Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 2,131

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Will be watching you folks from the safety of the shore this month, I'm afraid, but am interested to find out more about Subnautica, as it sounds pretty interesting. Best of luck, y'all.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

So... Subnautica then?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Apologies, I’ve been slaving away in the kitchen for hours 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

Not my sort of thing, but I'll be interested to hear what people think about it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LieutenantFatman

Good timing, started playing this a couple of hours ago. Enjoying it so far, a shame there wasn't any real introduction in terms of a story or background but the game play loop is enjoyable so far.

LieutenantFatman

nessisonett

Played a couple of hours tonight, although I must have forgotten to claim it while it was free on PS4 so had to play on PC instead! I have a scanner now though, which is useful and I seem to be able to interact with the wee fragment things in the cargo crates after scanning them.

HallowMoonshadow

Ha ha it's ok @nessisonett... Make something nice?

I'd played it previously for 5 hours so I have a few tips for anyone and everyone. Especially if you're playing on the survival setting of the game...

▪ Bladderfish (The purple translucent like fish) are the most important for your survival as they can be turned into water with your fabricator.
▪ Make the air tank and flippers as soon as you can. The items for those aren't terribly hard to find in the starting shallows.
▪ Make sure to make a scanner... Looking for cargo boxes and scanning the insides will eventually give you the schematics to make the machines and tech inside (Which you will need)
▪ An air pump and pipe can be used to make a breathing point if you're really exploring the depths of areas (or just found a good point for farming certain rescources).
▪ The pod will dispense 1 first aid kit per day (or thereabouts)

I think that's a good enough set of starting tips for the time being?

I know a little more if anyone needs anything else explained or help with certain things

And remember there is a PS5 version out now that's a free upgrade even if you got/redeemed the PS4 version through the stay at home stuff if I recall correctly!

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

LieutenantFatman wrote:

Also don't waste your time doing what I did at the very start by trying to board the large ship on the horizon.

You can actually get on the Aurora (I'd done it in the previous five hours of playing)... But you need to craft a number of special items in order to get on board.

A laser cutter, the... gravity gun thingy, a radiation swim suit (I think?) and the repair tool

Oh and don't forget a fire extinguisher too

As for a progress goal (and being rather cryptic about it)... "Meeting with the Sunbeam" should be a decent enough goal?

R1spam

I've played for about 45 mins and managed to build a scanner, fins and 02 tank. I'm playing with next gen upgrade on series x and it looks nice. Have found a cave that I need to build some pipes and a tube to get down to so will try that next time out. Going to give it a few more hours before I make a call but the game hasn't grabbed me yet. Hoping that when I start to uncover some secrets (pressuring there are some), that helps hook me in.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

nessisonett

Made a bit more progress. I now have a seaglide which is great fun. I can’t find any of that fabric stuff to make fins though, no clue where to get it.

R1spam

@nessisonett I think I got them from seaweed seeds, can't remember the real name but there's tons of it round the starting area.

XBOX: Placebo G

nessisonett

@R1spam I’ll have a look then thanks. Haven’t really seen those seaweed things but I have a high capacity O2 tank so maybe I’ll find them further afield!

Th3solution

So, got to spend a little time into this game - probably 2 hours or so. Boy, they don’t give you much instruction or tutorial, do they? I guess that’s the point, but it’s been a lot of trial and error on my part. They don’t even teach you the controls fully. The developer must be assuming players have a certain level of familiarity with the survival genre, for which I am fairly uninitiated. Thankfully I did play a dozen or so hours of No Man’s Sky a few years ago so I feel a certain acquaintance with the gameplay loop. It really reminds me a lot of NMS... although without the guidance and instruction. To be fair, perhaps some of the tutorial stuff is buried in the menus and logs, which I can’t be bothered to read.

And for those who might remember, in the past I’ve expressed my disfavor with underwater gameplay in general; the floaty-ness and imprecise nature of movement is really frustrating. Subnautica does as fine a job as possible, I guess, but underwater swimming is still not my favorite traversal mechanic. And in this game floaty movement is further complicated by an unusually small focus area for picking an item; I’ve sometimes had to spend my whole oxygen supply dancing around an item back and forth trying to get the “pick up with ‘X’” prompt to stay long enough to hit the button. And speaking of movement, there’s this strange tendency to sink to the bottom while swimming so I have to constantly be pressing L1 while swimming because I like to hover several meters above the floor so I can see more of the terrain and spot items better. The pull of gravity toward the bottom feels too strong.

And the vast ocean is very disorienting. This is certainly by design, but it makes the exploration no less frustrating. I have repeatedly found a nice cache of resources, only to discover that while harvesting that my inventory is full, so I need to head back to the pod and do some fabrication and storage, knowing full well that I’ll never find this nice spot again. I see there is some kind of tool I can create that helps you leave a trail so you can find a spot again, so I guess I’ll work on making that.

As far as fabrication, I’ve made the first O2 tank, the knife, the air pump thing (which seems worthless right now... not sure what or how to use it), the repair gun, the fins, flares, a couple floating storage containers, and the scanner. I’m going crazy trying to find the last of 3 blueprint pieces for the vehicle dock thingy, which is apparently key to progressing to create the seamoth. I feel like I’m wandering aimlessly otherwise. 😅

Nevertheless, thanks to @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy for a few early tips. They have come in really handy.
And yes, I’ve ventured into some underwater wreckage, unknowingly into a radiation field and died quickly of radiation poisoning. I also have contracted some kind of underwater bacteria infection too. Not sure how to cope with these maladies, so I just die. My first 3 death seemed to be “freebies” but now I’m losing inventory if I die.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@ralphdibny Haha! Yes, underwater controls have plagued us from the beginning. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

Not sure what the controls are like on PS4 but I actually quite like them on PC! I’m tempted to check out the VR mode too, although using PSVR on my laptop with Trinus can be a bit fiddly, it makes me feel violently ill and simulating being underwater might make me feel even worse 😂

ralphdibny

@nessisonett 🧐 that's a thing?? Is it better or worse than using PSVR normally? I would have thought better with the extra power of PC to back it up but I'm guessing the non-natural config throws up some drawbacks

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic