Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 1,341 to 1,360 of 2,131

Voltan

@Thrillho I think I might switch to the lowest difficulty too. I don’t think I suck at it but I’ve been playing on the default one and it still gets so intense that it makes me only want to play the game in short-ish bursts (like one level at a time).

Voltan

ralphdibny

@Thrillho nice, yeah I did do that teleporting malarky on level 1. Maybe I will blitz the levels to experience the game as intended and then go back for collectibles later. I wasn't using a guide tho, just exploring the map entirely. I think the collectibles show up on the map when you get close to them anyway so you know there's something to look for.

Seems to be a few cut scenes. I didn't read any of the codex entries in '16 either because they mess up my eyes. The tiny white text on black backgrounds gives me an after image for ages so I can't see what's going on in the game for a while when I unpause. It seems a bit better in this game, maybe because the codex text is larger (even if the tutorials are still miniscule) but yeah, I might still only read the collectible story bits and not all the enemy and weapon entries.

I did see that extra lives mode on the difficulty select screen, sounds interesting! There are 1ups in the normal campaign, they're purpose is to respawn you where you die instead of a checkpoint. You can collect them up

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

mookysam

I'll start Doom Eternal tomorrow. The first one kicked my arse a bit lot, so I had to turn the difficulty down to easy.

@ralphdibny Wasn't the villain of Doom '16 some demented half-robot woman or something? I definitely remember demons.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

ralphdibny

@mookysam ohhh yeah, I forgot about her and I also forgot about this panel in Doom VFR that said "Do not shoot". Obviously I shot it and behind it there was some weird shrine to that half robot woman. I think her name was Olivia. I don't know whether it was a demon or a human employee that really fancied her and made this shrine 😅

Luckily, I took some screenshots of it:

Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

I beat the third level there, which ended in a brilliant combat encounter that reminded me of old FPS games like Unreal Tournament. The arenas in this game seem like a step up from 2016, they flow brilliantly with all the boosters and such.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TraCuz-

@nessisonett Nice! They make unlocking that dash in the 2nd level feel so rewarding! Playing on PS5 is a noticable upgrade from PS4, currently playing at 120fps and I'm noticing animations I completely missed before.

Have you paid much attention to your Dualsense in gameplay? Haptic feedback isn't so busy and I think it's because it's not a PS5 game from the ground up but I gotta say this might be my favorite integration of the adaptive triggers. The first time I've noticed that every gun feels "different" and it didn't come across as gimmicky.

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

nessisonett

@TraCuz- Yeah, haptics aren’t fantastic but the adaptive triggers really add something without being too distracting. Reminds me of the Tony Hawk upgrade in that sense!

mookysam

Progress has been a little slow this week, but hoping to make up for it over the next few days. Anyhoo, finished the first chapter, and really like how smooth and fluid it is. It also looks really nice on the PS5. I haven't noticed the adaptive triggers yet. Is it with certain weapons or does a setting need to be activated?

@ralphdibny Yikes, that shrine's probably the creepiest thing I've seen in the games! It's surely made by a randy cyberdemon, hopeful that her arm is battery powered.

Black Lives Matter

ralphdibny

@mookysam haha quite possible but the room was a little too small for a cyberdemon. Maybe it was a teenage cyberdemon, would explain the randiness then!! 😂

See ya!

Voltan

@mookysam there's definitely some trigger resistance with the non-automatic weapons (including the shotgun, so you should be able to notice it from the start)

Voltan

nessisonett

Doom Hunter Base complete! Overall a pretty good chapter actually, with a great boss fight at the end there. The Super Shotgun absolutely shreds bosses, glad I’m upgrading it!

ralphdibny

Slow progress for me as I had a few days of work that knackered me out and took up most of my days. I've done two levels today so I just finished level 4! Missed a collectible in that level actually so I had to go back into mission select to get it. Luckily you can just "Return to Campaign" once you've collected what you need and you'll retain it without having to finish the level again.

The mission challenges haven't been too hard so far since they've been introduced compared to Doom '16. I didn't bother with the ones in '16 but I think I'm going to try and go for all of them in Eternal if I can.

I like that these games are kind of following the settings of Doom 1+2 and this is kind of the Hell on Earth iteration so far. I know we go to some crazier locations later in the game but I am liking the snippets of Earth that we are seeing.

I am about confused about all these different races though. I seem to only remember there being humanity and demons in '16 but now you have like the Argenta, some bloke called the Betrayer, the Sentinels and every demon seems to be classed as a different race. I've got no idea what's going on really!! I know there was Argent energy in '16 but I thought it was just Hell energy so that's why this new race is confusing me a bit.

I love the look of the Maykrs though, I guess they are kind of meant to be the heavenly opposite to the hellspawn even if they are quite hellish themselves.

Also I don't really get where all these behemoths have come from too! They look bloody cool but I just don't understand what their story is or how they link to Doom '16

Anyway, I thought I'd take some screenshots from the Fortress of Doom. Skip over these pics if you want to see them for yourself but I thought they were interesting...

Some satirical magazines:
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Some Big Box PC games!
Untitled

And some book parodies:
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny Haha! Those are great!
Some of them are really humorous.
“Why I’m So Great” by Dork Norkum. Certainly a jab at Duke Nukem. 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

@Th3solution oh yeah for sure! I think the other books on that shelf are mainly games by Bethesda/Zenimax like Prey, Rage, Wolfenstein, Fallout etc. I think there's a few non Bethesda games represented up there too. The other shelf is parodies of real books but Doom-ified. I spot Salinger, a couple of Orwell's, Wilde, Ayn Rand, Philip K Dick and a few other classic classics and modern classics!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

mookysam

My slow progress continues, mostly owing to not wanting my PS5 to contribute to the hell heat currently consuming my top-floor south-facing flat. I finished chapter 2 though, yay!

Things I've learned so far:
Precision platforming on small sinking platforms suspended over lava is not fun.
The UI looks is a bit crowded, but I discovered I could customise it.
And
My tenuous grip on the shards of my sanity weakened further still after entering a Slayer Gate and promptly getting my arse handed to me on a platter with a parsley garnish.

However, I do really like the frenetic, pulse-racing action (Slayer Gate experience aside), and how smoothly it handles. The gameplay loop is very satisfying indeed. And as @Ralizah will surely agree, Doom's over-the-top gore is very juicy.

Looking forward to getting further into the campaign!

@ralphdibny I was questioning why I suggested it was a randy cyberdemon, but after not being able to comprehend anything happening story-wise, do almost wish that the plot revolved around robot lady and her posse of teenaged cyberdemons! The book titles in those screenshots are hilarious. 😂

Black Lives Matter

ralphdibny

@mookysam 😂

The story was massively overwhelming in the first few missions. I was totally lost and had no idea what was going on and thought I was forgetting stuff from '16.

I've just finished mission 10 and I'm before a Point of No Return and the story has been massively explained in that time. Stuff like who that Betrayer is, what all the different races are. How that links to Humanity and the Doom Guy as he is in the first 4 games as well as '16. Well maybe not Doom 3 actually, but yeah.

I have been reading the lore collectibles though, the bits of floating paper you pick up throughout the levels. It's hard to get a grip but I think it makes a lot more sense. You get a lore overload in levels 9 and 10 that basically explains everything that's confusing about the first 8 levels

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Ralizah

@mookysam

Untitled

Modern DOOM in a nutshell.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Another one here with praise for those screenshots regarding those book titles @ralphdibny!

Teaching primary school kids for a living the one that jumped out at me was "The Very Hungry Cacodemon" and I'd absolutely love to see a proper version of it

Eternal seemed a bit divisive for some people compared to the 2016 version so it's good to hear everyone's enjoying it so far!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ralphdibny

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy heya and welcome back! I hope the school term didn't treat you too rough!

You've actually inspired me to make it on Photoshop now 😅. It's a bit rough around the edges but here is my attempt:

Untitled

I'm loving Eternal at the moment. I'm planning to write up some more detailed thoughts shortly!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic