Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 281 to 300 of 2,131

nessisonett

@Ralizah Ah, I’m playing on Ultra-Violence and I feel it more accurately recreates the difficulty of the original! Mission challenges can be a bit annoying to be honest, it took me so long to get two kills with 1 shotgun blast. Also, just a heads up that you can change the camera in the settings so that your gun is centred like classic DOOM.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Oh, that's cool. Although, given the free 3D aiming and presence of crosshairs/aiming reticle, I don't really feel the need to center my gun.

I'll probably play on a higher difficulty in the future if I end up liking it enough, like I did with DOOM 64 (and like I did with the DLC for DOOM 3).

Those shield enemies are pretty annoying. I'm pretty much reserving my grenades just for them now. Also finding myself using grenades a LOT more in this game than DOOM 3. Not sure why id thought introducing grenades in a game where you're creeping through claustrophobic corridors 90% of the time was a good idea. They're a great fit for the huge environments in this game, though.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I haven’t actually worked out how to throw grenades on PS4, I end up forgetting to press random buttons while I’m surrounded by enemies 😂

HallowMoonshadow

You aren't the only one to completely forget about using grenades @nessisonett. Granted I only went through DOOM 2016 on the standard difficulty setting but... I never used 'em aside from the tutorial when you first get them 😅

Glad to see you've been enjoying yourself and DOOM '16 so far @Ralizah. The hell knight's really are quite a threat at the beginning of the game.

And yeah the challenges can be rather hit and miss (The glory kill ones I find can be rather finicky). The weapon mastery challenges (That you unlock when you fully upgrade a weapon mod line) in particular can be quite annoying to pull off

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Thrillho

@nessisonett I'm playing Eternal and there are so many things you can do that it can get a bit overwhelming when you're mid battle. When it all clicks though, it feels so good.

I hope people are still finishing Hollow Knight though as I'd like to hear more thoughts on it.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho I literally just have a few DLC things and the final boss left in Hollow Knight, I explored way more than I did the first time I completed the game. I’ve played like 40 hours of it so I’ll finish it soon!

Jaz007

Doom 2016 is such a great game. I semi-remembered to use the grenades in Doom. I definitely found moments though. Some of those sponges needed it. I found that certain areas have a little trouble on standard difficulty, but I could totally see playing it on a higher one and needing more diligence with using all your abilities.
I think the biggest upgrade for me was the double barrel getting two shots per reload instead of one. It felt like a different game at that point. The speed and ferocity you had just upped notably. And you already have a lot.

Jaz007

nessisonett

I’ve just finished the first 4 levels. I don’t know if I just rushed considering I did find rather a few secrets but I thought it would take longer! I guess I should go and finish Hollow Knight now but if other people catch up, we could always get the game done in 3 weeks instead of 4.

Thrillho

@nessisonett Yeah, exploration is what makes the levels take so long. Eternal has a fast travel mechanism which only unlocks right at the end of the level to allow you to go back and pick things up which works well.

I look forward to your final thoughts on Hollow Knight. Fingers crossed for a good ending!

Thrillho

R1spam

I'm still trundling on with hollow knight and stopped my me andromeda playthrough to concentrate on hollow knight. Will probably have to give doom a miss just for time constraints but will try join in for re2.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

nessisonett

That’s me got all grubs and soul fragments in Hollow Knight. I’ll dip into Godseeker and beat Nightmare Grimm and then probably head for the final boss.

Thrillho

@nessisonett Of all the DLC, Godmaster is probably the least necessary. If you’re a huge fan of the combat and an absolute pro, then go for the pantheons.

I did one or two of them but couldn’t do the others. Fair play to those who can as I thought I was pretty good at the game having beaten Nightmare King Grimm and all the coliseum levels.

There is an additional ending if you complete them all but I was more than happy to watch that one on YouTube.

Thrillho

Ralizah

Wow, the Revenant got nerfed big time. Those things were a total pain in DOOM 3, but they're one of the easier enemies in this game.

I've gotta say, I think DOOM 2016 is the one to find a good balance of narrative and gameplay pacing. I've had to stop a few times to watch holograms or listen to Samuel Hayden, but NOTHING like DOOM 3's constant interruptions. Like Metroid Prime, most of the lore and backstory and whatnot is relegated to optional text files in the menu. But I still always have a sense of what I'm supposed to be doing, whereas older DOOM games just feel like random levels scattered about as opposed to a journey or story or something.

I also like how EVERY weapon in this game is satisfying to use.

Also: the Summoner feels like a boss the first time you fight it. And it's always the first demon I target if I'm surrounded by them. It's pretty much the Arch-Vile on steroids.

The Baron of Hell feels like a bit of an HP sponge at times, but it's functionally very similar to the Hell Knight, so I managed to deal with it pretty efficiently .

The game feels great with double jump boots now. All these flying jumps and mid-air shootouts are a lot of fun.

I actually like the Berserk power-up now, where it makes every attack into an automatic glory kill. And more brutal ones than usual: Doom Slayer actually ripped a Revenant in half!

The level design is interesting, too. Very layered, with shortcuts, tons of verticality, etc. I got knocked off a platform one point and was sent flying back half a level, but I discovered a shortcut that allowed me to quickly regain my lost progress.

My one big gripe so far is the lack of quicksaving. I HATE checkpoint systems in games.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah The checkpoints are very strange. You keep collectibles but go back to a seemingly random area with no idea what’s been saved and what’s not.

Ralizah

@nessisonett It sucks, because the levels in this game are really long if you explore and go for all the collectibles. Easily the longest in the series to date. I don't understand why I can't just save somewhere and be done with it. Not everyone has hours to play games without the occasional interruption.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

Tried Nightmare King Grimm a few times and Hollow Knight and it’s one of those ‘f**k off this isn’t even fun’ kinda bosses. Can’t really be arsed with it so might just go finish the game.

Thrillho

@nessisonett I think it’s one of those ones that is tough but fair. Admittedly, it took me a LOT of goes and I only just managed it!

Knowing when not to attack is crucial and using the “scream” ability when he uses the flaming poles is massively helpful.

I still get palpitations watching this back (spoilers I guess for those still playing)

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Honestly, I just really hate bosses that can be over in a second if you make one mistake. The first Grimm was hard but I felt like I could do it. This just doesn’t feel like I could do it.

Thrillho

@nessisonett Yeah, I’ve said before on here that beating him was up there with beating any of the Souls bosses for me!

I wouldn’t bother with the Pantheons then to be homes as they are even more infuriating.

At least the final boss will seem a breeze for you now!

Thrillho

nessisonett

Well I beat Hollow Knight. I beat the final boss first time somewhat accidentally as I think there was a second form that I totally missed out on. Time to go back and try it again!

97% in 42 hours, 41 minutes. I might have to mop up that 3%.

Edited on by nessisonett

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic