Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 1,361 to 1,380 of 2,131

ralphdibny

So I've finished level 10 of Doom Eternal and am in the Fortress of Doom about to pass a Point of No Return. I think there is 3 levels left of the main campaign.

I'd like to compare this game to Doom '16 but I played that last year so I feel like my memory may be incorrect. I also wouldn't say I played Doom '16 in as much depth as I've played Eternal so there is stuff I may have missed when I played it. So please bear those points in mind when I refer anecdotally back to '16!

After a number of months away from playing games in this series, Doom Eternal took some getting used to. The gameplay feels a bit stiffer than '16, there are more invisible walls and perhaps most obvious is the addition of a huge series spanning lore! Having to relearn this kind of kill-loot mechanic was a bit strange too.

However, a few levels in and it all came back to me. I was whipping around levels, dashing, jumping, double jumping, grenading, chainsawing, and generally blowing demons to hell (they should thank me for the free ride home!). It's awesome. Brilliant game, on the gameplay side of things at least!

On the lore side of things... Well I'm an absolute sucker for lore when it's a series I like. I feel like the game introduced it a bit cack-handedly at first. It throws a bunch of stuff at you like The Betrayer character, the argent race, the Sentinels etc. and I struggle to remember if any of this was in Doom '16. This all gets explained (and well, I might add) later in the game.

What an awesome story it is! It ties up the Doom Guy's appearances in Doom 1, 2 and 64 nicely with our current gen Doom Slayer. I'm still not sure how Doom 3 fits into all this still though, if it does at all. I love it.

I love how it kind of starts off as the Doom II to 2016's Doom with its Hell on Earth setting but quickly travels all around increasingly wackier environments. Including one that I am very much looking forward to in the final few levels. I am really looking forward to ripping and tearing through some sanctimonious, holier-than-thou people later in the game 😅.

I think the biggest difference in this game compared to the rest of the series, is just that it's funny. Like really funny. I'm not sure if it's because there are a lot more characters in it, more foils for the Doom Slayer's man-with-no-name wanderer style archetypal personality. It turns out he had a personality all along but this game really drills home that his silence, his actions and his relentlessness is just who he is. I think one of the funniest moments in this game comes around level 7/8 (might be 6/7) which has been recorded in this video I found on YouTube. (Don't watch if you are not that far in the game!) Skip to 26 seconds for the funny moment.

I know I posted pictures from the Doom Slayer's man cave before which also adds to the humour in this game but generally, I think the man cave is brilliant. There's even a touching picture of our main guy with his deceased pet (from Doom 2 I think?) on the wall. An event that despite being played for a quick laugh in its original game, appears to actually be referred to quite solemnly (and obtusely, so obtusely that I'm not even sure if this is what it definitely refers to!) by a main villain late in Eternal's campaign.

I also like that a certain gun from Doom 64 makes a special appearance in this game if you complete all the Slayer Gates, albeit slightly revised from its original form!

I've completed what's available to me so far 100%. I've got all the collectibles and done all the level challenges and all the weapon challenges that I've unlocked. I think fast travel is a god send (or should that be Khan Maykr-send?) for those few items that you just miss on your first go around. I don't think '16 had fast travel but I may have been more inclined to 100% the collectibles at least if it did (or if I knew about it!). A weird glitch has come up where I started a level from the mission select to grab some collectible and it reset my challenge progress for that level too. I still have the 3 sentinel batteries you get from them but it is a slight blemish in my otherwise spotless demon slaying record. The challenges can't be done twice (can't collect a record that I've already collected!)

So yeah, this game takes a while to get in to, but it's amazing when you do! My Rating = TB! for Totally Bonkers!

Some pics that I've taken in my time with the game (I've omitted anything spoilerific and may add those toward the end of the month!):

A bad day at the office:
Untitled
Untitled

This number is upside down!
Untitled

This familiar texture has returned but yields no results if you do as it instructs:
Untitled

Hell on Earth:
Untitled

The Fortress of Doom!:
Untitled

I'm not sure if that white light in the sky is supposed to be Earth from a distance? Could be a moon
Untitled

Experimenting with removing my HUD (should have done this for all my photos but couldn't be bothered as I wanted to get on with playing! I did increase my Field of View at least for all my photos. I wanted to get a lot into frame!):
Untitled

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Thrillho tagging you because last year you asked me to tag you when I played Doom Eternal. I think you wanted to see what it was like playing them closer together but unfortunately I didn't end up playing them that close together! My thoughts so far are above anyway in case you are still interested.

Please ignore if you have no recollection of this though 😅. I think it was you who asked for a tag!

See ya!

nessisonett

I beat Super Gore Nest there, a pretty good level but not quite as interesting a setting as previous ones. I better get a move on though, apparently that’s only like mission 5.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

Good to see people enjoying themselves. I shoulda joined in, since I have Eternal on PC, but... honestly, after my DOOM marathon last year, I'm pretty burnt out on these games!

@ralphdibny lmao that works almost too well. Good work on the shop job.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

KilloWertz

@Ralizah I wish I could have joined in as well since I still have yet to play this after playing the 2016 one sometime last year, but there's other games I wanted to play too. Just didn't work out, but maybe one of these months (like most of the time with the Xbox club as well).

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Thrillho

@ralphdibny I might have done! I gave up trying to follow the story closely as so much is hidden in the text files that I lost interest in reading (there seemed no point in reading each one as you got it and I couldn’t be bothered to read several in one go at the end of a level).

I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned the platforming though as that was a common criticism of the game. I thought it was unnecessary, especially when you’d get to points where you had to run around hunting for the right coloured bit of wall to jump onto. Luckily it wasn’t particularly widespread in the game though.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@Thrillho I think that's one thing I forgot to mention actually. Reading the text is better in this game, maybe the writing is bigger or something? The after image I got from '16 would last a good 5 minutes or so making the game unplayable as I was more or less blind in the important part of my vision. The afterimage I get from reading text in this game only lasts a few seconds at most. Still though, I've only limited my reading to the collected pieces of paper.

I haven't noticed any issues with the platforming really. I think it was more intrinsic to progression in '16 but seems to be more for getting the collectibles in Eternal. There's a couple spotty bits for the latter but nothing mega hard, some things were a bit obtuse but maybe that's more the "puzzley" bits where you have to find a statues leg to smash or something

See ya!

mookysam

@ralphdibny Nice write-up of your impressions thus far, and nice screens. I'll see how I get on with the story further in, but luckily it's besides the point when it comes to DOOM's over-the-top, hysterical action. I've been reading the bits of lore as I collect them, and appreciate the work put in to fleshing out the world, but reckon it's a bit overwhelming at this point. It sounds like it really clicked for you later on though. Your Hungry Cacodemon photoshop is brilliant!

@Ralizah You have no idea how tantalising that gif was given how hot it was indoors yesterday.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@mookysam lol, I wouldn't go anywhere near orange juice when it's hot. Too sticky.

It's actually been quite hot outside where I live. Extremely warm and humid. I feel like I'm living in a swamp.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

ralphdibny

@mookysam thanks and thanks! 😁

I agree that it's a bit besides the point to even consider the story in a series like Doom. Those old screens of texts in Doom, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Streets of Rage etc really managed to set the scene for me when I was younger though. Probably had a vivid imagination! I think the cartoon/films helped in the case of Mortal Kombat though!

See ya!

nessisonett

I beat three levels tonight, which means I’m relatively close to the end. The last one I played seems to weirdly tie in with lore and stuff from across the series. Not sure I particularly care about DOOM lore (Metroid Prime, it is not) but I can appreciate that it was relatively well executed for this sort of game.

HallowMoonshadow

Aww thanks @ralphdibny! Glad to be back! Last few weeks were a little rough but nothing I'm not used to!👍

And YES! That photoshop is everything I wanted and more!

I don't buy game related tat all that much but if ID came out with that I think I'd have no choice but to get it 😄

Nice mini review of DOOM Eternal up there btw and some really good looking shots to go with it!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@ralphdibny @RogerRoger @phil_j @crimsontadpoles @Ralizah @Th3solution @Thrillho @mookysam @LieutenantFatman @LobsterJohnson @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Tjuz @Kidfried @Octane @Col_McCafferty @DerMeister @Mr_B021 @Fight_Teza_Fight @R1spam @TraCuz-

We’ve got a week left of Doom Eternal so I’m just checking in to see if the ones joining in think they’ll make it in time! We’ll start Mafia next weekend but there’s always a little bit of room for people to continue the current game if life gets in the way.

ralphdibny

I'm on the final level, having finally stuck it to that sanctimonious hypocrite of a cult leader in the previous level. Faced a glitch in one of the encounters in this final level though. An encounter just wouldn't complete despite me killing all the demons so I got stuck between two barriers. I've quit the game and hopefully it fixes itself when I go back to it later!

@nessisonett looking forward to Mafia! I'm gonna try and finish the main campaign of Eternal today and make a start on The Ancient Gods

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy nice, good stuff!

When I was looking up pics of a Cacodemon to Photoshop, it seemed like the enemy had taken on a bit of a life of its own. Lots of cute variations of it on Google image search already including a plushie! Might have to get one to err....cuddle at err....night 😂

See ya!

ralphdibny

I played the first level of Ancient Gods 1. It's much harder than the main game, even on the same difficulty. I'm really glad I waited to play Doom Eternal until it had all came out because I'd hate to have to not only relearn the game but also do it on what is ostensibly a difficulty that is harder than the standard "Hurt Me Plenty"

It's also quite a long level, I imagine because I died a lot though. I can't remember if it's 3 or 4 levels in this first DLC but I guess I'll appreciate the longevity of it by the time Ive got to the end. Will crack on with it tomorrow!!

I think in the main game, I didn't "reload from checkpoint" more than say, 4-5 times for any encounter. I died more than that because I would have used lives but that's the maximum amount I properly died. I only got offered (and turned down) the sentinel armour two or three times during my playthrough. I think the most I've died in an encounter in this first level of Ancient God's is probably closer to ten times which shows the increase in difficulty.

See ya!

ralphdibny

I think the enemy I hated most in the main campaign was that marauder thing that shot out spirit dogs and had a green glint at the moment when you could stagger him.

In level 1 of ancient god's part 1, you fight two at once 😭. In level 2 you fight one that's been empowered by a buff totem and you can't destroy the totem until you beat him as it's locked away behind a barrier.

Anyway, just one more level of Part 1 to go which I'll do tomorrow. Hopefully part 2 is easier because this one is killing me and I'm only on Hurt Me Plenty! 😅

Is anyone else going in for the DLC as well??

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Those marauders are just plain evil. Eugh.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett I'd be quite happy if they weren't in the game at all 😅. Easily the least fun baddy to fight

See ya!

ralphdibny

Oh my days, im doing a slayer gate in the third level of AC pt.1. it's ridiculous. 2 arch viles and all their spawns, followed by 2 blood Maykrs (new enemy) and 2 doom hunters, topped off by a possessed marauder (spirits are a new enemy that possess and buff other enemies, you have to kill the possessed enemy then use the otherwise fairly useless microwave beam to then kill the spirit).

-_- this is going to take me a while I think!!

Edit: Christ almighty I finally beat it! That was ridiculous

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic