Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 2,131

nessisonett

@ralphdibny You know it’s bad when they make you use the microwave beam 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett I literally didn't use it in the main campaign apart from when I initially got it. The final boss fight of Ancient God's 1 uses it fairly extensively 😅

I guess it makes sense to have something that is weak toward it. Almost everything else has a rock-paper-scissors like element to it and you use basically every gun, if not every mod.

The guns/mods I was using for most of the game were:

Super Shotgun/Meathook - which was my favourite weapon by a long way. I loved the Meathook aspect of it.

Heavy Cannon/Quickscope - need this for lots of things but especially the maykr drones

Chaingun/Turret - was really good for ripping through stronger enemies

Plasma Rifle/microwave - didn't use microwave until the DLC

Ballista - didn't use the mods on this very often, it was good enough without it. Wasn't this called a Guass Cannon in '16 too?

Rocket Launcher/lock on - I used this a lot too, especially when I ran out of shotgun shells.

BFG - I used the Unmaykr a bit but it would always leave me with under 30 rounds when I finished off a big enemy so I preferred using the BFG solely so I wouldn't get left with a useless amount of ammo. That's if I had to use it

But yeah, finished Ancient God's 1 now, hopefully 2 isn't nearly as hard 🤞😭🤞😭

I think Ancient God's Part 1 on Hurt Me Plenty (normal) difficulty is as at the top end of how hard a game can be before I'm not willing to play it. Admittedly I stuck this one out because I want to play the last Doom game and find out more of the story. It's worth it for the story alone though, it's an excellent follow up to Eternal - lore wise.

I don't play a lot of shooters but this one seems so involved and clever in how it's designed and is genuinely a lot of fun. It's way better than like CoD and stuff like that which I find quite generic. Still worth a play if it's a PS Plus game but it's just a time waster, I'd never say that CoDs were really good games. Is Doom the only shooter like that? Or are there other shooters that have either similar or different but clever mechanics to them?

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny Titanfall 2 springs to mind. Really good single player campaign. Probably over a bit too quickly, but definitely one of my favourites from last gen.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ralphdibny

@JohnnyShoulder that's a good shout actually. I've played that already and I thought it was pretty good. Definitely more unique than the bog standard shooter but not as unique as Doom. I wish the campaign had incorporated more of the moves like the grapnel gun from the multiplayer as I don't really play MP that much.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny I guess there’s Wolfenstein?

ralphdibny

@nessisonett oh yeah I suppose. I have played New Order before but I don't remember it being that intricate but then again, I don't remember a lot about it at all. I think I am going to play all of them from Wolfenstein 3D onwards soon-ish though, like I did with the Doom series.

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny If every game was as unique as Doom then that wouldn't be that unique anymore. 😉

There is Ghostrunner, but it is not really a FPS.

Metro Exodus is awesome, and one of the most immersive games I've played recently.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

I’m past the point of no return now so I’ve beaten the first section of the final stretch. Almost there!

ralphdibny

I had a very quick dream this morning before I woke up. id Software had announced that they were making a video game of Shang Chi and the Ten Rings in the style of Doom. I quickly wondered if it would be Xbox only before realising it was a dream and waking up. I think I been playing too much Doom 😅. Oh well, time to start Ancient Gods Part 2!

@JohnnyShoulder I recentishly bought the first two metro games for like a fiver. I remember when the first one came out, not sure if it was on console but I don't think I had a modern console then anyway but I just remember it looking really good and thinking I'd never have a PC good enough to play it

@nessisonett noice one!!

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny I never played the first two games as I came across a glitch which halted my progress in the first one, but I think Exodus plays a little bit differently than the prequels.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

And that’s Doom Eternal done! I feel like it was maybe a couple missions too long but otherwise was really quite good. Although the platforming was a bit dodgy at times too.

ralphdibny

Finished Ancient God's Part 2. This game from main campaign to DLC was freaking amazing. I loved it!!

There was an epic Avengers Endgame level cut scene at the beginning of the final proper level in Ancient Gods 2. I think both DLCs are absolutely worth playing if you were a fan of the main game.

AG2 did seem a bit easier than 1 in the end, maybe just because I was better at it or maybe it was just easier. Anyway, I'm grateful that it was 😅

There's some nice settings in the DLC too that are a bit different from the main game aesthetically, well worth a look.

Lots of new enemies too. I have to say that in the end, the new enemies and the new weapon in AG2 (a hammer) really balanced out the stuff from the main game nicely. The hammer makes Marauders slightly easier because it extends their daze window. There is also a new imp variant called the concrete imp which you need the rolling shotgun mod to beat, finally get some use out of my normal shotgun!!

But yeah, a truly epic game from start to finish. I don't use that term lightly!!

Im also really noticing that the Doom guy looks a bit like Michael Shannon who played General Zod in Man of Steel and is as equally angry as Zod was lol

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

@nessisonett nice one!! Do you reckon you'll try out Ancient God's too?? There's even more platforming 😅. It's quite cool though, there are these things to latch the Meathook mod onto so you can swing yourself around to different platforms!

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Ralizah did you ever get around to the Final Doom megawads in the end? I remember you saying a while back that you hadn't played them yet. I still haven't but I think I have to now so I can cap off this playthrough of all the Doom games!

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny My budget’s a bit thin at the moment but yeah, I think I’ll definitely play The Ancient Gods sooner rather than later!

ralphdibny

@nessisonett ahh fair enough. It's decent but I can't say how much it's worth in terms of money. Across both DLCs are 6 fairly short levels that are padded out with a lot of encounters. I (think I) paid £26.99 for the deluxe edition last November and I feel like it was worth that for everything it included. Might have been 21.99 actually

See ya!

mookysam

I'm quite far behind, but have now finished Chapter 5! It's so intense and full on it can be a bit overwhelming to the senses, so I stopped wearing my headphones. It's actually quite cool hearing the sounds come from the controller, as I completely missed them before.

Anyway, I think I'm getting the hang it now. At the beginning I found it a little intimidating (especially the slayer gate arenas), and it's not particularly easy even on easy, but now I'm much more in the flow in terms of zipping around, switching between equipment, and utilising different weapons effectively. I'm not dying quite as often as a result. Normally I don't bother with things like grenades, but here they can be a lifesaver, and I like using the flamethrower and chainsaw to quickly gain some armour and ammo respectively.

I doubt I'll have it finished this week as planned, but don't have Mafia so will happily carry on next month when I'm back from visiting family.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

ralphdibny

I think I'll say one more thing about Ancient God's and then that will be it 🤐... Unless I remember something else I'd like to say. The main game was bonkers but the DLC is turned up to 11. There's loads of stuff that you just wouldn't imagine turning up in a doom game such as a dragon mount in a cut scene but weirdly it all seems to fit in with the new world/story/lore they have built with this new game. It's bonkers but not out of place, if you know what I mean. I think it's worth taking time to work out what all the different races are, there's kind of an epic moment featuring a familiar face from the main campaign in it too which was nice.

@mookysam ahh sweet, making decent enough progress anyway I think! I think there's another 5 levels to go before you are on the home stretch then a kind of finale that stretches across the last 3 levels after a point of no return. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on it!

I played it on Xbox so I didn't have any controller sounds unfortunately. A technical thing I noted but couldn't really do anything about was that I played most of the main campaign at home with the sound through speakers and the music was louder than the SFX but then I came to my partner's house and played the final level and the DLC here where the sound just comes out of the TV and it was the other way around, the SFX was louder than the music. Sorry that's not very interesting 😅 and is unusually specific to how I've played it lol

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny @RogerRoger @phil_j @crimsontadpoles @Ralizah @Th3solution @Thrillho @mookysam @LieutenantFatman @LobsterJohnson @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Tjuz @Kidfried @Octane @Col_McCafferty @DerMeister @Mr_B021 @Fight_Teza_Fight @R1spam @TraCuz-

Alrighty everyone, that’s us starting Mafia: Definitive Edition. It’s going for £21 in the PS Store here in the UK so I suppose it can’t be too expensive elsewhere in the world too. There are 20 chapters so that means roughly 5 a week, which shouldn’t be too bad. As long as you at least aim to finish for the start of September! It’s a great game and I’m looking forward to diving into the Classic difficulty so hopefully those of you joining in enjoy it too.

JohnnyShoulder

I've installed this yesterday in preparation, but have started another game in the meantime. Hopefully I don't become too hooked and get sidelined for too long! 😬

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic