Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 921 to 940 of 1,074

LN78

@kyleforrester87 There's a great video on YouTube by Super Eyepatch Wolf on "Berserk" that's a good intro if you're finding the whole thing a bit daunting. I think Volume 11 (out of 13) is due out this Summer so there's plenty to get your teeth into.

LN78

kyleforrester87

@LN78 Unless I am wrong, the book I have got is the jumping off point for the lot, is that right? Even so, do you know if it throws you in at the deep end? I used to read a lot of Garfield when I was younger so I am hoping it's as easy to get into.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

LN78

@kyleforrester87 Oh yeah. It's just like "Garfield". If I remember correctly you're a "Final Fantasy" and FromSoftware fan. You'll be fine.

LN78

LN78

@kyleforrester87 I was always more of a "Calvin and Hobbes" person. Largely because I prefer funny and clever comic strips.

LN78

LN78

@kyleforrester87 It's incredible. As a fan of the franchises I mentioned you'll find yourself recognising quite a bit (both in terms of imagery and story)I would imagine.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

HallowMoonshadow

Been watching Psycho-Pass (Season 1) the last few days and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Love Akane and Kogami as the two leads and the villain I find rather interesting too 😄

... Though the murders in episodes 6-8 are a little unsettling with the imagery thanks to the whole "artwork" motif to that killer has.

But yeah... Very enjoyable Cyberpunky Crime Drama with some Psychological themes and social commentary.

Good stuff.

Though I've heard season 2 is a bit of wet blanket and season 3 came out recently apparently but is only in Japanese.

I should probably ask for some recommendations as I've only watched 11 anime series and read 2 more series as manga's... So I'm not very well versed in this despite liking my Japanese games well enough.

I haven't even watched Ghost in The Shell for example 😂

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

crimsontadpoles

@HallowMoonshadow

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

But yeah... Very enjoyable Cyberpunky Crime Drama with some Psychological themes and social commentary.

That's also a fairly accurate description of Ghost in the Shell, so you'll probably enjoy that. The original movie is still one of my favourites, and the original anime series (GITS Stand Alone Complex Season 1 and 2nd Gig) are also wonderful.

In terms of recommendations, it depends on what you're looking for. Studio Ghibli movies are always an easy recommendation (Spirited Away being my favourite of them), Nichijou is a great slice of life comedy series, then there's the more serious shows like Death Note or the action packed JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

There's still so much anime that I'm unfamiliar with, so I still feel like a bit of a noob in this subject.

kyleforrester87

@HallowMoonshadow I’m a bit of a manga veteran these days, having read…150 pages of Berserk, so I would thoroughly recommend that. Beyond that I can only recommend Ghost in the Shell 😂

Although, I did watch Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle, both of which I enjoyed to various degrees. I also saw Your Name and Weathering With You recently, which are both very gooey but pretty fun.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

HallowMoonshadow

Well considering it's a good 5 days later for me to reply I'm sure you've already met Griffith by now @kyleforrester87 and maybe even got past that arc 😂

I have actually read it before but it is rather hazy admittedly and I can barely remember it...

There is an anime series or two I believe not to mention I think there's a trio of films that you might wanna check out if it's got it's hooks into you that bad 😄

A shame it's never going to get finished now though with the creator passing away last year.

I've heard of Jojo a couple of times but never really known what it's about @crimsontadpoles aside from having very flamboyant character/art design ... I'll probably give that a look soon enough though!

I have watched Deathnote before and I'll definitely be giving it another look when I can 😄

I actually didn't know there was an anime for Ghost In The Shell so I'll be sure to give those a look too.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

LN78

@kyleforrester87 How are you getting on with "Berserk"? I forgot to ask if you bought a digital edition or one of the hefty black and red hardcovers.

LN78

kyleforrester87

@LN78 I got the Delux book, it’s really nice! I have only read The Black Swordsman and The Brand so far though. I had a stomach virus last weekend and most of the week so just sat around dying and feeling sorry for myself, mostly.

kyleforrester87

LN78

@kyleforrester87 Hope you're on the mend. How are you finding the whole back-to-front and right-to-left experience? A lot of newcomers to manga have a really hard time adjusting to it. And yeah the deluxe editions are nice. If you decide you want to carry on there are usually discounts available (from companies like Reed Comics) if you buy more than two at a time.

LN78

kyleforrester87

@LN78 yeah it’s weird reading backwards. It got used to it relatively quickly but I still get tripped up on the order when there are a lot of panels on the same page. I paid £40 for this one, didn’t think it was bad considering how big the book is but in reality it doesn’t take too long to get through it!

kyleforrester87

RR529

Just finished up the Jaya Island arc in One Piece the other day, and something about Bellemy's voice was bothering me the entire time as it sounded familiar yet I couldn't exactly place why, until the very last episode when it hit me it was Radditz's voice (from DBZ, dub for what it's worth).

The VA doesn't even do anything to make him sound distinct, it's just 100% Radditz.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic