Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 2,131

RogerRoger

@BowTiesAreCool There might be a few startling moments here or there, depending on personal preference, but the game isn't out to scare you so no, there aren't what I'd call "jump scares" (and I'm a pretty big wuss, so I reckon you'll be safe regardless).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Played a bit of it now. Jumping feels a bit weird but then I’m arse deep into Tomb Raider 1 so I’m pretty sure my judgment is impaired. It’s alright actually, quite chill with decent puzzles.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Mr_B021

Played a few hours this weekend. I like it. It feels like a mix of ICO and the Witness.. For now it is a relaxing puzzle/exploration game to play at the end of the day, but it also feels a bit empty.. I wonder if they mix it up in the second half

Mr_B021

PSN: Mr_B021

nessisonett

@Mr_B021 Yeah, my feeling is that it’s a bit flat and empty as well. I dunno, it just feels very ‘made in Unity’ and I understand it wasn’t exactly made on a huge budget but it could do with a slightly more interesting world.

render

@Mr_B021 @nessisonett I'm glad it's not just me that thought that about this game. Ico, whilst pretty empty itself, uses that to it's advantage as the settings are such that they don't feel like they need extra stuff. RiME though just feels like it's lacking something but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

render

nessisonett

I’m afraid I’ve given up on RiME. It just isn’t my thing at all!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Oh noes! That's unfortunate indeed. Each to their own, though; if you're not feelin' it, then you shouldn't force yourself to continue.

Still, I'll be interested to see your answer to Keith's question.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@Keith_Zissou It was a sorta general feeling of boredom. It sounds stupid but I’m playing the first Tomb Raider at the moment and it has similar platforming but also has a lot more going on besides that. RiME funnels you from one puzzle to the next without really much of a story or payoff to keep me hooked. I couldn’t really get invested in it.

Th3solution

Played some more of this extremely charming game, and it’s something that is just what I expected so far - wearing its Ico influence on its sleeve - but I can definitely see where the style of game wouldn’t be for everyone. It’s simplistic and quaint, subdued and ponderous, and it’s taking a while to really get going with whatever underlying story there might be at its core. I have to admit, playing it alongside another game does make me push it aside for the more exciting and bombastic option. So I have made slow progress. But whenever I play it I like the chill factor it provides.

I’ve heard the game is really short, but I’ve been taking my time exploring around and I think I will probably end up spending more time than most. If the number of collectibles is an indicator of how far along I am, then I’ve a ways to go yet.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

I started playing tonight. Finished the first area and inside the tower and seen a buried ship or something. Having checked a guide for progress measurement, I see that I've finished chapter 1 of 5 (chapter 4+5 are apparently shorter).

Will keep going tomorrow, maybe I'll do a chapter a night or something. I got a pang for the collectibles in chapter 1 but having missed a number of them, I probably won't go for them. I think I'm just going to breeze through the main portion of the game.

See ya!

LobsterJohnson

I dont know whether its just me but I really love the atmosphere in this game.

LobsterJohnson

Mr_B021

I’m in chapter 2. It mixes it up enough to keep it interesting. The puzzles are a bit hit or miss for my taste. Some are very creative, others simply too obvious. The atmosphere and music are still great. I’m wondering where it is going story wise.

Mr_B021

PSN: Mr_B021

Th3solution

Yeah, I’m in the second area and it’s quite a bit different. The basic gameplay and move set are the same, but the approach is varied enough to keep it interesting and on your toes. I honestly still don’t know what the heck is going on with the story (if there really is one) but I like the atmosphere.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

There are a lot of comments I wanna make, but I'm gonna sit on my hands.

Glad you're all finding something to like, at least!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I’ve been semi-brutal in my boredom of it! We haven’t had many negative opinions of the games we’ve played, maybe it’ll add something to the thread 😂

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Well yes, my apologies, I should've specified "those who've persevered" back there (said without judgement, particularly since we're doing Resi 3 next and I'm a big ol' wimp)!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

I decided to stay up later than I should have and polish off RiME. Decent game I think. I don't really fancy going back for the collectibles. Worth playing to the end just because it's so short.

What do people think of the ending? It managed to get me in the feels even though logically I think it was a bit random. Probably didn't need to go down that route, I think the mysterious Island where you can fill in your own lore is story enough. I guess the whole island/tower thing was a bit of a purgatory or something.

ICO is a fair comparison that people have made. I do think it's significantly different but there are key and incredibly noticeable ways in which they are similar.

While I wasn't reminded while playing, as I was writing this I did think of The Dark Tower by Stephen King and drew some parallels to that book.

Edit: sorry, I take my purgatory comment back now that I've looked at the chapter select and seen what each chapter is called.

It's probably something along the lines of the dad reckoning with his own sons fate, possibly imagining what he went through in order to overcome his own grief I guess

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny @RogerRoger @phil_j @crimsontadpoles @Ralizah @Th3solution @Thrillho @mookysam @LieutenantFatman @LobsterJohnson @Tjuz @Kidfried @Octane @Col_McCafferty @DerMeister @Mr_B021 @Fight_Teza_Fight @R1spam @TraCuz- @Keith_Zissou

Happy Halloween everyone! We’ll be starting Resident Evil 3 whenever you’re ready and that can be either the original or remake depending on your preference. This shouldn’t take us too long as it’s not supposed to be that lengthy a game. Enjoy and as always, let me know if you want added or removed to the tag list!

LtSarge

@nessisonett Nice job with the title, I actually got a bit scared that my computer was acting up, lol.

I was planning on joining this time since I haven't played RE3 Remake yet but sadly I haven't been in a mood to play horror games lately, so I'll be sitting this one out. I'll still be reading the posts as I did play through the original RE3 a couple of months ago and I think it might be interesting to compare the differences between the original and the remake.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge I was a little worried that the mods would have a heart attack seeing that! Feel free to just follow along if you aren’t feeling it, we’ve got Bioshock 2 or Sonic Mania coming up next. Well, I’ll probably run another poll after this one since there are so few suggestions that we haven’t played yet!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic