this time I had to dodge the attacks and stuff but I managed to get there in the end after dying a few times!

See ya!

ralphdibny

I finished the game today and by the end I just thought it was bloody brilliant! It's way better when there are tons of monsters and your just jumping around and hitting the boost pads, swapping weapons, doing glory kills and all that. I know it needs to build up to that level of chaos so you can get used to the controls but it's almost over too soon once it does. I found it really fun which is something I would rarely say about a FPS.

I was going to go back and mop up the collectables and challenges but some of the challenges in later missions just sound ridiculous and it has kinda put me off the idea of it unfortunately. I ended up getting a lot of the dolls in the end though.

I played through one of the classic levels I unlocked and it was really barmy having a classic level but with the modern gun and enemies. Really weird mix but cool and actually tempting to run through them all because they do offer a different experience to just playing an old Doom game.

The only thing I thought was a slight negative and it's quite understandable because a lot of the best games do it is that there was a bit of texture pop in at times. Like sometimes I'd pick up a doll and it would just be the shape and the texture would pop in really quickly just before my character puts it away so I'd miss it. It happened a couple times on the levels too. I was playing it on One X and it does say it's an enhanced game but I couldn't find any settings to do with it. There was a motion blur setting which I turned off so that might be all there is. Otherwise the game was silky smooth and looked great! I think at times I did long for the flashlight though because I like looking in dark corners for some reason, also I'd prefer a bit less red fog so I can see the game in all its beauty.

Overall it was a great game and I'm tentatively looking forward to Doom VFR providing it doesn't make me 🤮 with motion sickness!

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny Wow! I must be closer to end than I thought. I’m working through the Titan’s Realm, so maybe I’ll be finishing up soon. I’m glad you liked it. I’ll post more of my thoughts as they come.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution You only have a couple of levels left!

@ralphdibny Congrats, good to hear you enjoyed yourself. I think we might actually all finish on time folks, for once 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@Th3solution lookin forward to hearin your thoughts!

@nessisonett cheers! Yeah should do! Not sure if I'm Gona join in for resi 2, money's a bit tight but I've got a couple of eBay listings watched so I'll see if I can get it cheap enough!

See ya!

Th3solution

Managed to beat the Hellguards bosses. Actually felt they were easier then Cyberdemon. The first phase was the hardest. Maybe it was easy since I remembered to use my BFG.

Actually the room at the end of VEGA Central Processing was one of the toughest for me. I kept getting swarmed and then fell into the electric field on the lower level. Stupid pinkys trapping me into a corner and then I just get wailed on by Hell Knights and those big floating demon balloons 😅. But it was fun and I finally cleared it. Started Argent D’Nur and taking a short break, might go back and try to finish tonight or tomorrow.

@ralphdibny No pressure but looks like RE2 is on sale on PSN for $16 (not sure what the going rate on eBay is) or the combo pack with RE3 for $40, and Doom Eternal for $30. I have to admit, I’m tempted on Doom Eternal, as much as I have enjoyed this game so far.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution Argent D’Nur is actually the final level!

Th3solution

Well I completed my first DOOM game.
Some final thoughts —

As others have said, I can definitely see why the game is highly regarded. It’s the epitome of quick adrenaline rush laden gaming. It just feels good in the way you move and shoot. Overall, I thought it was a blast.

I’m not a big fan of FPS, especially when trying to platform and jump, but this game seems to get it right. The platforming is forgiving just enough to make traversal intuitive. At first I though I was going to dislike not having a sprint button, but the fact that you’re basically sprinting all the time means less concern about another button to push in the middle of a combat scenario and more time to just shoot and melee, which is the real reason to be playing the game.

The guns are varied enough to provide decent individualization for a person’s playstyle, yet not too confusing to be buried in minutiae with excess options.

The story was basic and relatively pedestrian but it fits the type of game it is. The voice work of the four speaking characters is fantastic. I loved what each of the voices brought and the casting was on point. And of course as others have mentioned, the fitting harsh music in the background serves well to add to the adrenaline pumping and dopamine saturation.

But the star of the show is the gory combat and dynamic battles. The addictive nature of those are what makes the game tick. And I have to say that now it’s done, I’m craving a bit more. Not sure if I’ll return to try to max out weapon mods, finish Rune trials, or complete all secrets. Or whether I’ll delve back into the SnapMaps or try my hand at any of the DLC or Multiplayer. Probably not, but I do think I’ll have a hard look at DOOM Eternal eventually. It’s too bad PS5 probably won’t be getting the next DOOM game.

Anyways, when shall we start Resident Evil 2!? From one bloodbath to the next!

Edited on by Th3solution

nessisonett

Right, that’s everybody done DOOM so we have liftoff on Resident Evil 2! Everybody that’s up for it, now’s your time to buy/download before Friday, which is when we’ll get underway. The opening hours are perfect for Halloween before we get into the meat of the game in the following weeks.

@RogerRoger @ralphdibny @phil_j @crimsontadpoles @Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder @ralphdibny @Th3solution @Thrillho @mookysam @LieutenantFatman @LobsterJohnson @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Tjuz @Kidfried @Octane @Trisque @Col_McCafferty

LieutenantFatman

@nessisonett
I'm currently painting some miniatures for the Resi 2 board game literally as I got your message. Probably as close as I'll come to taking part though as I already played the remake a lot. Great game though.

LieutenantFatman

Th3solution

@LieutenantFatman So as a RE2 Remake veteran, what’s your opinion about which character to start with?

I read up a little and I think most people start with Leon, but I read a convincing argument to start with Claire, since saving Leon for the second run helps it be a little easier since he is a little stronger character for the end game enemies.

(I’m not very good at these games, so I’d like the combat to be in the easier end if possible. I don’t need a cakewalk, I just enjoy it better if I’m not dying and having to replay huge sections over and over.)

nessisonett

@Th3solution Personally, I played Leon normal then Claire Hardcore so I’m going to play Leon Hardcore this time as it’ll be his B scenario too.

LieutenantFatman

@Th3solution
I played as Leon first and that worked really well for me. Personally I'd say just go with your gut.

LieutenantFatman

Col_McCafferty

I started it last year with Leon before stopping as I found it a tad....intense lol.

I've played Days Gone and The Last of Us Part II this year so going for the zombie/freaker/infected hat trick!

Will start a brand new game as Claire this time round and when I'm stuck (not if!) I'll be sure to ask you guys for help.

😉

Finished the main story of RDR2 so just aiming to get over 90% and I'll then start Resi 2, likely to be Tues but could be tomorrow.

Edited on by Col_McCafferty

Col_McCafferty

Ralizah

@Th3solution I don't think it matters who you start off with, since RE2R doesn't have the zapping system features of the original.

I played as Leon when it came out, so I'll be playing on a higher difficulty as Claire for this run.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

Does this game still use the ink ribbon system with save rooms? Or is there quick saves?

nessisonett

@Th3solution Normal difficulty uses auto-save and is a lot more forgiving. Hardcore uses ink ribbons and imo is a much scarier/tense experience. Depends on what people want from the game!

Th3solution

@nessisonett I’ll probably be plenty scared on the lower difficulty. I do like the classic nature of the ink ribbon system though. It feels very old school PS1-like.

JohnnyShoulder

I thought the RE2 Remake was good but was not blown away by it as some were. Plus my disk drive in my ps4 is playing up a bit recently. For my haloween game I've just started The Evil Within. Depending on that goes I may give the sequel a go too as they are both on PS Now.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I played that a couple of months back and it’s really quite good. Feels like a proper sequel to Resi 4. I’ll get round to the second game at some point but I’ve got Metro Exodus first.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic