Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 261 to 280 of 2,131

nessisonett

@R1spam Yeah, you could honestly finish up the main story and then play the DLC at your own pace alongside DOOM!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Trisque

@nessisonett I don't think I will be done by the end of the month. I'm taking my time with Hollow Knight, and really enjoying that approach (I believe some people here have already finished the game, and I'm still exploring areas in Greenpath). I already played DOOM 2016 so I think I'll sit the next month out!

Trisque

nessisonett

@Trisque No problem, it’s a meaty game so you can always just share your thoughts when we’re playing DOOM as well.

nessisonett

I’ve been stuck on Hornet 2 the last few days but beat her my first try today. The end is within sight, I think!

nessisonett

Everybody who’s up for playing DOOM 2016, this is your call to buy/download in time for the weekend! We’ll be getting started on Saturday and should all be done for Halloween, when we’ll get started on Resident Evil 2. If you’ve been missed by the tag-athon, please feel free to just drop a message if you’re interested and I can add you to my tag list too.

@RogerRoger @ralphdibny @phil_j @crimsontadpoles @Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder @ralphdibny @Th3solution @Thrillho @mookysam @LieutenantFatman @LobsterJohnson @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Tjuz @Kidfried @Octane @Trisque

Thrillho

I’m part way through DOOM Eternal at the moment so will give this a swerve. Fantastic game though for those that haven’t played it.

One month I might actually take part in this

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

I've not finished it, but everytime I go to play it i struggle to get back into it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ralphdibny

@nessisonett cheers for the tag, I've got it downloaded and ready!

I might be a bit late to the party though because I'm still half way through doom 3 so hopefully I'll get to start Doom 16 some time next week!

See ya!

Th3solution

Locked and loaded.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@nessisonett Yeah, I'll be participating in these next two playthroughs.

Got a timeline for DOOM? A level every two days or something?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Good point. I’d say that we’re probably looking at 3-4 levels a week. There are 13 levels so depending on your availability and speed, we should be 4 weeks at the latest. 4 weeks from Saturday is Halloween and honestly, the opening hours of RE2 are perfect for that, meaning we can get into the meat of the game during the start of November.

mookysam

I'll skip DOOM as I've already played it. Absolutely ace game though, so I hope that everyone who's new to it enjoys it.

Depending on what else I'm playing at the end of the month, I'll join in for Resident Evil 2. Mr X looks terrifying so it'll be perfect for Halloween gaming!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I'm grateful for the tag, but the new DOOM games have always looked a little too juicy for me, so I'll take yet another pass, I'm afraid.

I'll be reading this topic with interest, so I hope you all have a blast (both figuratively and literally)!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LobsterJohnson

I tried Doom when it first came out, but I found the frantic pace a little too difficult to manage thanks to my ageing eyes and arthritic fingers. However, I’m nothing if not a glutton for punishment so you can count me in, at least until my eyes bleed or my hands seize.

LobsterJohnson

nessisonett

DOOM starts today (despite me being about 20 minutes away from finishing Hollow Knight) so everybody feel free to start playing!

Our target for the first week is at least the first 3 levels and onto the 4th if you have enough time!

Tjuz

Thanks for the tag, but I'll be skipping DOOM. Not my kind of game! I'll definitely keep an eye on joining Resident Evil if that's still on for Halloween.

Tjuz

nessisonett

I beat the first two levels of DOOM tonight and honestly, it’s ok. I’m not getting that satisfaction from killing demons I thought I would to be honest. I might just not be in the right mood!

Ralizah

I'm really enjoying DOOM. I've actually played way further into it than I originally intended to by this point.

I will say, it's a little surreal advancing further into the game. I've played that initial outside Mars area in the demo SO many times that I know its layout like the back of my hand.

I love the feel of platforming and jumping in general in this game. It feels like ultraviolent Metroid Prime. That sense is further reinforced by the large, complex, and multilayered environments, and the suitably complex 3D maps that go along with them.

I'm mixed on mission challenges being a thing: on one hand, they give me a goal when entering combat beyond just killing stuff. On the other hand, I feel like the combat challenges are making me play the game in ways I don't really intend to, versus just killing demons without a care in the world as in previous games.

I love the area layouts, but I kind of miss the puzzle elements from DOOM 64. The closest thing this game has is collectibles hidden in secret areas, although that's really more about observation and experimentation.

Oh, and on that note: I really, really like how they turned DOOM into a collectathon. It feels like there's something to find in every cranny, which really makes exploration feel rewarding.

Combat is awesome as well. I know the "glory kill" system rubs some people the wrong way, but I feel like it adds a satisfying rhythm to combat. Although trying to activate particular glory kills for mission challenges can be a bit of a pain.

Difficulty-wise, I feel like "Hurt Me Plenty" is satisfying enough, considering how tough a lot of these enemies are, and the game likes to swamp you with tons of these things in large arenas. The Hell Knight has taken some getting used to. I died to the first one probably five times before I figured out a good rhythm for killing him, but everytime I see one now, it still send me into a panic.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic